Mig welder purchase advice

pdc1, Oct 28, 10:05am
Time has come to purchase a mig welder.
It's for home use. I don't have any experience with migs.
I've googled it, and I find plenty of advice not to purchase a shit one, but the trouble is how do I know what's any good. Lot's of conflicting advice out there.
I look after my gear and intend to have it for keeps, however I don't want to go over board with the budget if a cheaper one will be fine.
I'm looking for something that welds well, (especially for beginner)and is likely to be reliable. Don't really want to pay more than $1k, but will if it is necessary.
I've got a good old arc welder, and the primary use of the mig will be panel steel on cars, so it doesn't have to be a big one.
Haven't looked into the option of inverter verse transformer yet either.
Keen to hear from people what to stay clear of - cheers

morrisman1, Oct 28, 10:13am
Definetely get gas with whatever one you get. Gasless wire is for the most: crap. you can convert fire extinguishers or buy new bottles and they can be filled at your local fire extinguisher outfit.

I cant really say much more than that with my limited experience with migs

steampunkwilly, Oct 28, 10:34am
If you don't go Inverter, Mr Mercury will get your ass.

cmx4eva, Oct 28, 10:35am
licoln/miller and wia are good machines

taipan4, Oct 28, 11:03am
get one you can use gas bottle on Cig, weld, Lincoln, I would be surprised if you get anything that is any good for under a grand new, Some of the chinese stuff will not have any spare parts in a few years, Suggest you go to a few engineers shops or car repair shops see what makes they use.
In a few years you will forget the xtra you paid for quality but yuo'll never forget the piece of junk lying in the back of the shop, that is uneconomic to repairor can't get parts for.IMHO

big.b-lil.c, Oct 28, 4:19pm
why not buy a good quality second hand one! perhaps look for a brand that has a agent with parts back up not one from mitre 10 that no one has heard of

dalsouthern, Oct 28, 6:27pm
I use a Kempi 150 inverter, running gasless .9 wire. its been welding cowsheds up for 3 years now with no problems.I used to be against migs without gas but if you buy good wire its not a problem really.Not sure about welding panel steel with gasless though

trogedon, Oct 28, 6:37pm
That would be my choice too. Spare parts - if it's just for home use you're very unlikely to need anything.

mrfxit, Oct 28, 7:32pm
From past experience, gasless is only really any good with NEW & very clean steel.
Any hint of paint/rust/oil/ galv etc & it's a splattered mess
Definitely go for a combo gas/gasless model if at all possible.
Save the gasless wire for those random jobs were it's easier then carting a bottle.

If the combo model is a little out of your budget, then try for a gas only model & get 2 bottles (1 large for the garage & a small bottle for travel)
Make sure polarity ( + - ) can be reversed (alloy welding) (Can't remember about that for migs/ does apply for tig)

Pros & cons >>>
Gasless =
+ Portability
+ No bottle rent/certs
+ Minimal setup
+ Cheap units
- Restrictive metal types list
- Crap on tainted steel
- Expensive wire
- Minimal penetration control
- Prone to lots of splatter
Gas =
+ Good penetration control
+ Forgiving of tainted steel
+ Cheap wire
+ Multiple steel/ alloy types list
+ Minimal splatter
- Bottle rent/certs
- More setting up
- Bottle & welder to transport

pdc1, Oct 28, 11:18pm
Yes the welder will be gas, and I will probably go CO2.

Thanks - all good information above, however I'm still stuck with making a decision. Biddy6 has given me the link above, which I've previously looked at. It seems to tick all my boxes, with price & specs. It looks ok, but the question I have is how do you know it is ok!
It also only goes down to 50amps. Is this too limiting for thin metals!

Is there things that you should look for that are signs of quality, or is it as simple as looking for known brands!

socram, Oct 28, 11:56pm
That is a very useful post! I bought a cheapo unit from Bunnings but from playing around with it, it really does need the gas.At least the above answers some of my questions as to why I struggled with it!One day, I'll actually get around to getting the gas for it.

h.e, Oct 29, 1:05am
dont go looking for migs at bunnings,mitre10 etc they are all rubbish.go have a look at BOC ,wilson brothers,blackwoods any engineering stores you have locally,these stores sell reputable,known brands.these stores also sell the consumables and parts you will need.
cebora is a mig which is hard to look past for quality and price

fordzfly, Oct 29, 5:06am
magmate 180 amp A+++
Well for their price anyway. Very good value

lookoutas, Oct 29, 6:42am
Make sure it matches your power supply. No good buying a grunter and you haven't got the ergs to run it.

rob_man, Oct 29, 6:46am
Mines a Cebora from Italy, so far so good. 140 amp bought here second hand for $500 with regulator.

toot5, Oct 29, 6:49am
i brought a kenda 160 amp gas/gasless off trade me about 4 years ago. And last year i got a argon bottle from supagas off trademe to save on rent. Had no problems with it, think the mig was about 800 and the bottle was about 450 delevered, full if i remember right.

ashley0007, Jan 17, 9:40pm
I have had mine for 3 years with no problems, i have used it with argoshield for panel steel and 4 - 5mm plate.

Hope this helps