Upgrading Turbo - Do you need a Cert

Page 2 / 2
mrfxit, Nov 24, 8:44pm
"common sense should be used when issuing a WoF"
Is of no concern to an insurance company when claiming for repairs or accident damage.

How sticky did you say it's getting!

gadgit3, Nov 24, 8:53pm
That would be the sticky bit as it would be up to the owner of the car to prove to the WoF inspector that the fitted turbo is not an upgrade.

gadgit3, Nov 24, 8:55pm
At the end of the day it's not my problem as a AVI I'm not the guy writing the rules I'm just the guy inforcing them. The problem lyes with the owner of the car.

thegravelracer, Nov 25, 12:52am
lol,and how the hell are they gonna know if you have a eprom ecu !

gadgit3, Nov 25, 1:14am
As far as how am I as an AVI going to tell if you have "chipped" an ECU which that statment really dosn't make sense and there is only a re-flashed (re mapped) ECU or piggy back ECU. your not going to get power from a bag of chips so theres a loop hole or technicality.

But if I have a suspision that the ECU might be upgraded in some way I have the right to fail it and you need to prove to me it's factory.
It's as simple as that.

smac, Nov 25, 1:55am
Riiight. So what 'evidence' would you accept that the car was factory spec!

thegravelracer, Nov 25, 1:58am
mate you are full of it lol

thegravelracer, Nov 25, 2:01am
As far as how am I as an AVI going to tell if you have "chipped" an ECU which that statment really dosn't make sense and there is only a re-flashed .

For starters how does it not make sence a chipped ecu is a ecu that has had the ''eprom'' chip pulled pulled out dip socketed and a re mapped ''eprom'' reinstalled unless you are familiar with the specific car then ther is now way youd ever know bud !

gadgit3, Nov 25, 2:03am
Lol yea well ya got to be full of it as a AVI cause ya get alot of shreads pulled off ya when you inforce the rules.

gadgit3, Nov 25, 2:08am
Ah it's a generric answer really. I don't have to prove anything it's up to the owner to provide proof. be it max play spec for a ball joint or min thickness for disc pads.
The new wording in the VIRM is new to me I haden't even noticed it to be honest untill this morning. little bit pedantic IMO but and yea good luck finding or proving a remapped ECU. I just stated where the AVI stands.

gadgit3, Nov 25, 2:12am
Yea I do know how to reflash the ECU and do quite a few Hilux Hiace Prado and Landcruiser ECUs. But your reading far too much into my answer.Re the first 4 lines of post 36

pico42, Nov 25, 2:35am
The question was not how you would prove it, but instead what evidence you would accept from the owner to prove to you that it was standard.

gadgit3, Nov 25, 2:58am
You are also reading too far into my responce. so I will bullet point it for you
As far as the VIRM goes I could fail a remapped ECU
As far as trying to find a remapped ECU during a visual inspection GOOD FRICKEN LUCK
As far as proof goes well same applys from the above.
Just because I said As an AVI I can now fail a remap ECU dosn't mean I'm going on the witch hunt.

hotrodtodd1, Nov 25, 2:59am
Any mods involving turbos have to be certed. Had to cert my 6.5 diesel when we fitted up a factory one, as turbos seem to be in a special category as far as NZTA is concerned.

If they swap looked the same, no doubt you could bluff it, but there could be hell to pay later on if you were involvedin an accident or something similar

phillip.weston, Nov 25, 3:05am
I guess if it were a late model car you could prove with recent documentation that it was meant to have xxxx turbo whereas it has been rejected on the grounds of having been fitted with yyyy turbo. Given that the car is 25+ years old, and a Japanese market vehicle produced in relatively small limited volumes with very little documentation (in Japanese) floating around, it would be very hard to prove which turbo the car came with originally. I can tell you on the DASH engine which Jono has, most of them were fitted with the TD05-12 turbo - mine definitely has that turbo fitted. The TC05-12A and the DASH TD05-12 turbo are identical in terms of power output, ie their compressor and turbine wheels are exactly the same size and the housings are the same too. The TD series just have two journal bearings while the TC series only have one. The TD05H-16G turbo from the Evo is indeed larger in both compressor and turbine wheels, but unless someone is a Mitsubishi turbo expert (which most WOF inspectors wont be), you would never know the difference.

I've upgraded the turbo on my VR-4 by using the original turbo core and turbine wheel/shaft (just with an 8deg clip), but I've also fitted a larger compressor wheel and machined housing to suit - the beauty is all the part numbers are exactly the same as per the OEM turbo - because everything you can see externally *is* the original turbo. I don't see why this should require a cert as the power increase would barely be 5-10% let alone 20%.

mrfxit, Nov 25, 4:11am
Fairly simple job to prove the mod has been done on a lot of "those" cars (lowered/ fat wheels/ flashy paint /pod gauges/ ATTITUDE ) etc & any of,< not just the list.
it's going to drive a lot faster or very differently then from the average std model.

If it's just a little perkier then yea, hard to tell.

mrfxit, Nov 25, 4:15am
Factory performance sheet verses a local dyno sheet.

sw20, Nov 25, 6:43am
This could catch me as well. I replaced the anaemic standard ct26 in my mr2 to a 'ct20b' from the Oct '93-> mr2. They are visually identical. They both have Toyota stamped on the housing. They both attach to the stock intake manifold and bolt to the stock exhaust system and intake. However driving the car is like night and day.

jonowootton, Nov 25, 7:17am
Agree here.

alan1111, Nov 25, 7:51am
In my 20 years of issuing wofs i have to yet fail a car on a bigger turbo being fitted. The rules change every few months and is a pain in the arse. I had to today fail a car Mitsubishi Lancer 4wd as standard. The rear section of driveshaft was missing so now only 2 wheel drive. If it had a switch inside or lever to change from 4wd to 2 it would of passed. So phoned NZTA to get correct rules as the VIRM was hard to follow etc. Vehicle now requires a cert to pass a wof. It is these stupid rules theat pisses mechanics of as it is us that get shit yelled at us by the customer not some dickhead in Wellington who wrote the rules.
So dont shoot the mechanic it aint our fault we are just protecting our businesses etc.

falcon15, Nov 25, 7:56am
I think these new rules are more targeted to the cars that come in with massive big top mount turbos and aftermarket ecu's without certs. Its easy enough to wind the boost down at wof time to get past the 20% increase in power rule then wind it back up afterwards. My silvia has a hi / low boost switch it makes 175kw on low (about factory) and 250kw on high its fully certed though. I wont be failing cars that have minor turbo upgrades

mrfxit, Nov 25, 8:36am
And yet, . in the new vrm, if the vehicle is a selectable 4wd (real 4x4) you are allowed to convert it to a 2wd with no cert. (if I read that right)

alan1111, Nov 25, 8:57am
That is correct mrfxit. I phoned a certifier today and got him to go over the rules with me etc as are hazy.

mrfxit, Nov 24, 8:22pm
Well thatsa big contradiction on the old 20% increase from OEM considering it's still there as well.

OEM = non modded factory fitted original spec.

So whats the difference between a OEM turbo & an OEM non turbo vehicle (same model body /engine size etc etc) having an exhaust mod

So, you can fit a turbo to an OEM non turbo vehicle (keeping under the 20% increase) BUT, you can't fit a bigger/differentturbo to an OEM turbo vehicle even if it's only a 10% increase