Cheap 'Chinese' tyres - what goes wrong!

Page 4 / 4
kcf, Nov 29, 12:32am
I bought a Civic on Nankangs . bloody thing made a couple of attempts at killing me on the way home (over the Rimutaka's in the rain).Had a set of Firestone's on alloys in the garage, so on they went!

Thrilling would be one word for it . other words would mostly be cursing, accompanied by hand gestures.

zephyrheaven, Nov 29, 6:13am
Roger that - your brother sure is lucky he is related to you - his is the first Mondeo allowed in the workshop in 24 months! Ha

zephyrheaven, Nov 29, 6:14am
Nothing a bit of angle grinding couldnt sort out francly speaking!

unclejake, Nov 29, 7:19am
Even with a cynical mind that was worth watching. Thanks for posting it.

sw20, Nov 29, 7:33am
LOL that car was a score, he got it for $900 with a suspected auto box failure, got the auto gearbox place to replace the inhibitor switch for about $100 and shes a goer!

guest, Oct 22, 1:17am
I just booth sagitar tires. I have tried for a couple of days and they drive excellent, smooth and they actually provide a great suspension to the car. I like them. Now, I don't know how they will perform in raining or very cold temperatures as of yet. Any one can advise or have any experience with this tires?

Thanks

angel_25, Nov 26, 4:44am
Well said, I guess it comes down to ''Application''-
; and personal budget aswell. I have new kingstars on the GTB family wagon and new N2 filled bridgestones on my STI, Im happy with the kingstars but couldn't go lower quality than kingstar on any car i own, but then i suppose a new budget tyre is better than any bald one

unclejake, Nov 26, 4:44am
I must admit that we had Kingstars on my wife's last car and they were fine. I put Kumhos on the Patrol and the ride was very harsh so we swapped them for Hankooks (gasp!) and the problem was solved.

Thanks for the advice team. I will make a decision soon, but I do want a quiet tyre. The Dunlops on her car now are hellishly noisy (but very worn)

angel_25, Nov 26, 8:28pm
Is there no margin for safety in your budget for yourself and other road users FP! .

jex, Apr 6, 2:27pm
I've just fitted 215/45/17 HIFLY's to a Subaru. I use B roads and drive progressively.Before I had budget Runways which were directional. 3 years with no problems and great grip, though road noise probably suffered. I will let you know how I get on with these. If I get 20k out of them then who's the mug ? I used to be in the tyre game in the 80's and early 90's + MOT tester.. Other than the mile eaters ( Michelin, Conti etc ) which you pay for, most other tyres will do the job if they have the correct rating and size for the car. As for these HIFLY's, I will judge them and let you know based on this car type.. If in the wet I notice no real difference then my thoughts will be confirmed. Brand junkies are not as informed as they think they are !! The argument for top brands has always been a bit cloudy. At twice the price of a reasonable budget tyre you don't necessarily return twice the mileage. Manufacturers of tyres and cars are in business and the best deal - dodgy handshake wins the day. Remember race cars don't have tread !! Keep the pressures correct and stay off the kerbs and all should be well. It reminds me of the MPG figures all manufacturers claim. Not accurate in the REAL world. We're not lab rats and we all drive differently. Discuss.