Fiat Stilo Abarth!

Page 1 / 2
gsimpson, Mar 29, 11:56pm
Jazz. I have bought a Stilo Abarth and have always done my own maintenance. Any suggestions for where I can look for a cheap cable and software for laptop!

mugenb20b, Mar 30, 7:14am
It's been 4 months mate. Start a new thread, much easier.

fordcrzy, Mar 30, 7:39am
my god

two 13+ paragraph posts.

seriously Jazz. keep them short for all our sakes.

gsimpson, Mar 30, 8:31am
Probably but the cable etc had been mentioned in post above so what's the difference!

mugenb20b, Nov 24, 8:18am
I'd be keen to know too. They look like good value for money.

rovercitroen, Nov 24, 8:23am
Jazzpianoma knows about these. His parents had one they were trying to sell a few months ago but probably sold now. Most seem to have the Selespeed gearbox but a dealer in Auckland recently sold an NZ new manual one.

richard198, Nov 24, 8:34am
Excellent styling!

unclejake, Nov 24, 8:39am
The worry with those things seems to be the automatic transmissions. Evidently they aren't as robust as they could be

thejazzpianoma, Nov 24, 10:14am
Hello,
Yip I know them well! They are a huge amount of fun car for the money, but they do have some drawbacks.
The Engine is fantastic, not super economical but sounds great, pretty much bomb proof and performs well. The only catch with the engine is being a 5 Cylender its wide and there is not a lot of room for a timing belt change, I think that motor is easier to do a timing belt on in the Stilo than my Marea (where its a mission) but I can't tell you first hand as I am yet to do one.

The Stilo looks great, its galvanised so no rust, the electronics are very good (even the voice activated stuff works well), its well featured, it handles well.

Unfortunately though I find the Stilo is not as bullet proof reliable as its little brother the Punto. Usually its nothing major but be prepared to get google out to find out how to change the odd seat sensor etc. Nothing is usually particually hard or expensive to fix so long as you do your research and use common sense. Almost every one I have ridden in needs some rear suspension attention as you can hear thumping as you go over bumps.

Another drawback is it can be quite road noisy, you can work around this with very carefull choice of tyres but it will always be a bit of a compromise as a day to day vehicle in terms of noise and firm ride. Some will like this but we are now in an age where most expect even exotic cars to have very good manners.

The infamous selespeed box!
Firstly, facelift models (after some point in 2002 from memory) actually have a regular manual so this is always an option although those later ones are a bit dearer normally. The selespeed does get a harder time than it deserves in my opinion. Its basically just a Manual gearbox (FIat Tipo I believe!) with an electronic control unit and actuators that work the clutch and gear change. You get paddles on the steering wheel and the same ability on the stick. It has a fully auto mode but this is no where near as refined as a DSG. It does the job though.
In terms of reliability, most problems come through lack of maintenance. The clutch and actuators should be adjusted annually which is done with the aid of a laptop and software. It can actually be done at home easily enough. If you do have a failure its not normally end of the world and with a bit of research you can usually fix it yourself with reasonable cost. Likewise taking it somewhere for repair may be cheaper than you expect. Remember we are talking actuator failure etc often parts are external even so not always expensive.

The biggest problem with the Selespeed is as it only has one clutch it dosn't change super fast. It does actually change as quick as a normal person would a manual (and even quicker over 4000rpm) BUT because we are used to automatic transmissions it seems like an age.

That said, its usable, its fun and its not the end of the world by any means. Remember these cars came out over 10 years ago.

The last drawback I can think of is while the interior does look supurb and has aged very very well, the quality of construction is not the best. Unless the car has been babied you are going to see some wear points on the plastics etc. Luckily many have been enthusiast owned and really are still mint, however be prepared to be gentle and look after it to keep it that way.

Hopefully that answers some questions!

So yes if you are looking after a hot hatch thats properly fun for very little money and don't mind getting a little bit involved in its upkeep. Great car, and great value!

If you want something that is every bit as refined and reliable as the next car but still gets out and boogies when required. Get a Golf GTI.

