Au falcon Wagons + & - 's

Page 1 / 2
jason18, May 2, 4:34am
Any major probs. Looking at selling ym primera so I can get a tow wagon around the 5k mark. Not worried about kms as long as its a strong runner. Had a few people keen on swaps so thinking be easy swap

whqqsh, May 2, 4:54am
Ive got one after a string of commodores. waited for all sorts of dire breakdowns as predicted by mates but apart from a heater & radiator hose she's been great. A bit hungry around town but more than makes up for it on longer runs & motorway. Smoother than other large cars Ive owned & lots of grunt so towing feels less hassle too

jason18, May 2, 5:43am
Yeah cheers guys. Im not at all worried about fuel economy as its for business and I will claim some back. We need it to tow our cherry picker and I will do some town driving but not a great lot. She will be a work horse so not to worried about looks either. Just need reliability. Say one with 250kms be ok! We probably do about 25km a year.

jason18, May 2, 5:44am
Would you recommend over say a 99 commodore wagon!

chris_051, May 2, 5:52am
Couldn't recommend one enough, massive inside especially with the seats folded down, I've had a Fairmont wagon last year that I picked up for $3500 which is good buying, should get a good one for 5k, try and get a Fairmont as they are a bit nicer inside, make sure the heater and LCD display works. First thing you should do is fit an external transcooler, cost about $120 and takes about an hr to fit. Check for rust on the inside of the sills, around the door and tail gate rubbers, around the windscreen and underneath the front foot wells where the panel seams meet. I've seen them rust here but they are all high mileage cars that have lived outside their whole lives (taxis). Don't place too much emphasis on kms, these will do 500k piec of piss with correct servicing.

jason18, May 2, 5:54am
Ok cheers bud. Yeah was thinking a trans cooler for towing would be good.
Thanks for all the info. I thought the primera might appeal to people wanting to get rid of the "gas Guzzler"

jason18, May 2, 6:04am
hahah yeah it is ugly but reliability over looks for me. Will look into that auckland one too! Cheers bud

mopar63, May 2, 6:09am
had a lot of coons over the years and was looking at getting the missus a Mondeo wagon to replace her mitzy but I think I'll get her an AU,I've got an EL wagon ,great car but it's a bit ratty for her so I'll have to spend a few bucks to get something that will do the same job, grrr,

jason18, May 2, 6:16am
Haha yeH. I got a mate that would give me 5k. Its 150km m6cvt. I think it would move quicker that a coon due to the "petrol crisis "

jason18, May 2, 6:24am
haha got a mint phone and the valiants got good audio :) Might list it and see if the mate comes up with the cash as you know what "mates" are like haha

whqqsh, May 2, 6:27am
yup, I would but a close call, although its hard to admit having had a good run with Commodores

jason18, May 2, 6:48am
oh true ok. I not to worried either way but have always liked my fords. Altho the holdens that year have the looks over them!

jason18, May 2, 7:17am
jez yeah that is a difference! Will make sure I look at those! Cheers bud

roys351, May 2, 8:21am
falcons have it over commies in the brakes something to consider when towing

twink19, May 2, 8:40am
on my 2nd Au 300km still going strong,as tow wagon, paid $4000

jason18, May 2, 9:39am
Thanks guys, Also have a guy I am meeting with a 99 commodore wagon so will see whats best.

roys351, May 2, 9:45am
how much does your cherry picker weigh ! no live axle on commie simple job to fit airshocks on coon

jason18, May 2, 10:24am
What does a live axle mean. Its a 15 metre picker so probably weights 2t easy

jason18, May 2, 10:31am
Ok just googled it. I see better for towing.

whqqsh, May 2, 10:36am
not when mine had the 'silver moustache' type before. BTW do you have a friend called Neil!

jason18, May 2, 7:02pm
Ok cheers guys. Gonna drive both. 3.8 holdens still are reliable I am guessing! There is alot out there.

jason18, May 3, 1:08am
Ok cheers mate, Guess I will see what comes up as the commodore owner pulled out.

mike77, May 3, 2:41am
Just been looking the same as you Jason, and just picked up a BA wgn from here on friday 167km for $5.9. So keep looking for a deal. Cheers Dean if your reading, your a good bugga.
I reckon the BA has it all over the AU in the looks department, as the AU's a starting to date now.
This replaced our EL wgn and had a good run out of - except for brake rotors and pads. Even with the brakes, it was the best vehilce I have ever owned for the money spent on it. Hopefully the new ones the same.

There is a AU fairmont on here right now I looked at at ezybuy in Mt Wellington, which is a really tidy wgn, towbar, cage in back and roof racks with only 128km 6k will get it.

mike77, May 3, 2:46am
The other wgns on here at the moment seem a bit over priced, especially considering the km's on some of them.

Either the Au's or BA have it all over the VT commodores for carrying any weight. I like the commy's and would buy one, if we just wanted an A to B car, but check out the back wheels once you see one loaded up and you'll realise why they go through tires.

mike77, May 3, 2:56am
If your looking at them, check the brakes for any shuddering, pads and fluid., and wheel bearings, check all fluids, look for a service history. Noisy lifters.
Be prepared to service the trans if there is no history of doing it, and perhaps diff oils.
The gurus on fords from here will tell ya what to check.