Any good! 2001 Nissan Stagea 250RS

Page 1 / 2
richardmayes, Jan 17, 4:35am
Bumping this thread up as I have the same questions as the OP.

Especially interested in the [250/300] [RS/RX] models without turbo or 4WD.

Especially interested if there are known engine / trans / steering rack issues, as these have become the bane of my life. hence why I am going car shopping. I see there is a thread all about problems with pinking.

[On paper I think Stageas look great; decent-sized wagon, just that bit smaller and flasher than a Commode and with pretty sharp looks inside and out. Power to the back axle where it belongs. I especially like the tan interiors as they are probably as near to the style of my old Triumph 2500 as I'll find in a modern Japper.]

vtecintegra, Jan 17, 4:49am
I have a Skyline, but all the same stuff should apply.

The direct injection-related things are about the only mechanical issue I've heard of cropping up.Aside from that the in-dash CD stackers seem prone to failure and are not easy to replace with aftermarket gear.

Bear in mind the 2.5 (or at least the earlier M35 ones) had a 4-speed auto whereas the 3l had a 5.Makes a fair difference, as does the extra torque.

richardmayes, Jan 17, 4:55am
Cheers vtec, I've looked at a couple on car yards and yes the stereos look a bit scary, as well as being also quite integral with the panelling. But I've seen a couple here on TM that appear to have a standard double-slot head unit compartment instead.

If wiring in a stereo is the second-biggest issue, that's definitely a positive.

audi_s_ate, Jan 17, 5:24am
I was in your boat looking at an m35 also but the fact that they are direct injection (and the problems associated with them) put me off. Have also read (not from experience) that the 3l goes through coil packs quite regularly. There are a number of forums that have m35 threads so use the discussions feature in google and get as informed as you can.
Certainly I would pick it over the commodore and especially in the later model stuff every model seems to have some issue or another. Its a bit of a fluke if you get a goodie or a bad one. Good luck, would like to hear how you get on if you go that way.

phillip.weston, Jan 17, 5:41am
most have horrible brown interiors, engines tend to pink, not overly economical, have been some instances of timing chains stretching. Otherwise not a bad wagon and their Volvo-esque styling sets it apart from the other bland Jappas of the era.

vtecintegra, Jan 17, 5:45am
Are you thinking of the C34 or M35!

The M35 should be very economical for its size/performance - its essentially a Skyline+ 80 or so kg

phillip.weston, Jan 17, 5:49am
The earlier shape wouldn't have a timing chain. I'm talking about the V35. A friend has a 3L one, not that flash on fuel, a Commodore or Falcon wagon would do better.

morrisman1, Jan 17, 5:49am
agreed, on the open road where you get the best economy thats about 765km (90km/h average) on 40L gas, less if running on 95.

vtecintegra, Jan 17, 6:04am
I'll bet that isn't running at all right, should do significantly better

electromic, Jan 17, 10:57am
I'm replacing headunit in a m35 Stagea tomorrow its a standard din size. Model is 250 rs. Ran out and checked the trip computer re fuel economy. was last reset 1475kms ago. avg speed 42.3km/h.9.9 km/litre. The owner has been driving this for 30 000 km and problems to date are
:head unit (disc wont eject)
:Pinking/pinging ( changed to 98 octane fuel)
:overfueling at 2000 rpm @ low throttle and above 4000 rpm @ full throttle (stumped Nissan since its code scan was clear. Replaced maf sensor to solve above problem, made car more economical in general but can still see some black smoke.
Other than that just normal service items eg. fluids/filters/plugs
Engine is cam chain.
Really nice car to drive, drives like a euro, much more refined than my 32 skyline and heaps of torque down low.
OP: if you buy one check for pinking/pinging and overfueling.

electromic, Jan 18, 6:08am
I commented on that thread too how stupid i didn't realise this one was bumped or that it was same op. Must have been sleep typing! Sorry I didn't advise you sooner, I've seen at least 6 with same problem. Next step is intake for the above car. Have not heard of the 3.0 or 3.5 models having same problem. How much were the knock sensors!

vtecintegra, Jan 18, 6:13am
The 3l is also a direct injection motor and can get the same thing happening.

The 3.5 isn't direct injection so should suffer from the same, but on the flip side will be a bit less economical.

gregr3, Jan 18, 6:40am
Don't know about the cost sorry, taken care of under warrantee. Yeah, certainly agree about the intake and it was cleaned out at the same time and the knock sensors. Will see how it goes over the next couple of days.

electromic, Jan 18, 6:53am
Thanks I might check out the 3.5 for myself it will be geat for my work vehicle (lots of bootspace).

vtecintegra, Jan 18, 7:01am
I think the 3.5 only cam along quite late in the models lifespan - the earlier ones were all 2.5 or 3

gregr3, Nov 13, 6:38am
We're considering the purchase of a Nissan Stagea 250RS/RX. Any comments out there regarding the general reliability of these wagons! Any common problems that crop up (looking at around 80,000kms)! Anything to look out for when evaluating prospective vehicles!

Cheers, Greg

jsbike, Nov 13, 6:51am
ugly volvo styling with a good engine. cam belt will need doing at 100km, do the idlers and the water pump at the same time. 206kw neo engine are more powerfull than the non neo motors and use a little less gas, fairly bullet proof, coils can start to cause probs, best to remove the plasic cover over them to keep them a little cooler. Quite a heavy car.

peril787b1, Nov 13, 6:53am
Basically it's a skyline with a longer/higher boot. Pretty good really.

gregr3, Nov 13, 7:09am
Interesting comments, good stuff.

Aren't they chain driven! (i.e. no worries about cam belt replacement at the 100k mark)

jsbike, Nov 13, 8:22am
we may both be right, in 2001 one model ended and another started. The nc34 stageawas replaced by the m35 stagea. the nc34 has a belt driven neo rb engine, the m35 has a chain driven direct injection V6. The 2.5 V6 non turbo makes about 15hp more than the 2.5 non turboengine in the nc34 and uses a little less gas.

gregr3, Nov 13, 8:32am
Cool, that explains it. Pretty sure we're looking at the M35 version, has the 2500cc V6.

jsbike, Nov 13, 8:40am
yeah far nicer style there, esp the inside. The chain driven engines are good and strong too.

rovercitroen, Nov 13, 9:56pm
I have been looking at these too. I like the Volvoesque looks. Friend has one and loves it. The direct fuel injection MAY cause issues such as what has happened with Mitsi GDI system and Toyota D4 but I can't find anyone who knows of problems. Friends Stagea is 2.5 litre and he says power is excellent. I must drive one soon.

_peas, Nov 13, 10:59pm
If you are talking the M35 it was my understanding that they were not available in manual. I was looking at these a while back and never saw a manual.I reckon they are great looking cars if a big wagon is your thing.

vtecintegra, Nov 13, 11:02pm
The M35 isn't, the Laurel never went on to the modern FM platform with the M35 is on (they killed it instead)

OP I'd see if you can find a 3l version, fuel consumption should be barely different, its a fair bit more power and comes with a 5 speed auto.