New Speed van Hiding place

Page 1 / 2
weaver2010, Oct 7, 6:34am
Over the last 12 months (thats how long it has taken) a parking bay has been appearing on the side of SH4 in National Park Village.Now we figured that was to make it a bit safer for the Tourists to snap their photos of the scenic wonders.
Well looks like we were wrong because last night appeared a Speed Camera Van!So it was built for the safety of the camera van operator.they think .muhahaha

andrewph, Oct 7, 7:13am
Got a big bag of Z nails!

les6, Oct 7, 7:26am
or a rocket launcher!

toot5, Oct 7, 7:33am
i second the nails.

next-to-normal, Oct 7, 8:02am
come on the govt needs money,and this is the best they have ever come up with.this is it.

weaver2010, Oct 7, 9:14am
I actually think this is a cheap fix to an area where there has been a few accidents.Ignoring the 80kph limit when theres a few turn offs in to what is a holiday town with slower moving traffic emerging or entering those roads and a junction towards SH47.

After a serious accident on this piece of road a couple of years ago there was a push to reduce the speedlimit to 50kph and improve the junction.However what was effective more was having a patrol car there as quite a visual deterant and the cops still caught people blindly ignoring the limit as well as a clearly visible cop car.

If the rvenue collected actuallly gets used to do improvements on that piece of road then fair enough but I doubt it!Then again simple solution really you have been warned the van is there so slow down!National Park is not the place you want to crash anyways due to the distance that help has to travel to rescue you.

weaver2010, Oct 7, 9:16am
Seeing the traffic flow tonight heading to the snow no doubt that cameras probably going to run out of film or should say memory.

gunhand, Oct 7, 9:18am
Yea but people who speed dont crash, there better than everyone else on the road and need no limits. And who has ever heard of anyone crashing whilst speeding, urban myth I reckon

weaver2010, Oct 7, 10:04am
Actually Gunhand of 4 incidents in the last 2 years on that stretch of road in all 4 incidents the vehicles were travelling over 80kph (the speed limit).However there were as always contributing factors which had the vehicles not been exceeding the speed limit may well have avioded.One involved a motorbike who found out about t-bones

Either way the fact is a Camera Van has now found a home there and if you dont want to feed the system then simply pass this monster at 80kph.

crzyhrse, Oct 7, 8:30pm
Thanks, mate! I love to start the day with a good laugh!

gunhand, Oct 7, 8:32pm
Either way the fact is a Camera Van has now found a home there and if you dont want to feed the system then simply pass this monster at 80kph.

Edited by weaver2010 at 11:05 pm, Fri 7 Oct

Yea but what would people moan about then.

footplate1, Oct 7, 9:22pm
Yes, it is a tempting stretch but it also encourages wanderers and scenery-gazers so it is a stretch warranting caution - van or no van.And better there than parking adjacent to passing lanes where they catch more frustrated drivers than idiots.
Appreciate the advice, though - I have been preferring that route to the Desert Road for my trips.

urbanrefugee54, Oct 7, 11:02pm
why don't you just park another vehicle in the spot, if you don't want it there.

nightsky1, Oct 7, 11:18pm
.don't want a speeding ticket huh !.
Hmmmmm. I know -keep to the rules !

and If you can't keep to the rules then get your missus to drive.

weaver2010, Oct 8, 12:42am
Try the whole sentance next time you qoutebecause you miseed the bit that stated "but I doubt it!"

weaver2010, Oct 8, 12:59am
And you missus obeys the rules does she!

elect70, Oct 8, 2:30am
Put a permanant sign up warning of speed cam erain parking bay ahead .Its us verses them .

gammelvind, Oct 8, 2:47am
Haha you just have to love this moaning, it's like the rugby fans moaning when the ref votes for the other team. Remember it is all a game, do a forward pass in rugby and you get pinged, go faster than the speed limit .
It really is very very simple.

gunhand, Oct 8, 2:58am
I tend to follow that reasoning as well. all the moaning groaning and excuse making for getting pinged and suposedly adding to the coffers and it can be simply fixed. We have speed limits which are notunreasonable at all.So get over it and stick to the limits or get fined and pay it, then loose your licence if you continue to get caught.
If you want to live in a lawless society move to Botswana or some other shit hole go as fast you like and see how long you last.
Or better still get into politics and change what you dont like.
But having no speed limits would be great for the economy.

plasticboys, Oct 8, 3:52am
yes and the astronauts did not die

weaver2010, Oct 8, 4:08am
Who is Moaning!No me thats for sure I welcome the evil revenue collectors van along that piece of road.As pointed out seen a few incidents along that bit of road that could have been avoided if vehicle were actually travelling at the speed limit.

In a way it is annoying that a few thousand was spent on Earth Moving to put this bay in when it could have been spent on doing the junction improvements and road islands needed that would encourage traffic to slow down.A couple of years ago there was a serious accident at the junction and a number of submissions were made to the NZTA to improve the Junction.THe NZTA came back with the line of some one must die before we consider it.Well this is the cheap solution it seems!

So whats wrong with warning you the camera van may be there!If you think it will be there after knowing its hiding place your not going to fly through!Yes the speed you are doing wont kill but your reactions and stopping distance make all the differance to who you may kill or as the situation has been seriously hurt.

Maybe a game to you but you will be the idiot for ignoring the warning.

weaver2010, Oct 8, 4:11am
The problem though is cameras dont get points so no loss of licence.It was quite common to see a muffty car parked on the side of the road there.Now its gone to soft touch smile for the camera.

gunhand, Oct 8, 4:13am
The speeding and getting caught in general really not just camaras

gedo1, Oct 8, 4:51am
I was just thinking.the camera vanners must love all of us being revenue providers for them.Why!Because if we didn't contribute revenue they wouldn't collect it.I reckon the best way to beat them is to refuse to contribute by providing a revenue stream for them!Then they would be out of a job and too bad for them!

jagman24, Oct 8, 5:34am
what gets me is they go on and on about speeding to get money, and yet what about the boyracers , who drive like crazys , it sames that thats ok, so we all have to pay more in rego for acc because thelosers keep on wrecking cars and filling our hospitals, user pays being it on, then the whole country does not have to get ripped off,