Nissan Stagea. Are these a good wagon any known faults or things to look out forwe currently have an el coon but will be getting

s.patete, Oct 28, 3:07am
Are these a good wagon! Any known faults or things to look out for!We currently have an el coon but will be getting a dog hence looking at station wagons.Wouldnt mind dropping engine size to save a little on gas but dont want anything smaller than 2L and the stagea seems to be in the middle between most japas and a coon/commodore.

rachael166, Oct 28, 5:15am
I upgraded to a Nissan Stagea from a Subaru Legacy Wagon earlier this year, The Stagea is soo much better! I can fit both our dogs ( A Husky and a Great Dane x) in the boot and they have heaps of room to move around and lie down. Only problem I can think of is they get rust around the wing mirrors but thats easily fixed.

spandkp, Oct 28, 5:22am
All depends on the year, cause they are quite a gas guzzler, even the car dealers tell you that. The non turbo ones arent as bad but still enough to be a guzzler so if you do get one go for a RB25DE not an RB25DET and look for the leather interior ones, then youll get luxury but just be prepared to fork out on gas.

tgray, Oct 28, 6:22am
4 things to remember:
1. they have cambelts
2. rust is VERY common under the front exterior mirrors.
3. all are six cylinders and they love petrol
4.The non facelift model is very hard to sell and worth a lot less than the later model.

vr4_legnum, Oct 28, 8:11am
Il had mine just under 4 years now and it been a awesome car, Never done anythink on it, Just keep going and going and with the cambelt being 40,000kms over due.

Mine is 97 and 4wd with rb25de and it does love gas, around town driving i only get around 350kms from a full tank

Yeah they all rust under the front mirrors and also on the rear hatch door under the number plate.

If you going to buy non facelift with non neo motor, Buy one that is a 2wd with rb25de as it will be cheaper on gas then the 4wd one.

4piggy, Oct 28, 9:39am
Dont go for later model with v6 motor. the vq25dd motor fitted to them has common faults with direct injecton fuel pump costing upwards of $3500 to fix and stereo/heater control commonly plays up costing $1000- 1600 to fix

vtecintegra, Oct 28, 11:26am
The heater controls shouldn't cost that much

bigracket, Oct 28, 11:30am
I have a 97 stagea, rb25 degreat car but . I would rather feed a commodore ( cheaper to run)

jsbike, Oct 28, 8:18pm
1997 rs4 here (2.5 turbo), as above rust under and below the wing mirrors. Pull the mirrors off and remove the foam thats between the mirror and the door, water gets trapped in the foam. A full tank of gas (60L)got me 500km a few weeks ago open road. Around town I get anywhere from 350-450km on the tank.

s.patete, Oct 28, 10:30pm
Thats pretty close to what I get in the coon, id imagine that the non turbo would do a bit better than that.The fuel economy doesnt really bother me too much as at the mo Im getting 12-14L/100ks, or 350-450ks on a tank.

bignzer1, Oct 29, 3:55am
Have you checked out the2003 onwards Honda Accord Euros Station Wagons just about as big in the back, but with2.4ltr cylinders heaps cheaper to run without losing too much power and no cambelt to worry about. I own a 2004 model and loving it. I think they come in a 20ltr 4 cylinder model and a 30ltr V6 as well.

s.patete, Oct 29, 4:11am
Na the budget wont stretch anywhere near that lol, 5 pos 6k is probably realistic. Not in any real rush dont have dog yet and we getting a pup so can share back seat for a while.

jsbike, Oct 29, 4:34am
also as above said, the non face lift are harder to sell, so are cheaper. Got mine for $2500. There was a nice red facelift on here 4 5k last week.

bignzer1, Jan 16, 2:48pm
This might work unsure if boot would be big enough but worth a look 415872264. There are a few more possible in your price range, they have a good name for reliability and a nice ride.( I found the back of them to be a bit ugly).Another one to think about would be a Honda Avancier I had one nice good all round Station Wagon.