That said. there is a price to be paid for refinement. A MK4 Golf GTI won't give you the sense of occasion that the Abarth will. not even close!

thejazzpianoma, Nov 24, 10:24am
Just remembered something funny, with the throttle blip on the down change. This comes in and becomes more pronounced the more aggressive the down shift.So yes you can still drive it around without causing a fuss if you want.
I always found it hilarious though as my mother (who really liked driving theirs) who is a firm believer in engine breaking would downshift to first as she entered a carpark in Katikati. Because its a busy main road with angle parks this would be a fast maneuver.
The result was a fierce italian growl as it pulled in and half the street turning around to see a little grey haired lady get out with her bag of library books. Priceless!

thejazzpianoma, Nov 24, 10:34am
I wouldn't recommend one for you mugenb20b, I think you would be better to go with a Punto Abarth, or one of the 2000 or newer VW/Audi vehicles. The Stilo Abarth is something that is likely to piss you off and put you off Euro's even more.

Not because its fundamentally unreliable its just I know you are going to want to get your hands dirty with it and its not a vehicle that suits a mechanic that works on other peoples cars all day and just wants to "get the job done" on their own vehicle.

Great vehicle for someone who is happy to get a bit enthusiastic about it and is happy to put a little time in to keep it ship shape. and most importantly isn't going to do a job on it and get annoyed because the same job is 20 times easier on a Toyota.

Hope you are not offended by that mugenb20b I just think it would be a shame to see you put off some great cars because the first one you pick unusually does actually live up to a couple of the stereotypes.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 24, 10:40am
Poster 1 and mugenb20b,
If you want something similar to consider that will be a bit more straight foward. Go for an Alfa 147 with the Manual transmission.
I havn't had the 147 but know the 156 well which shares the same drive train.

I would expect that the 147 is going to give you almost as much fun without most of the drawbacks. The interior is more hardy, the transmission is normal, there should be less niggly problems etc etc.

The 2.0 Twinspark is a honey of an engine. Yes it does require 3 yearly timing belt changes but with the proper tools this is not a big deal. Likewise even paying someone to do it is not necessarily end of the world. Plus the frequent timing belt change is really all I can fault with those Alfa's other than that they are an excellent vehicle. Better on fuel too and almost sounds as good.

I have seen some go lately for much the same money. Personally I would happily have either the Abarth or the Alfa BUT I would be accepting the Abarth for what it is on its terms going in.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 24, 10:49am
If you have more questions feel free to hit me up. I will likely be away from the boards for over a week or so though from sometime tomorrow. Best of luck poster 1 and great work looking outside the square. There are some fantastic Euro cars in your price range, its just a matter of doing your research (as you are) and getting one that best suits your needs.

mugenb20b, Nov 25, 7:03am
Thanks Jazz, very helpful info, just looking for something interesting to drive, like a weekend car. Not worried about reliability, now that I know who to see if I need cheap parts ;)

But, the car has to be automatic, so the wife can drive it too. Been slowly looking at Citroens, Peugeots, Audi A3s, Fiats, and VW Golfs. French diesels (manuals) go bloody well. I'm also waiting for our clients to upgrade their cars, might get lucky and strike a good deal.

michael.benn, Nov 25, 8:23am
Hey jazz, what would your opinions be on this Stilo Abarth as a daily runner!

My sister and her fiancee are looking for a second car as he's just had to return his work one. Would this be any good!

mantagsi, Nov 25, 8:43am
great fun cars, but yeah, lot of horror stories kicking around regarding selespeeds, but I think that it is a lack of understanding, and kinda what Jazz says, a lack of maintenance.

michael.benn, Nov 25, 8:52am
I want paddle shifters in my Accord :D

Joking.

>>Not actually joking.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 25, 10:14am
Hello,
Yip I know them well! They are a huge amount of fun car for the money, but they do have some drawbacks.
The Engine is fantastic, not super economical but sounds great, pretty much bomb proof and performs well. The only catch with the engine is being a 5 Cylender its wide and there is not a lot of room for a timing belt change, I think that motor is easier to do a timing belt on in the Stilo than my Marea (where its a mission) but I can't tell you first hand as I am yet to do one.

The Stilo looks great, its galvanised so no rust, the electronics are very good (even the voice activated stuff works well), its well featured, it handles well.

