Commie 3.8 V 3.6 advice needed please

bazza154, Oct 28, 9:06pm
I know the 3.8 is pretty much bomb proof and will last for ages if looked after, but how does the alloy block 3.6 compare for reliability.
I am going to update my old 97 commie and notice from 2005 on are the new engines.
In 12 years all I have ever done to the old girl are oil changes, brakes, tyres, reco starter and alternator, oh and 300.000 k's still going stong. I just had doubts on an alloy block being as good as the 3.8. All help most appreciated thankyou.

jamstew, Oct 28, 9:32pm
a few people have said that while the first of the 3.6's are better on paper, the 3.8's still have the edge in the real world for power etc. that's all i know, hope someone comes along with a real idea!

skyline_guy_r34, Oct 29, 12:21am
I wouldnt even focus so much on the engine. Mate just traded his vt acclaim for a vz sv6 with the alloytec engine. Car has been into the dealers 3 times for 3 seperate issues since he got the car 4 weeks ago. Latest being smoke coming from the rear brakes

icemans1, Oct 29, 12:32am
thanks for the warning

scotty20001, Oct 29, 3:41am
the Alloytec engine is fine, some of the later model VE's had timing chain issues but they were all replaced under warranty, if you are going for the VZ go for the SV6 or the Calais as they have the high output engine with the 5 speed auto and it makes for a really sweet drive, they are pretty bomb proof engine no cambelt or anything like that to worry about, i just cant wait for some tugger to recommend an accord thai in place of a Commodore.

bellky, Oct 29, 3:45am
i would go for a the honda accord thai over the commy if i was you.

scotty20001, Oct 29, 3:59am
*vomit* you just had to be that tugger didn't you!

bellky, Oct 29, 4:06am
that's what i'm here for ;-)

johnf_456, Oct 29, 4:10am
Why does any holden thread turn into a thai honda accord and rice crap bashing when scotty20001 is around. If anything you make some hate holden.

whqqsh, Oct 29, 4:31am
I think its more a case of a Holden thread being turned into a Honda thread 'again'. btw I agree with scotty except Id include all jappas

bazza154, Oct 29, 4:45am
Thanks for the serious input fella's.
There is no way I would be seen driving a recycled tin Jappa.
Commodore until Im carted out.

jarrod261, Oct 29, 4:58am
Want to know anything about Commodores then join this forum

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/forum.php

ninja_man, Oct 29, 5:25am
accord thai will sh*t on any commadore

scotty20001, Oct 29, 5:31am
keep telling your self that enough times and one day you might believe it, the power of positive thinking i guess, typical another ricer idiot.

ninja_man, Oct 29, 5:43am
i was being sarcastic. duh.

johnf_456, Oct 29, 5:46am
Don't worry its just another double face palm moment.

trdbzr, Oct 29, 7:10am
Inbreds are actually quite thick.

icemans1, Oct 29, 12:04pm
scotty, i own a VT calais and i don't like jappas especially hondas - but i don't bleat on about them in EVERY commodore thread, you are an embarrassment to the rest of us commodore owners on here

vivac, Oct 29, 8:50pm
I think this is the point he doesnt understand.

modie61, Jan 16, 11:49am
Is there a Commodore forum based in NZ !