Fastest you have ever been in a car

Page 6 / 8
hatchback, Nov 15, 1:58am
310ks in a bucket, sorry whqqsh, most of what I have read of yours previously has be credible but NO bucket will stay down at 310, it will become airborne, most cars get real lightweight at 160-200ks

richardmayes, Nov 15, 2:07am
463km/h in a supercharged VX Calais. (Would have been faster if I'd had my headers then.)

But then Bellky passed me in his rotary like I was standing still. Through the open window I could hear him say "too soon, junior".

bellky, Nov 15, 2:08am
^^ lolz

whqqsh, Nov 15, 2:41am
yup, she was light alright, to take a gentle sweeper on the 3 lane western just past waterview I started on the inside lane, cut across to just miss the median then back out to the outside again on the way out. It was hairy for sure. BTW I did have a passenger to verify & if you want to work out 6500 rpm (last time I looked but it went higher) x 1:1 top gear x 2.75:1 diff ratio x 295 60 15 tyres. & the guy in the godzillary thing reckoned he was reading 280 last time he looked but reckoned went a bit more too but wasnt keen on looking away from the road too (we stopped at Lincoln Rd washworld to chat)

bellky, Nov 15, 2:56am
farout - legs would've been shaking a bit i bet

whqqsh, Nov 15, 3:10am
mate wouldnt go in the bucket much after that. Problem was it became a thing to do, not THAT fast again, but often off the 225 k (140 mph) speedo (& easily too) & had a few near misses. thats why when I pulled it apart I bought a 3.5 diff but then new owner reckoned it would pull the front wheels after that

hi-ling, Nov 15, 3:17am
Sorry Whqqsh But Ive owned some very fast T buckets and roadsters, including a supercharged 502 BBC and none of them would stay on the road at anything over around 230kms, just way to dangerous.And believe me if youve ever travelled at over 300 kms youd know about it.
Ive got a timeslip here for the lawrence flying mile and acheivd 325kms on a modified 2000 Hayabusa. brilliant feeling but by f*** was it scary. 320 kms means your travelling at around 300 feet per second

gunhand, Nov 15, 5:26am
OH, well now your just being ridiculous saying you have done 325kph on a Busa.You would have been doing 324.567 or 325.234kph or something like that, (unless they round up or down) but to say you were doing 325.000 is just a stupid statement LOL.

plasticboys, Nov 15, 5:32am
looks like l have have gone faster on my motorbike than all of you

whqqsh, Nov 15, 7:06am
I was waiting for the "if I havent done it then you cant have" brigade (worked with a guy who didnt believe it because his V8 Charger couldnt do it lol). Ive got 3 things backing up my claim, another fast car clocking similar, a passenger who had owned many serious fast cars including blown V8s saying he'd never been anywhere near that fast & was crapping himself & simple maths all have the same result.
Buckets are one of the simplest yet most varied cars out there & Ive been in some shockers, one I drove 500 metres up the road turned around & went back recommending one one ever ride in it again, the once proud owner wasnt happy & when sold some time later the new owner spent thousands fitting a complete front end that actually 'steered'. Mine was solid as a rock & was one of the most stable cars Ive driven full stop!

frytime, Nov 15, 7:38am
i got a 82 honda city turbo to 170k on the speedo at about 3am, only had a stuck waste gate so had 14psi. crap that scary in a comptley standard car. 1200cc of raw power

tgray, Nov 15, 7:46am
20 years ago, I was a passenger in a new Commodore and was driven from central Hamilton to Te Atatu South West Auckland in exactly 1 hour. It was an experience I will never forget.

rayzor14, Nov 15, 8:14am
I have no idea on the fastest but I know I did some bloody quick trips from Wellington to Taupo back in the late 80s and early 90s when it was still possible to cover a lot of ground in a short space of time in the dead of night. Circa 3hrs from J'Ville to Taupo!

ct9a, Nov 15, 10:02am
Pretty sad reading this thread ,my god it must suck having toys in the city!
Glad im born and raised in the waikato now ! 200kph is college boy stuff

magicmat, Nov 15, 10:27am
Not the fastest I have been but I was impressed all the same;

I had a Honda Integra that was work hack and I was doing a job on O'Reagan road in Hamilton (boy racers will know it) and this little 1600cc car had a speedo that went up to 190kph. this road is a dream straight and I had this little car well off the clock and I can only assume that if it wasnt 200 it was damn close.
My LS1 will do over that, but surprisingly not as fast as I thought it would be. It seems happy in the 140 to 180kph range. not that I would do that as its illegal.

I do find some of the claims in this thread a bit. funny.

mellisa2000, Nov 15, 10:39am
4+1/2hr Palmy to Thames.
4+1/4hr, Dargaville to Edgecumbe, Mrs not happy.Had to phone her when I got there so she knew I was safe.-ish
Fish.

clanky, Nov 15, 11:30am
225 kph (140 mph) in a Saab 9000 turbo, bog standard, on M40 between Warwick and Oxford turn off. 3.30 in the morning in the 'slow' lane.

the_don_61, Nov 15, 11:36am
Nissan V8 still goes off the clock with a R32 GTR on the trailer behind.

and the jappa V8 is stock.

Does that count!.

southcoastc, Nov 15, 7:15pm
What never seems to amaze me is how big car manufacturers can spend hundreds of millions of dollars developing a car, wind tunnel testing, suspension, downforce,, brakeing, 1000hp power motors, to acheive 200mph status, yet us old backyard kiwis can do it with a shitty old car, aerodynamics of a outside dunny, and handling of a pedal car. Shit us kiwis are good, good at something, bullshitting.A t bucket running over 310kms would just about be a world class record holder.

rsr72, Nov 16, 2:15am
Yep, the late 80's became the final end of those glorious decades on NZ roads,forever.

lookoutas, Nov 16, 4:45am
In NZV8 about last July/August - the story about Murray Dowman from Wanganui cranking a 427 Chev powered XY Coon out to 209 MPH in a clocked run.
When he went to drive off again, the tyres had ballooned out and were rubbing on the inner guards.
Great reading.

scotty20001, Nov 16, 4:57am
WOW! amazing considering all you have owned is a heap of shit 1.3L Ford Laser but i suppose that will go 500kmh will it!

trogedon, Nov 16, 5:39am
lookoutas wrote:
In NZV8 about last July/August - the story about Murray Dowman from Wanganui cranking a 427 Chev powered XY Coon out to 209 MPH in a clocked run.
When he went to drive off again, the tyres had ballooned out and were rubbing on the inner guards.

His Gonads had probably "ballooned" too!

hotrodtodd1, Nov 16, 5:56am
132mph (213kmh) in a t bucket on a straight bit of aphsalt just south of Mercer. And I have documented paperwork to back up my claim.

And just to show off, I did it from a standing start.

wrong2, Nov 16, 7:01am
when i started driving - 1990 - there were "quite' days in the middle of the week still