Unfortunately though I find the Stilo is not as bullet proof reliable as its little brother the Punto. Usually its nothing major but be prepared to get google out to find out how to change the odd seat sensor etc. Nothing is usually particually hard or expensive to fix so long as you do your research and use common sense. Almost every one I have ridden in needs some rear suspension attention as you can hear thumping as you go over bumps.

Another drawback is it can be quite road noisy, you can work around this with very carefull choice of tyres but it will always be a bit of a compromise as a day to day vehicle in terms of noise and firm ride. Some will like this but we are now in an age where most expect even exotic cars to have very good manners.

The infamous selespeed box!
Firstly, facelift models (after some point in 2002 from memory) actually have a regular manual so this is always an option although those later ones are a bit dearer normally. The selespeed does get a harder time than it deserves in my opinion. Its basically just a Manual gearbox (FIat Tipo I believe!) with an electronic control unit and actuators that work the clutch and gear change. You get paddles on the steering wheel and the same ability on the stick. It has a fully auto mode but this is no where near as refined as a DSG. It does the job though.
In terms of reliability, most problems come through lack of maintenance. The clutch and actuators should be adjusted annually which is done with the aid of a laptop and software. It can actually be done at home easily enough. If you do have a failure its not normally end of the world and with a bit of research you can usually fix it yourself with reasonable cost. Likewise taking it somewhere for repair may be cheaper than you expect. Remember we are talking actuator failure etc often parts are external even so not always expensive.

The biggest problem with the Selespeed is as it only has one clutch it dosn't change super fast. It does actually change as quick as a normal person would a manual (and even quicker over 4000rpm) BUT because we are used to automatic transmissions it seems like an age.

That said, its usable, its fun and its not the end of the world by any means. Remember these cars came out over 10 years ago. One thing I particually like with that transmission is how it will automatically blip the throttle on a down change for you.

The last drawback I can think of is while the interior does look supurb and has aged very very well, the quality of construction is not the best. Unless the car has been babied you are going to see some wear points on the plastics etc. Luckily many have been enthusiast owned and really are still mint, however be prepared to be gentle and look after it to keep it that way.

Hopefully that answers some questions!

So yes if you are looking after a hot hatch thats properly fun for very little money and don't mind getting a little bit involved in its upkeep. Great car, and great value!

If you want something that is every bit as refined and reliable as the next car but still gets out and boogies when required. Get a Golf GTI.

That said. there is a price to be paid for refinement. A MK4 Golf GTI won't give you the sense of occasion that the Abarth will. not even close

kees4, Nov 25, 10:25am
got a 2002 abarth 96000klm black well looked after all servicing by the italian job garage contact me for a deal.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 27, 3:40am
Hi Michael and Mugenb,

With regards to the Stilo Abarth as a daily runner. I think the best thing to do is to take one for a drive. The reason being you may find the selespeed just drives you nuts in town. Personally I don't mind them around town, and find the rest of the car more than makes up for the bit of extra concentration/effort required for smooth operation. I know other people though that find them a nuisance around town and I can see where the are coming from.

I think the key thing to it all is to appreciate that the Selespeed is not in any way supposed to be a lazy persons automatic. Its supposed to be a performance transmission and its the first of its kind so its no DSG.

So, if someone is just after some well appointed, good value stylish transport then perhaps the Stilo Abarth is not for them. If however you are wanting a properly quick and fun hot hatch and are prepared to be a bit of an enthusiast then the Stilo Abarth could be just the thing.

It certainly can be an every day vehicle, the sort of niggles that come up with them are not km/use related as such. I would happily use one as an every day vehicle (as would MRS Jazz) BUT for me the vale and performance well and truely makes up for the slight shortcomings in drivability around town. If someone really didn't appreciate what you get in return for giving up some easy drivability I don't see the point in them having one.

I hope that makes sense!

BTW, Fiat parts in general are pretty cheap. Italian Auto Centre and Dino Enterprises have the genuine bits fora great price. REMEMBER the timing belt change might be expensive but other maintenance fairly cheap.

mugenb20b, I appreciate your position with regarding something more sporty now. I think its mostly a matter of budget. I am less worried now that you might have a bad first experience and be put off but am a little concerned that if your wife HAS to have automatic that she might not appreciate the selespeed.

