Castrol engine oil

hollyshaw, Nov 19, 8:17am
Hello
Just wondering if many people use the Castrol Edge 10w-60 and what there opinion of it is!
Can i expect to get better oil pressure when the car is hot with using this oil over using the Castrol Magnatec 10w-40!
Thanks

franc123, Nov 19, 8:19am
Quite possibly yes, although it will be hardly measurable unless you have a gauge hooked up to it.Is there more to this story, why do you think that there are oil pressure problems!

hollyshaw, Nov 19, 8:23am
yea, i have a oil pressure/temp gauges set up. Oil pressure drops down to 10 on my gauge (at idle)when the temp is hot and in my opinion I believe its bit low! I do drags at meremere in my street car. Just trying to work out how to get lower temps and better pressure. thanks

franc123, Nov 19, 8:27am
And the engine is!

hollyshaw, Nov 19, 8:29am
oh sorry. 97 mitzi lancer gsr cm5a 4g93 turbo. standard motor

franc123, Nov 19, 8:36am
Not uncommon to get low oil pressure at hot idle, especially when its getting up in the kms and the bearing clearances aren't quite what they used to be, and with using oils with viscosities that low.Sometimes even the type of oil filter you are using can be a factor, likewise if the oil pickup in the sump is a bit clogged.If its in good condition and you are using good quality oil and filters and the pressure is normal at speed maybe an external oil cooler could be the answer.

hollyshaw, Nov 19, 8:46am
thanks. i usually use the orange fram oil filters on it. car has done 93k. yea maybe external oil cooler would help. thanks

franc123, Nov 19, 8:48am
Arghh theres your problem right there, I have experienced that myself with Frams, get rid of it and try something else, anything else, and see what happens!Oh and its an external oil COOLER, not another filter!

hollyshaw, Nov 19, 8:55am
lol whoops, long day :) (edited). thanks will try different oil filter first.

rovercitroen, Nov 20, 1:27pm
Yip it's that Fram filter. Have had the same myself with a new Fram filter. Changed to a genuine Mazda filter and gained 1 bar at idle speed and 1.2 bar at cruise. (Mazda MX5 by the way)

drew2009, Nov 20, 5:45pm
Probably your filter but Castrol Edge or Penrite Sin is still good oil though. Penrite do a 5w-60 and a 10w-70 syn.

jrlaw, Nov 20, 8:19pm
Is not Castrol Oil a product from B,P. now!

beart0y, Mar 24, 6:11am
http://www.nzjetboating.com/yabbse/index.php!topic=12165.0
Look at this and it will give you some info on oils etc.