Collectable cars that will drop in value

Page 3 / 4
saki, Nov 13, 12:51am
Us oldies showed patiance waiting to buy "our right" classic and I am sure we will when it comes time to sell them.

quickstitch, Nov 13, 1:08am
the xy gt / gtho is the only car never to have depreciated. 1 year after they were sold new they were selling for more than the new price

kazbanz, Nov 13, 2:28am
I agree with you 100%--but the guys that got in quick did make money

mustangsally2, Nov 13, 5:51am
Mustangs are Mustangs. special. what more can I say.

scotty20001, Nov 13, 9:31am
i really think the Mitsubishi GTO twin turbo manual will eventually become a classic, as they were so far ahead of their time.

1ollie, Nov 13, 12:04pm
Hahaha good joke guy!

1ollie, Nov 13, 12:07pm
Your whole view is just 'your' asumption and nothing elce lol

esprit, Nov 13, 8:00pm
A pity they were universally rubbish.

The Nissan Skyline GTRs will appreciate for sure. They've bottomed out now, are collectible in good condition and are still being bent around trees and lamp posts in large numbers so they're getting rarer by the day. They also rust quite badly so ones kept in good condition will continue to appreciate.

1ollie, Nov 13, 10:35pm
I agree about the GTO I cant see it ever being worth a hell of a lot.
You are bang on about the GTR's, with the loop hole of being able to import the 89/90 models into NZ that has flooded the market a bit and the recession has also affected the price just like other cars. The original PGC10, KPGC10 and KPGC110 GTR's had been fatching prices up around the $150000 mark for unmolested examples untill recently but thats droped back to around the $100000 mark now.

vtecintegra, Nov 13, 10:38pm
Yeah there have been some horror shows pop up on here after they've failed compliance.

I'd add early original condition Lancer Evos too, especially the 1 and 3

elect70, Nov 14, 1:42am
American muscle will probably hold up as moreget taken off US roads or crushedas dont meettheir emission standards . This isthe manufacturerstooltoget everyone intonewecono shit boxes . Eventuallywind up in museams.

saki, Nov 14, 3:56am
FOMOCO is building and selling brand new 66-69 muzzy body shells better quality steel and the latest welding tecniques.
Comaro body shells new are available in Aussie

bellky, Nov 14, 4:02am
so! they havn't got 40+ years of patina/history/atmosphere/oldc-
arsmell have they

rsr72, Nov 14, 4:38am
Was easily cured with an added spoiler lip under the front.

fordcrzy, Nov 14, 6:46am
its all the old british stuff that will end up scrap metal.

lets face it the cars that sell are sports cars that get the adrenalin going.crappy old morris oxfords and vivas are just crap.
the american muscle cars will always be worth something.

cars like GTR's and even supras will go up in value.legacys will not and mitsi GTO's will not either.GTO's are cars for 50 year old try hards who dont want thier tupee' to blow off in the wind.

hotrodtodd1, Nov 14, 11:53pm
The US/Oz muscle car is most at risk.And the big dollar swoopy hot rods (usually fibrerglass)Mainly because they have been bought predominantly by the Baby Boomer generation, often on the back of rising property values (just add it to the mortgage).

The elite stuff - E49s/GTHOs /Hemi Cudas/L88s/Shelbys will always hold value as they are bought by people for investment over passion.

esprit, Nov 15, 1:02am
Not necessarily. I think you'll find that a lot of the '60s and '70s British metal is currently finding new favour with young people as they've become rarer and are now considered retro-cool. Even things like Austin Princesses are becoming sought after in good nick because they're different and young people like to stand out from the crowd.

American Muscle will always be semi-popular here, but the "muscle car" is also a reserve of the baby-boomer. In says gone by, you could have a powerful muscle car that didn't handle, or a sports car with less power that handled (or an unreliable exotic). Modern kids who want performance haven't grown up in a world where that compromise is necessary and so the muscle car concept is less relevant to them.

It's the same with bikes. Harley Davidson's average owner is rapidly ageing. people looking for classic/retro bikes these days seem more drawn to the old Japanese power-bikes of the '70s and '80s.

marte, Nov 15, 1:37am

gooddealz2, Nov 15, 2:44am
marte - 1st and last are good.I'm not so bothered about the one in the middle even though it may have made a good investment.I think all collector type cars should be bought for love NOT investment.It's like people who collect art.Do they even like it or is it viewed solely as an investment.I have a couple od pieces which are on the wall and seen every day but I know of others where the art is in a basement or cupboard etc.What's the point!Buy a car you love and it'll never seem like a bad investment no matter what other pople think.

saki, Nov 15, 4:11am
So what I made a statement somebody may wont to build a race car easier to start with a clean rust free shell or maybe they wont a new/old car

bmwnz, Nov 15, 9:41am
In 1972 I bought a brand new Valiant Charger. I recently drove one again. It was simply dreadful to drive, yet 39 years ago it was stunning. Times change, cars have moved on quite a bit and we 'normal' drivers, that it seems so many of you despise, no longer want to put up with the problems that abound in old cars. I think that 'classic' car owners are a breed apart and good on them. Its great to have a hobby that brings you pleasure. However, I've owned many of the 'classics' and have no desire to take that giant step backwards in technology. They are not for everyone and not everyone sees them as anything special, just outdated.

woody1946, Nov 16, 3:20am
Who would have guessed that the 1982 Toyota Corolla I could not give away 5 years ago would be so popular with the boy-racers today

the_don_61, Nov 16, 9:19pm
Havn't a lot of Morris Garage owners (MG) gone jappa now.

mg midget = datsun 1200

sifty, Nov 16, 10:41pm
yeah my old mum used one as a shopping trolley for years and now they are sought after.!

picking the trends and having a big shed could make you some coin.

steelman3, Nov 16, 11:43pm
who knows they all burn petrol, why not buy what you like regardless of the current trends, be a leader not a follower instead of trying to jump on the latest bandwagon,