HKS engine oil

rayzor14, Nov 24, 1:47am
Actually yes, it works well in both my cars (xr6 turbo and 300zx) although I paid about twice that price.

kwkbrk, Nov 24, 1:50am
Extremely reputable seller .

trdbzr, Nov 24, 3:27am
Its a pretty good oil, HKS dont make it themselves though. Its just rebadged as HKS.

moosie_21, Nov 24, 5:34am
The amount of fake HKS, Greddy, etc. products on the market is unbelievable. Somehow, looking at other HKS products, I don't think they would ever resort to such tacky marketing. And 10W-35 oil! Who's ever heard of that before! I'd just go buy some Magnatec. As above poster said, it's probably just re-branded.

ninja_man, Nov 24, 5:55am
i want fully synthetic :)

frogs61, Nov 24, 7:49am
its not genuine hks

drew2009, Nov 24, 11:30pm
How many km does your integra type r have on it! What were you using before viscosity wise! What mods does it have!

trdbzr, Nov 24, 11:59pm
Redline is the NZ distributor of HKS i think, so their products are legit but I think Mobil 1 will be a much better oil, but its alot more expensive.

drew2009, Nov 25, 1:25am
Penrite Sin is bloody good to

ninja_man, Nov 25, 5:14am
160km only mods are extractors and intake. I was using castrol magnatec 10w40 before, but want to change to synthetic

drew2009, Nov 25, 8:16am
10w-60 Castrol Edge would be good.
Or 5w-60 Penrite Sin if your worried about cold starts ect.
Or 5w-40 Valvoline Synthetic if you want something thinner.

Those are my picks anyway. I would be extremely wary of cheap hks oil, at that viscosity rating it is hardly worth it anyway, probably no noticeable difference to using normal mineral.

ninja_man, Nov 25, 8:19am
so a higher viscosity around 50 is fine to use! thanks for your help

drew2009, Nov 25, 8:21am
I don't really buy the whole "extended oil change intervals" spin with synthetic oil either i change it just as often.

drew2009, Nov 25, 8:25am
An oil with a higher hot (summer) viscosity rating is preferable, as it won't thin out as much and will stick to engine parts better when its really hot.

What you want to really watch is the cold (winter W) viscosity rating as if that is to high it will really give you problems (like when you buy cheap 20w-50 oil and your car runs like a bag of a**holes).

I have used 10w-70 syn in an old honda 5cylinder i had and it actually really liked it, so can't see it giving you any trouble.

drew2009, Nov 25, 8:26am
If it burns a little oil and/or you don't want to spend to much i have found the nulon semi syn fast flowing oils and penrite plus 10 semi syn to be good as well.

ninja_man, Nov 25, 8:31am
thanks, i may be doing a trackday soon at hampton so may just go with fully synthetic to be on the safe side. So il run a higher viscosity in summer and lower in winter.

drew2009, Nov 25, 9:20am
Synthetic 5w-60 or 10w-60 should be fine all year around in your climate.
However I do know some people down here who run different grades in different seasons.

Sorry what i meant was, the "w" part of the oil viscosity rating that comes first is the "winter or cold rating"
And the second part for example 30 40 50 60 part of the rating is the
"summer or hot rating"
5w-60 for example is 5 winter rating 60 summer rating.

The summer rating being higher is not so much of a big deal, as long as the winter rating is low enough like with synthetic oils that have a very wide viscosity range.
20w-50 or 25w-60 would be bad for your engine indeed, however 5w-60 or 10w-60 would be good for all around performance.
Hope this helps.

ninja_man, Nov 25, 9:32am
awesome mate, thanks for your help.

drew2009, Nov 25, 9:39am
no probs good luck at your track day.

slideways3dem, Nov 26, 11:21am
HKS oil very good and reliable the D1NZ boys use this oil and half the time there cars are sitting on the limiter. But 4 everyday driving i find magnatic very good. And yes that is genuine hks oil i was at the d1nz 2day and they had this stuff laying around everywhere in the pits in the ezact same can and wot not.

ninja_man, Nov 26, 8:53pm
yeah i saw the hks stand there. Great day of drifting by the way, except for the injured spectator.

wrong2, Nov 26, 9:35pm
dont need 60 weight in NZ