Jazzman or other fiat experts

jezz43, Jan 5, 9:23am
Hi

recently i bought a 1990 fiat tipo dgt. its a 1600cc sohc with a weber 32/34. apparently these models come with a 1600c fuel injected dohc aswell. id like to replace the engine with something that has a bit more pep to it. any reccomendations!

morrisman1, Jan 5, 9:25am
Can you not get up the bombays with 4 people in the boot whilst accelerating through warp factor 9!

jezz43, Jan 5, 9:27am
the current engine isnt overly slow. its perfectly fine, it carts me and a few hundred kgs of tools and car parts around just fine. i ust want something a bit quicker, i actually like the car so figured id do something to it

morrisman1, Jan 5, 9:29am
I'm just fishing for a bite from jazz

thejazzpianoma, Jan 5, 10:16am
1.6 single cam Tipo is no 1.2 Twin cam Punto morrisman. but it will still leave your archaic Minor's in the dust.

In answer to your question OP, firstly I would consider whether this is being done for practical reasons or fun. If its fun then go for gold if its practicality I think it would be cheaper to sell the Tipo and buy something better. (can make some suggestions if you like!)

There was a high output version of the Tipo called the Sedicivalvole. There are a few of these in NZ and they run a Lancia Thema 2.0 engine. They absolutely haul too.

You could follow along those lines and find an engine from a Thema, there is probably info on the net on how to go about it.

I have had a Tipo but am far from an expert in its setup. I think though you could also get these with the Fire 1.1 so I expect there would be a number of other less powerful engine upgrades that could be done easily enough. (obviously not a 1.1 but perhaps a twin cam Fire based motor).

Possibly the 1.8 twin cam as used in the Bravo, Brava, Marea and Punto Abarth might also be a shot. Even the 1.6 twin cam could possibly fit.

The 1.6 twin would be easy to source as we have had loads of them in NZ in the likes of the Stilo, Multipla, Bravo, Brava, Marea etc. Its very bombproof, economical and has a bit of poke. While no race engine,even when fitted to the Multipla (which has a huge frontal area) you have your foot well backed off at a 100MPH cruise, acceleration is good too so long as you stir it up through the gears. You will certainly notice a big difference between that and the single cam 1.6 you have now.

Probably the next stop I would recommend would be the fiat forum, those chaps and gals are super helpful and love these sorts of projects. You will probably find several conversions have already been done by their regulars.

Personally though. I would flick the Tipo and buy a Marea 2.0 which has the mighty 5 Cylinder engine from the Coupe in it. I bought a very tidy one with 120K on the clock for 1350 clams and will be using it as my daily shortly. More room for your gear, safer, more comfortable etc. (mine is the wagon, called the weekend)

You will however need to put some effort in at cambelt changing time as its a very very very tight squeeze and a good weekends work. Luckily it only comes around once every 5 years for most people.

Have fun!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 5, 10:26am
Wiki page here would suggest that the injected 1.6 is the same single cam engine. Its probably the 1.8 twin cam you are thinking of.

Not sure but this could possibly be a similar or the same motor as the Punto Abarth/Stilo/Bravo/Brava/Marea-
unit I was thinking of.

The Tipo is older though so not sure on that, but then Fiat are known for keeping old engines for decades and just updating the head/induction/injection etc

msigg, Jan 5, 9:11pm
Get rid of it , throwing good money after bad.

foxdonut, Jan 6, 5:48am
What you want is a Tipo F131.

Anything else is going to be a waste of time and money.

If you want a Sedicivalvole then go buy one that comes with a car, brakes, exhaust, mounts, cooling, transmission and no need for certification.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 6, 8:10am
You have a point there, they are good value when available. Trouble is only about one a year comes up for sale in NZ. The other issue is I suspect they may only come in 2 door versions which may not be as practical for poster one.

jezz43, Jan 7, 1:07am
someone reccomended a lancia engine from an integrale!but looking at the vehicles it comes in i would rip apart a 25k car for a motor to put in a 1k car.

is the F131 the ferrari dino motor!

id rather keep 4 cylinders. theres a few choices but i cant seem to find what i want. nothing thats easily accessible anyways.

intrade, Jan 7, 1:21am
tipo made a abart version . but basically your wasting your time it will cost you way to much to fit another engine and all.

jezz43, Jan 11, 11:53pm
so after a little bit of research, apparently the tempra is a sedan version of the tipo. guy i was chatting to earlier told me that the engine, box, axles and brakes etc bolt straight up. tempra is apparently a 1.8 twin cam and has alot more poke to it. hes offered me everything to do conversion for a grand. so question being is, how good are the tempra engines!

sw20, Jan 12, 4:53am
Just fit a 3.2 Alfa V6 from the GTA, then she will sing.

jezz43, Jan 12, 5:22am
thought of that, but not overly interested in messing around on it for ages just yet. maybe in the future

intrade, Jan 12, 5:25am
yea the tempra is the same as the tipo even the sedan .Tempra does come as station wagon or sedan and the hatchback is the Tipo.

jezz43, Jan 12, 5:27am
yep, same floorpans etc apparently. but are the motors decent! is it likely to sh1t itself or are they a good reliable engine!

intrade, Jan 12, 5:30am
tempra danger is it uses oil like hell from factory . cant recall what engine it was think it was 1.8 we had in europe. engine never crapped out but was also bit thirsty and not that much power for what fuel it used. got a job to do be back 30 minutes

intrade, Jan 12, 6:06am
can you test drive that tempra engine , personally i recon its a waste of time to fit another engine on to it

jezz43, Jan 12, 6:09am
no, its in a wrecked vehicle. im not doing up the car to make money on it, i like the car and just want to get a bit more pep out of it, the current engine is starting to tire out and has a few small issues

intrade, Jan 12, 6:12am
i cant fully recall but it was 16 valve engine 1.8 or 2.0 that the owner manual said it uses 1.0 liter oil for 1000km. but it was more like 1 liter for 500km lol i filled it up every week and no it dont smokes like mitsubishi .