Engine / trans tuning - who and how much!

jazzyjack1, Oct 9, 12:40am
I want to put bigger tyres on my 4x4 and will need to change the gear ratio from 3.73 to 4.11 or so.
Who in Auckland does this and whats usually involved! (labour etc)

mugenb20b, Oct 9, 1:09am
What transmission, what engine, what kind of vehicle, what size tyres!

jazzyjack1, Oct 9, 1:17am
Auto transmission, 4.7 V8, WJ Grand Cherokee, 265 75 16 tyres (stock tyre is 245 70 16)

mugenb20b, Oct 9, 1:39am
Ah, I see. I don't think you'll need to alter your gear ratios, it's not a hell of a jump in tyre size (up to you though). And, sorry, I don't know who in Auckland would do that kind of work. If anything, get a decent suspension lift, if going off road. You speedo will be out slightly too.

jazzyjack1, Oct 9, 1:49am
I didnt think I needed a retune either but the tyre people seem to think I will put strain on the engine and gears if I dont!

mugenb20b, Oct 9, 1:57am
There will be some, but very minimal strain increase on the drivetrain. I had an old Hilux once with 215 R15 tyres on it. I went up to 32 x 11.5 x R15, and there were no problems at all. It's also interesting to note that you were given mechanical advice by "the tyre people".

jazzyjack1, Oct 9, 2:12am
Mechanical minded people state its not worth it and not needed.tyre minded people state its a huge difference and will need a change.

mugenb20b, Oct 9, 2:19am
I am yet to see a Jeep with a blown engine, transmission or diffs due to larger tyres (.and I don't like Jeeps, no offence). Let's wait and see what other posters' opinions are.

ralphdog1, Oct 9, 4:00am
Did the tyre people suggest where you should go!

jazzyjack1, Oct 9, 4:20am
Nope, they didnt know, see a mechanic they said

remap, Oct 11, 12:18am
Check the WOF laws, you will be outside the 5% tolerance available.
Why would you want to change them. The vehicle will handle worse withthe bigger tyres on , more body roll and worse handling.

mrfxit, Oct 11, 12:30am
WRONG .3.6% = Speedo will read 96.4 @ 100kph road speed
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp!action=submit

Nothing unusual for speedo's to be out that or more either side from factory

mrfxit, Oct 11, 12:33am
Going taller would throw the speedo out by an awkward amount that would need recalibrating.
Mechanically it's plenty strong enough to handle far taller tyres but does partly depend on how you treat it.

crzyhrse, Oct 11, 12:54am
The engine is what puts stress on the drivetrain.

mellisa2000, Oct 11, 3:30am
Fit and forget.

mugenb20b, Oct 11, 5:18am
BS!

mugenb20b, Dec 28, 3:56pm
1. More ground clearance 2. More traction off road4. Increased approach angle 5. Increased departure angle 6. Increased ramp over angle 7. Reduced rpm at cruising speeds. 8. Same price as factory tyres. 9. More comfortable ride off road.you want me to carry on!