2003 Nissan Stagea M35 lacking power!

mcleanj1, Dec 5, 8:25am
Hi there, everyone, I have recently purchased a 2.5ltr V6 2003 M35 Stagea travelled 170K's. I have replaced the plugs (NGK Platinium) air filter, oil & Filter and have just put a bottle of STP injector cleaner in it, my question is at low rev's, say driving up the driveway it has no real torque or pull, but over 3000RPM it seems to haul arse. When you have it in neutral it idles really nicely and tap the accelerator it rev's well. Any suggestions greatly appreciated, I've been told the cam chain could be stretched, so when higher rev's the variable timing kicks in! I also see in other threads the direct injection could choke or coke up, simple explanations would be greatly appreciated, Cheers, Phillip.

timmo1, Dec 5, 9:50am
What grade fuel do you use in it!

wizid, Dec 5, 7:16pm
i have an 02 skyline 2.5ltr v6. it does the same thing .even withhigher octane fuel as well. i tend to use the tip tronic.when it happens .to bring the revs up.

vtecintegra, Dec 6, 12:45am
Here are some pics of a partly disassembled direct injection VQ V6 with nasty carbon buildup - http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/277914-any-direct-injected-300gt-250gt-v35s/page__view__findpost__p__5326503

I don't think there are any really effective methods of cleaning without opening it up and doing it directly

thetruedrbob, Dec 6, 4:15am
Is it on the snow timing setting!

mcleanj1, Dec 6, 8:44am
Thank you vtecintegra, that sounds exactly what the problem is, and hopefully not the cam chain, it will certainly narrow down the problem by eliminating possible problems. I need to join up to that forum group, I read all five pages and it was very interesting, so thanks again. Thanks for the other comments I generally use at least 95 octane and the car isn't in snow setting. Anymore comments would be well apprecaited. Cheers, Phillip.