Old car with "soft" brakes. how to fix

Page 1 / 2
bella-boo, Oct 10, 6:39am
Hi all, I am about to start a new project, and the first thing that concerns me is the soft feeling when I brake.I realise that older cars drive differently to new ones, but thought this might be a simple fix like new brake pads.Or, will it be more serious, like a full brake upgrade needed.The car isnt here yet, so I cant answer all questions to get a diagnosis, but I will do my best.Thanks in advance.

neo_psy, Oct 10, 6:41am
New pads, new fluid and bleed as a first step.

steve312, Oct 10, 6:46am
Here we go again.

What make, model and year of car!

Some vehicles have less firm brakes as the norm.

dr.doolittle, Oct 10, 6:48am
Did you buy a mystery box!
What do you mean "The car isnt here yet, so I cant answer all questions to get a diagnosis.".
Don't you know what sort of car it is even!

a.woodrow, Oct 10, 6:52am
Well when your Model A arrives, here is how you adjust brakes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=wMizfaKHXVQ

steve312, Oct 10, 6:52am
At this stage we don't know what sort of car we are dealing with so could have drum brakes or disc brakes.Spongey brakes are often caused but seized caliper slides, stuffed brake hoses, air in the system.,

Could be cable or rod operated brakes, brake bands, pads or shoes.

Just a little bit of detail would be helpful.

bella-boo, Oct 10, 6:57am
Sorry, I did do a search for brakes in the side bar for the last year, and it came up with "No results match your criteria".1971 Ford.

fordkiwi27, Oct 10, 6:59am
71 ford what!

steve312, Oct 10, 6:59am
Come on you can do it.

Falcon, Zephyr, Cortina, Mustang!

bella-boo, Oct 10, 7:00am
It's not here yet because I work all the time.I have been to drive it a few times sice I bought it, but it is in safe storage until I can have hubby do the 3 hour drive to drop me off so I can bring it home.So, I mean, the car is not physically within my reach to go look at it.That is, assuming you all can help and need any further info.If not, I will wait to bring it home, and get my local mechanic to have a wee look-see.

dr.doolittle, Oct 10, 7:02am
Cool, now we're getting somewhere.
Would that be the 1971 Ford 'School holiday', or the 'I'm so funny' with the 'NOT' option.

bella-boo, Oct 10, 7:02am
Well, technically Mercury cougar.I thought the age might have been a giveaway to any potential probs for the era.I know some of the mustang parts form the same era are interchangeable if that helps.

bella-boo, Oct 10, 7:03am
School holiday!I dont get it.My kids are home for the holidays if thats what you mean!

r.g.nixon, Oct 10, 7:06am
Drive slow & keep one hand close to the handbrake. That's what I used to do.

bella-boo, Oct 10, 7:07am
Sorry if I'm being vague guys, I've been working since 5am, and just got home not long ago.(Note to self - dont type tired)I do appreciate the answers so far.Thanks.

steve312, Oct 10, 7:07am
Front caliper slides can get very sticky on these.Makes the pads wear wedge shaped and the pedal gets very spongey.

Easiest way to check is to clamp all 3 brake hoses (with the proper hose clamps, not vice grips) get someone to hold pressure on the brake pedal and let each clamp go one at a time.The brake with the excess travel will make the pedal drop the most.If the pedal is spongey with the hoses clamped, then there is probably air in the system.

bella-boo, Oct 10, 7:08am
Good idea, but not a permenant solution.

bella-boo, Oct 10, 7:10am
Now that sounds like an intelligent answer.I will be trying that and any other good ideas just as soon as we both get a day off.

dr.doolittle, Oct 10, 7:16am
I'm glad you got an answer to your "intelligent" question.

bella-boo, Oct 10, 8:57pm
Sorry dr.doolittle, it seems I have upset you, this was not my intention.Although if you thought my question wasnt intelligent, you didnt need to respond to it.I have been working again today since 5am and I am just in for breakfast (be lucky if I get lunch today), and home after 7pm tonight.The joys of being self employed I guess.But dont worry I dont think I will come back to motoring.Enjoy your day.

a.woodrow, Oct 10, 9:06pm
Don't feel that you need to stay away, we just get a lot of vague queries with no car details, kind of like going to the doctor and telling him you have a pain, but not telling him where! So we tease on occasion those posters. But there are a lot of genuine, helpful people here and I'm sure if you had q's about your cougar when you get it, that we can offer good advice. Have a great day :)

richardmayes, Oct 10, 11:58pm
If it's got a single-piston master cylinder (instead of a tandem one) that will make it feel pretty spongy in comparison with any more modern setup, even if it's working perfectly!

steve312, Oct 11, 12:20am
Not correct I am afraid.Since fluid is not compressable, it doesn't make any difference whether the master cylinder is a single or tandem system.The only variation is in the flex around the cylinder mounting point, air in the system, tired flexible hoses or the mechanical parts in the wheels.

richardmayes, Oct 11, 2:20am
^^^That's interesting.

I don't doubt that you're right, but I've driven quite a lot of old Triumph 2000s / 2500s and there is always a huge difference between the brake pedal feel of the earlier ones (single master cylinder) and the later ones that have a tandem cylinder. all other major braking system components are identical. I guess it is in the "gearing" of the master cylinder bore/stroke vs the size of the slave pistons.

bellky, Dec 26, 6:00am
soft brakes on old car - air in system