Best thing to do there I think is to get her to give one a good drive through town. My mother for example gets on really well with Selespeed, but then my mother drives their very large manual campervan, and used to take my left hand drive MGB for extended drives to "give it a leg stretch" when she was storing it for me.

Its just one of those personal perception things thats really hard to gauge. you know how I prefer my facts and figures.

I can't help you much with ideas on the french cars as I don't know them like I do my Germans and Italians. Its also hard to know what to suggest without an idea of budget. If for example you had say $17'000 to spend I would be saying go and buy a MK5 GTI or A3 Turbo (same car different party dress) with the DSG, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Because that is truely a car that can be a no compromise dailiy driver even to the point of being very economical but will also happily give you as much of a thrill as you want.

If our budget was say $5000 and you didn't mind something a bit more thirsty I would be tempted to suggest a V6 Alfa 166 or 156, those are a HEAP of car for the money. Not really a sports car but a very entertaining drive and very practical and refined.

I hope that helps you guys a bit. I am not sure if I am going to get back to the boards much over the next week but will check up when I do. micahel.benn if you want to post your budget and requirements I might have some better ideas for you.

I am super excited that you guys are looking outside the square for something fun. I have had such pleasure out of this sort of stuff over the years and I get a real kick out of seeing others have as much fun, while still enjoying something affordable and practical.

My only concern is that you are starting with on of the more borderline vehicles in terms of reliability and that you might get put off if something goes wrong. To quote Jeremy Clarkson, I would buy one myself every time, but am a little hesitant to recommend one.

Have fun!

thejazzpianoma, Nov 27, 3:52am
Just to give you a heads up on my experience with paddle shifters in different cars. Initially they are great fun for funs sake but that novelty does wear off.

In the likes of the Stilo they can help make up for the slower transmission change as you can easily setup your passing manouver or performance corner line by being able to get it into the correct gear ahead of time without moving your hands off the wheel.

They are really only properly good though I find on the DSG transmission, not only is that transmission sublimely fast in operation the way the paddles are programmed to operate is excellent. With the car in auto mode on a DSG you can "take over" at any time by activating a paddle, however because you are still in auto mode it will seamlessly take control back automatically. That might sound contradictory, but in terms of practical use this means you can grab a gear at a moments notice without thinking for passing or and emergency or sporting maneuver. But once you have passed the car it just carry's on in auto mode

Its amazing just how much better the DSG is than the Selespeed. The Selespeed is fun but a compromise. The DSG is simply the best transmission in the world, better than an auto and better than a manual, better even than what you could buy in a $500'000 car when it came out. I know I say it a lot but I certainly don't say that lightly. Its certainly the first manual transmission I have seen that can beat an auto at its own game, even when you just consider it from an automatic operation point of view.

michael.benn, Nov 27, 4:03am
They're still trying to work out their budget at the moment.

Honestly though, the Stilo sounds like something that I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN, not them. Hehe :P

I really do like that styling on the 2 door version. Maybe I'll take one for a test drive later on in life. I think they want a traditional auto, they're not really into cars like I am. The selespeed transmission definitely sounds like something I'd love.

Let's say it was a $10,000 budget. Any sort of daily runner, automatic, european, REASONABLY new with not too many kms. What would you personally recommend! They want something a bit stylish and modern. I recommend a Golf GTI or something similar.

I appreciate the help by the way jazz, much appreciated :)

thejazzpianoma, Nov 27, 5:26am
Just one more thought. With regard to the Golf, if it was a manual vehicle they were looking for the Golf would come closer to having some fairer competition in the price range. The DSG transmission is far from being the cars only good point but when you have to have auto in that price range the DSG is what really sets the vehicle ahead of the others.

If fuel economy was not an issue of course some of the higher output vehicles in the price range will deliver equal performance and be close on features despite using a traditional auto. but I am assuming that being a daily runner fuel economy must factor.

the-lada-dude, Nov 27, 10:40pm
you just gotta get your own web site jazz.lol

holmespd, Dec 3, 1:42am
GEt a Golf GTI or "R"better still, a Jetta with the V5 engine, add Koni shocks, you will have a fantastic handling and powerful car, with plenty of parts and service agents available.Fiat are fantastic, but parts, and service can be a nightmare.