Rear shocks for an M35 Nissan Stagea

gregr3, Apr 16, 7:50am
Looking for some aftermarket replacements for the rear shocks on our Stagea (2001 M35 250RS, rear wheel drive). Only options found so far are:

1. Genuine nissan, however I'm not keen on re-mortgaging the house to pay for them!
2. KYB, however on closer inspection turns out that their recommended shock doesn't actually fit.

Anyone out there in the know about shocks (or Stageas), any other options that you know of!

Cheers, Greg

electromic, Apr 16, 11:00am
I was looking at options for the same model car when you posted about your car pinging (how is that by the way!). There is kyb listings for the shocks and your right they don't fit.There is a listing for bilsteins @ $300 a corner. Have you had the shocks tested or are they leaking!

gregr3, Nov 12, 5:13pm
The shocks aren't leaking, my concern was born from the observation that the back appeared to bounce up and down more than it should after bumps. I've had them tested at a couple of places. Pitstop had a machine that bounced the car up and down, which showed excessive travel (aka stuffed). Nissan also tested it during servicing (method unknown) and said they were fine. So yeah, a bit on the fence, although I know what I've observed and they certainly feel really really soft.

Thanks for the lead on Bilsteins, I'll follow up on that.

And back to the pinging, yeah, it rears it's head every now and again. We had the knock sensors replaced and in the process had the intake manifold cleaned out (feedback was that it was full of carbon and oil, as would be expected with these GDI engines). Going pretty good since then.

Last service at Nissan said there was nothing showing up on the diagnostics. From a bit of research my suspicion lies with the O2 sensors (engine appears to be running a tad rich, fuel economy is rubbish - even for a Stagea), however I've decided to just wait until they fail and post a fault code, rather than guessing and potentially wasting $$.