Air Compressor Accesory help

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 24, 12:18am
Have a big Air compressor i bought off my boss for a box of beers. And also have a hose (no idea what diamater havent bothered to look). Whats a good connector set up to have to connect these! Do I have male or female coming off the compressor! Would it be smart to get a male female set and connect them up, have a female quick plug on the other end of my hose, and then male plugs on my equipment! I only have an inflator and blow gun so far.

I need to get this stuff ready, so I can get it sorted, and go out and buy a paint gun etc and learn how to use it all. Ive just bought my racecar and will need to paint spare panels to matching colour so obviously this is the best way to go. And might look at spraying the interior too over the winter months.

Please no-one say oh your an amateur never held a paint gun you wont get a good finish. Everyone has to learn at some stage. And im ready to learn, with panels to learn on.

tmenz, Mar 24, 12:28am
What you need on the end of the hose will probably be dictated by what's already on the accessories you're about to buy! Have a look first and choose accordingly. Having male/female pairs is a good idea because you can have a couple of different length hoses that you can mix and match to suit the occasion. Usually the fixed connector on the compressor is a female quick release. It's a good idea to have an on/off tap on the compressor outlet to decompress the hose before rolling and storing.

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 24, 12:34am
Obviously it will be a good idea to have a quick coupler on the end of the hose that will connect to the accessories! Might go have a look. Cant be bothered checking the compressor right now to see what connector is on it. Does it matter if quick coupling is on compressor or hose! Id imagine it wont matter.

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 24, 12:42am
Ok checked my accessories and they both have male plugs. Checked my hose and its got 'snap-on' covers. Dont know if its a snap on hose, or just the covers are snap on. anyway, the hose has some sort of threaded piece!

mk3zephyr, Mar 24, 1:11am
usually on the compressor outlet you have a female coupler and on your tools a male coupler, bear in mind that a lot of air tools you get from supercheap and the like have a Nitto type coupler but most compressors/tools etc over the years in NZ are Aro type.
Woops didnt look at your photo before posting, the male coupler on your blow gun is a male nitto type, supersheep sell the 1/4" female/male nitto couplers

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 24, 1:30am
So can i get a female nitto quick coupler that will screw onto my hose and then connect to all male nitto couplings like my blow gun etc!

mk3zephyr, Mar 24, 1:34am
yip

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 24, 1:53am

gunhand, Mar 24, 4:56am
There are a few types of connections out there but none of it is hard to find or fit. As said above most use female end on compressor and males on the air tools you wish to use. If thats a hard plastic type hose you will learn to hate it pretty quick.
The nitto couplers are bigger in the hole for more air flow. Just make sure all of your tools are compatable and buy quaility couplers. You will again learn to hate cheap shit that wont close when disconnect the air tool.
Good on you for having a go at painting. Its a bit of an art but if you have a good steady hand a good rythem youll be sweet.
Pratice on unseen panels first.

matthew_129, Aug 21, 3:02am
Female couplers also act as stop valves when they are disconnected. So female coupleron the compressor so when you disconnect the hose from it, it wont drain. Then male coupler on the compressor end of the hose and female on the other and then male's on your tools. You should be able to find couplers that screw onto the end of your hose that you currently have. Also as mentioned above, get yourself a flexi hose