O.K. I have been asked to do a cambelt change.

amie10, Dec 6, 7:23am
On a 1994 Caldina TZ and I have a couple of questions to ask the experts here.
Can the change be done with the motor in!
And if you have any hints or tricks to make the job easier/quicker that would be really appreciated. Will be changing tensioner, waterpump etc as well.
Thanks in advance.

r15, Dec 6, 7:25am
bit of a prick, but engine in. you'll need to remove the right engine mount, lift the engine to hold it etc.exactly the same as a ST19# corona etc. just a 3s-fe

unless its a tz-g then its a 3sge, which is virtually an identical job

amie10, Dec 6, 7:28am
Brilliant. cheers for that

mugenb20b, Dec 6, 7:29am
I hope you have access to a compressed air supply and a poweful rattle gun. Will save you lots of time. Don't loosen the power steering pump to remove its drive belt. Remove and refit it together with the crank pulley (you'll see what I mean.).

mugenb20b, Dec 6, 7:33am
I forgot to mention that crankshaft timing marks are microscopic, but they are there. Use some brake cleaner to wash off all the dust, and you'll eventually find the little "V" and notch marks. Camshaft timing mark is a dot behind the hole in the cam pulley, so you'll need a mirror on a stick to see it. When you do find timing marks, put your own marks with twink as well as reference points.

amie10, Dec 6, 7:37am
Thanks heaps for your help!

snoopy221, Dec 6, 7:46am
Camshaft timing mark is a dot behind the hole in the cam pulley, so you'll need a mirror on a stick to see it.
And aim ya peepers on the middle lower of the pulley-wind er ova by and till the hole is aboot there-cuas that's where the **dot** is on the head.
Double check the oil pump seal and gasket-lower-of engine towards firewall.any signs of oil seepage in that area and just do a seal and pump gasket while ya in there-K

amie10, Dec 6, 7:49am
Sounds good

franc123, Dec 6, 7:55am
I would say do the oil pump housing gasket as well as the shaft seal as a matter of course, it's both messy and inconvenient when they let go!Its only a very thin O ring that gets baked hard and then shrinks and fractures. I'd strongly recommend getting the Gates timing kit for the 3S from Repco or whoever else sells them, all the seals you need are included as well as the belt, tensioners etc.And a new waterpump of course.

dent, Dec 6, 8:16am
Defintly do that oil pump housing gasket. They seem to be getting quite common at leaking. And yes now the gates kits include those seals.

snoopy221, Dec 6, 8:18am
Yip. for some weird insane reaason caldinas are notorious for it-same mota in a rona and no worries-BUT
In a caldina tis the thing 2 B chkn.

ginga4lyfe, Dec 6, 8:42am
ahh this may help me later on too, I have a 4sfe in my Caldina though

incar., Dec 6, 8:52am
and buy a Harmonic balancer/crank pully puller, they are about $20,4 finger type with slots in it you will need it

carmedic, Dec 6, 9:41pm
Just seen this tread and noticed you??

kazbanz, Dec 6, 9:54pm
given you havent done one before I'd give the whole engine a good clean up externally before starting the job

amie10, Dec 7, 4:46am
Thanks heaps for your offer carmedic. How much would you charge me to do it and save me the drama. By the time I buy the parts at retail it would probably cost the same if you were to do it!

alan1111, Dec 7, 6:45am
OMG if you have to ask questions on how to do it why start the job. I can see this ending in disaster.

amie10, Dec 7, 6:50am
No harm in asking for advice is there! As you may be able to tell I am not a mechanic but am hands on but also know when i'm getting in over my head and do not mind paying a professional to do so. But I really enjoy working on cars in my spare time.

a.woodrow, Dec 7, 6:52am
Good on ya, best way to learn

carmedic, Dec 7, 7:44pm
+3
It??

amie10, Dec 8, 5:26am
Good point. I never thought of that. I will pop in and say hi