Tyres. How do you compare tyres ie i have eagle f1s on at moment helluva price been quoted hankook asymmetricals amp kumho direc

Page 2 / 2
opencast, Jan 19, 4:38am
I got some Michelin pilot sport on my REX, man they are sticky but haven't priced them as they were new when I bought the car.

I ran both kumho and GT radials on a Skyline years ago and the GTs were better wear wise.

mr40cal, Jan 19, 5:41am
couldn't agree more - you speak much sense

lasertech, Jan 19, 7:57am
Interesting how people say from one experience with a tyre on a car they are of poor quality. If you use the cheap end kumho for example, they are very average, but the top end kumho tyres are very good, same with hankook. Also largely depends on the car, 4wd or rear wheel drive vs front wheel drive, the weight of the car, whether you monitor your tyre pressures and the list goes on. When we are talking to customers about options we tell them what is best and lay it all out on the table , rather than spouting offabout prices etc, we promote the right tyres for the right application.
Go and find some reviews about the hankook K107, you might be suprised how many experienced people rate them highly.
As i always say, just about every tyre is great in the dry, but its in thw et where they are tested and then the one time when you need them to save your ass and your car's , the good ones will do it, the poor ones wont. Thing is if they do save you from a crash , you probably wont thank your tyres, more likely to thank you great driving.

skyline_guy_r34, Jan 19, 8:12am
Ive had Eagle GSD3 F1's before and was absolutely amazed with the grip levels in the wet and dry. Ive also had the pleasure of using Toyo T1R's on a V8, these also exceeded my expectations.

I currently have GT Radial Champiro's on my V8 and they are less than desirable. Dry straight line grip is average, pushing the car moderately around a corner gives good feedback and you know exactly when the tyres are breaking (which is sadly quite early). Wet performance is just crap. Went left at an intersection the other day (wet) and the rear gave out very early into acceleration.

I definately rate the Eagle F1's as a well performing tyre. And I rate the Toyo T1R as a very good value for money tyre, with grip levels getting close to the Eagle F1's.

skyline_guy_r34, Jan 19, 8:15am
Id also like to add, with a car like yours, durability shouldnt be an issue. Does it really matter if your paying for a new set of tyres at 20,000kms or at 60,000kms! After all its not too much money when you consider the difference in driving experience between cheap tyres and good tyres.

utwo, Jan 19, 9:40am
Check out these Australian consumer reviews of the Toyo TEO Plus. By all accounts it's possibly the quietest tyre available on coarse chip seal. I plan on trying them out myself. When reading the reviews, bear in mind that the 40 to 55 profile TEO Plus has a slightly different tread pattern (higher performing) than the 60 to 70 profile. www.productreview.com.au/p/toyo-teo-plus.html

pandai, Jan 19, 9:46am
I bought a consumer report earlier (and have decided it was a complete waste of money as their tests are rubbish), and they didn't like them too well.I'll probably make the decision when I check everything out at the tyre shop, I want something with a bit more sidewall firmness than I have at the moment.

kwkbrk, Jan 19, 7:21pm
235/45/17`s $276 each fitted. Not unreasonable at all and well suited to the car. Must read the correct resource next time .

pat56, Jan 20, 4:22am
Way outof my league. $650 for my size, phew.

utwo, Jan 20, 7:34am
The link I put up is tyre reviews from consumers (customers), not Consumer magazine.

pandai, Jan 20, 7:39am
All good, the guy at Advantage Tyres did recommend them, so if he's on their side I think they are worth a look

parsonsfamily1, Jan 20, 8:19am
yes go with TEO plus. we sell plenty. highly recommended. Also i wouldnt knock Hankooks.

mr40cal, Jan 20, 8:27am
unfortunately Teo + not available in his size - great tyre though - as before i recommended the Toyo C1S higher spec and in stock at half his $650 each price - oh well

pandai, Jan 22, 1:47am
It would probably be hard to find cheaper prices for reasonable tyres in that size.Toyo proxes might fall within that price range, they'd be alright

moosie_21, Jan 22, 2:42am
I got my proxe4's for $260 each, balanced and fitted, from Mag N Turbo. That ws 8 months ago tho.

sw20, Jan 17, 4:53pm
Don't think you can get PX4's for 255/35R18. Toyo do a T1R in that size, but not ideal for a heavy car. Soft sidewalls.

My PX4's were $125 each a month ago.