2003ish Primera wagons.all CVT!

ambo11, Nov 25, 7:05pm
Do all of the P12 shape(2001 onwards) Primera wagons have that awful CVT transmission! And the 2.5 litre models, are they a 4 cylinder still, and whats economy like with the 2.5 in everyday driving! Thanks.

trouser, Nov 25, 7:27pm
There are some 6 speed manuals around.

ambo11, Nov 25, 9:11pm
Manual would be nice, but happy with a "normal" auto trans, but won't touch a CVT. Do this shape come in normal autos or only CVT! Cheers

vtecintegra, Nov 25, 9:39pm
The 4wd version had a normal four speed auto

bmwnz, Nov 26, 12:07am
I had a 2002 P12 2.5L wagon. There's nowt wrong with the CVT, imo.
They are a 4 cyl and mine was heavier on petrol use than my BMW 528. (6cyl 2.8L). They can, like many wagons, be road-noisy, but I changed the tyres to Toyo Proxes and it was like a new car. Handled well and much quieter on the road. Good little wagon.

net_oz, Nov 26, 12:48am
x1
Don't knock the CVT until you've tried them.

jason18, Nov 26, 2:00am
Stay away from 2.5lt models. huge problems with injectors in this car. Told to me by the main mechanic at Jim wright Nissan. He reckons they were getting one every week or so with the same probs. Also the 2-2.5 had head gasket issues. You can get conventional Autos but I think they are only in the Nz version (low spec) My inlaws have a 2lt 4speed auto. Missing reverse camera, All the bells and whistles inside

cjdnzl, Nov 26, 2:26am
x1
You're a victim of gossip.There's nothing wrong with CVT transmissions.Stories accumulate about CVT troubles, but those troubles are invariably caused by independent garages ignorance about CVT servicing, like using regular auto transmission oil in them.Doing that will fail the trans in less than 1000k's.Just like you can wreck a regular auto by using engine oil instead of trans oil.
The correct oil for CVTs is either NS1 or NS2, expensive at about $30 per litre, and changed at 50,000 k intervals.
My CVT has done 130,000 kms and is in perfect health, and I have heard of them doing >200,000 kms without problems.
Most fails are caused by wrong servicing, as you would expect.

bmwnz, Nov 26, 3:42am
I had mine for over 2 years (that's a long time for me) and the only problem I had was a noisy bearing in the alternator.

trdbzr, Nov 26, 4:31am
The main point is that if you are looking at getting a Primera with CVT then be sure to check that it has a full service history, if it doesn't then don't buy it.The Nissan CVTs have to be serviced every 40,000-50,000km with special oil so be sure it was done at Nissan. But considering all the bad press that some Nissan and Honda CVTs have, you may possibly find it harder to sell in the future.

jason18, Nov 26, 6:07am
I had problems selling ours! CVT. I like them but they are very boring cars. Our first cvt 2000 mint no probs and still going strong from what the new owner told me. Second 2004 crapped itself before we drove out of the yard. Had 2nd hand replacement fitted and is still going strong. Swapped it for an 02 Subaru Legacy Best swap ever. Legacy is great to drive!

richardmayes, Nov 26, 6:37am
Sorry I can't answer the CVT question, but for what it's worth I just wouldn't buy one anyway!

The last time I was tyre kicking I took a 2.5 litre Primera for a test drive. It was a surprisingly noisy and harsh-riding little car, for something that had a flash beige interior and electric everything and was clearly trying to be something a lot grander than what it really was! It gave me a static shock as I got out of it, too. That's enough to turn me off any car.

optional, Jan 15, 10:00am
We have a Nissan Primera station wagon (P12 model) which has a huge boot. The CVT has been great (I don't expect or want a SW to be a sports car). Very smooth and surprising acceleration for a 2L engine. I noticed that one of my son's new Coralla has CVT also, he finds it amazingly economical. But for anyone needing to keep their left hand occupied changing gears while driving definitely not desirable at all.