Cheap compressor problem, any ideas.!

Page 2 / 2
richard198, Nov 23, 6:50am
If the plate kept on breaking every time I used it, yes it would matter.
You get what you pay for, which is why those machines keep on breaking.
And yet you keep going back for more punishment!

skin1235, Nov 23, 6:55am
lol, but they don't keep breaking, and you'd be surprised how often I've had to fix the so called 'better quality' compressors
what actually costs more is the parts - when you can find them

sifty, Nov 23, 7:04am
cheers skin (post #25). Another place to look. Appreciate the info, and great description.

and yes I normally buy good tools (trade background) but as I've stated, I rarely use a compressor so couldn't justify > $1000 for something a bit flasher. I am disappointed it has stopped working correctly, but I suspect there is something I can do about it, and am actually quite enjoying pulling it apart and seeing just how simple they are.

richard198, Nov 23, 7:08am
Aha! Sounds like some "Classic" British bikers that I know!

skin1235, Nov 23, 7:11am
I've done just that too before, pulled then down, found nothing fo concern, put them back together and still had the fault

you've done the head, reeds, and gasket thing to no avail

check the release mechanism now - from memory you can actually get your finger to the outlet hole - it's less than a 6mm drilling in the bottom edge of the block under the pressure switch
once the motor has revs up there should be no air coming out of there - if there is it is often just a bit of swarf stopping the valve from fully closing, simple to clean, fiddly to get at though, easier to disconnect the whole switching unit from the pipework and open it on the bench - just note carefully which wire goes where - camera's are good for that

sifty, Nov 23, 7:12am
Have them too.

sifty, Nov 23, 7:14am
And skin, you may be onto something, haven't heard that 'pwiish' for some time. I have splashed soapy water round most areas but not under there.

skin1235, Nov 23, 7:15am
+1

who doesn't wants a bike that needs 10 hrs per weekend just to keep it running for next week - ruins the whole experience of having a good old solid reliable brit thumper doesn't it - plus you get to spend quality time away from wife and kids with something you 'enjoy'

skin1235, Nov 23, 7:17am
it will only leak while the engine is running, once it is switched off that part of the system is isolated from pressured air by the non return valve

sifty, Nov 25, 4:02am
ok, supposed to be at the Burt beach racing, but as there are what feel like 300km/h winds I had the opportunity to look again.

And, I found broken gasket between inlet/outlet chambers above top plate against the head (just as easygoer suggested post #21). Will have a go at making one and see how that goes.

sifty, Nov 25, 7:48am
UPDATE:

Great success. 10 mins with a scalpel and hole punch set on a bit of thick gasket paper, a swipe of gasket cement and reassembly, and now pumps up to ~120psi and no leaks, just like a bought one.

Cheers to all who offered suggestions, learnt a bit and saved some coin, and these cheapies are definitely repairable.

aredwood, Nov 25, 10:56am
If you know the value of the old capacitor (there should be a number then uF on it) then just buy one from Jaycar Electronics. They sell motor start capacitors. I have fixed a water pump and the exhaust fan in a gas fired pool heater with their capacitors.

skin1235, Nov 25, 6:59pm
are those 'caps'polarised, - they only work when hooked up with the correct polarity!, or can they be wired in reverse and still work!

ralphdog1, Nov 25, 8:23pm
Motor start are not normally polarised.

studio1, Nov 26, 1:22am
They're not start caps - very few motors have start caps on them, they're run caps - and no, not polarised - connect either way around and you'll be fine.
Just be sure they're not made in china like the compressor in this thread is. Have seen a number of chinese made capacitors sh*t themselves due to poor manufacture and incorrect rating.
They might be marked as 400 volt on the can, but the truth of the matter is more like 200 volts.

sifty, Nov 21, 6:40am
yep, just got catalogue from supercheap in the mail, new one available for $129 with tool assortment. Think that's what I'll do.

checked non return valve incidentally, seemed sound, a simple soft compound washer held with a spring, no crap in there so may have one more crack at it then use it for parts. I'll update if I have any joy in the weekend.