Just done a cambelt on `97 astra.

boat3, Oct 8, 6:58am
just done the timing belt on my work car,a `97 astra,easy job!the thing runs fine,but its clicking,have checked timing ect still making a clicking sound,its a 1.6 16 valve,the sound comes from the rear of the rocker cover area,anyone had this happen

mugenb20b, Oct 8, 7:02am
No. And, is the cambelt the only thing you replaced!

phillip.weston, Oct 8, 7:02am
did you set the cambelt tension absolutely correctly! I would remove all the covers and check that the cambelt isn't catching on anything. I know with a V6 '97 Vectra I did a cambelt on, it was easy to set the tension in such a way that the idler bearing would push the cambelt out and rub on a cover.

boat3, Oct 8, 7:09am
did the water pump as well,have run it with the cover off,its not hitting anything

mugenb20b, Oct 8, 7:21am
Have you listened to the engine running with bonnet up before you did the cambelt! The clicking sound could just be the injectors.

boat3, Oct 8, 7:24am
no this is far too loud,but it is a similar sound,i am woundering if somehow the lifters have bled down!it does have that sort of sound,its not a harsh metallic ratlle,more of a clatter,definatly familiar with the sound of the car,has been in family for 5 years

mugenb20b, Oct 8, 7:35am
Fair enough. At least we can eliminate the injectors.

phillip.weston, Oct 8, 7:43am
yeah those Opel engines have hydraulic lifters which tend to get noisey. I've found running thinner oil in them helps quieten them down.

trogedon, Oct 8, 7:47am
Is it the old ??

jamez126, Oct 8, 8:24am
This happened the last time I did a timing belt.What had happened was a bit of dirt had got into the wheels that the belt goes around.You have to rev the engine up to 7000rpm for a good minute to get the timing belt wheels to spin fast enough so that the dirt comes flying out.It took me ages to figure this one out.Good luck.

treachug, Oct 8, 8:51am
7000! .an astra!.wow, even though i'm a fan of astras etc -7000 rpm! wow.lol

mugenb20b, Oct 8, 8:54am
Last time I drove an Astra, I couldn't even get to the red line, which I'm sure is less than 7000rpm.

trogedon, Oct 8, 9:02am
I'm no mechanic.but it's best to check the wheels don't have dirt in them first.

panicky, Dec 18, 3:04am
If its clicking you havent set the tensioner up correctly and it will eventually fail.