Upgrading Turbo - Do you need a Cert

Page 1 / 2
jonowootton, Nov 24, 8:46am
Do you need a cert if you are upgrading a turbo on an OE Turbo Charged Engine if the upgrade WILL NOT result in more than a 20% increase in power.

dent, Nov 24, 9:00am
are you adding a external waste gate!

jonowootton, Nov 24, 9:07am
No external waste gate being added. Just changing turbo over to a slightly more powerful one.

phillip.weston, Nov 24, 9:10am
is this on your Galant jono! going from which turbo to which turbo!

jonowootton, Nov 24, 9:12am
Yes thinking about it. Going from a TC05 to a TD05 16G off an EVO 3. Good upgrade!

jsbike, Nov 24, 9:19am
whats the diff between a 16g and a tdo4 off a wrx! I have a cheap one

phillip.weston, Nov 24, 10:27am
TD04 is a smaller turbo. 16G is part of the TD05 family.

phillip.weston, Nov 24, 10:30am
also going from a TC05 to a TD05 will be not noticeable as far as WOFs are concerned. In fact the DASH engine came factory with a TD05-12A turbo (unsure why yours is a TC05). I went from a TD05-16G (factory fitted) on my VR-4 to a 20G compressor wheel with 8deg clipped turbine and it was a big improvement in top end power with negligible lag increase. I think a 16G would be nicely matched to the DASH engine.

lyndapotty, Nov 24, 10:57am
Yes you do.

phillip.weston, Nov 24, 12:03pm
actually I would say you wouldn't. both the TC05 and TD05 Sirius DASH engines made the same power (approx 149kW). There is no way they are going to know that a car from the 80s instantly has 20% more power. The TD05 turbo is a factory fitment on those engines, it will bolt on with little to no modifications.

alan1111, Nov 24, 5:27pm
I issue wof and yes you will need a cert.

NZTools, Nov 24, 5:38pm
Wanna state why!

sandypheet, Nov 24, 5:47pm
Cos those are the rules.

jason18, Nov 24, 5:57pm
Bet you wouldnt even know the turbo had been changed.

unbeatabull, Nov 24, 6:12pm
If it's a factory fitted part and no more then 20% power increase there is no way it will require a Cert. And who has a dyno ready to prove the 20% increase anyway!

NZTools, Nov 24, 6:20pm
sandypheet wrote:
Cos those are the rules.[/quote

The rules are, (basicly)
if you turbo an NA car, you need to cert it.
If you increase the power output by MORE than 20%, you need to cert it.
If you increase the engine size, you need to cert it
If you change an already certed item, you need to re-cert it.

Nowhere in the virm, does it suggest that fitting a slightly larger turbo to an already turbo'ed vehicle requires a cert.

alltorque350, Nov 24, 6:30pm
Rules haven changed as of 1st november. Bigger turbo requires cert. External wastegate requires cert. Chipped ecu requires cert.
Whether the wof inspector notices is another story.

jonowootton, Nov 24, 7:19pm
HMMM this is all very interesting. If I do go ahead I want to be doing things 100% legal for insurance purposes. As Phillip Weston said this engine did come out with the turbo I am thinking of upgrading to as well. Mine definitely has the TC05 at the moment.

mrfxit, Nov 24, 7:25pm
Please explain & supply the links/ spec's

gadgit3, Nov 24, 7:31pm
Yea just checked me VIRM and alltoque is 100% correct. There has been a change in the VIRM Oct 11 updates. Page 13-1-3 note 2

gadgit3, Nov 24, 7:33pm

gadgit3, Nov 24, 7:35pm
So yea I retract my no from post #2 and replace it with a yes. but I doubt what you are doing would be picked up during a WoF

mrfxit, Nov 24, 8:22pm
Nope, just been through it 3 times can't see it specifically saying that you can't upgrade a turbo/computer/ chip or anything as long as it stays under 20% increase from OEM

gadgit3, Nov 24, 8:41pm
I agree and in most cases when a OEM turbo claps out it is alot cheaper to buy an aftermarket unit and in most cases the aftermarket would be conciddered a upgrade. So the new ruling is a sticky one and there for common sense should be used when issuing a WoF

But as for fitting a turbo to a N/A engine and keeping it under 20% you would still need a cert for the fitment of forced induction.

mrfxit, Nov 24, 8:42pm
Contradictions all round.
It's going to get like some USA states where you have to have OEM everything including tyre sizes & changing tyre brands is frowned upon