Tyres. How do you compare tyres ie i have eagle f1s on at moment helluva price been quoted hankook asymmetricals amp kumho direc

Page 1 / 2
pat56, Jan 17, 4:04am
How do you compare tyres. i.e. I have Eagle F1s on at moment. Helluva price. Been quoted Hankook asymmetricals & Kumho directionals as less expensive alternatives.

vr4_legnum, Jan 17, 4:20am
what size have you got and what kind of car! Myself i wouldnt go for Hankook or Kumho. How much do you want spend per tyre!

pat56, Jan 17, 4:43am
255/35Z R18. Prices from $280-350. 03 Benz C Class AMG

pandai, Jan 17, 4:53am
If that's the V6 version of the car, with 350hp, I wouldn't skimp!

vr4_legnum, Jan 17, 4:53am
Im running the size on the back of my Stagea and i have put some GT Radial HPX and they pretty good and you should be able get those around $280 mark (at work we sell them around $270) Or i would look at the Falken 912 but they be around $350 mark

The GT Radial is far better then the Hankook and Kumho.

pandai, Jan 17, 4:59am
+1 have these on a car at the moment, have used a couple different models of their tyres and no complaints

audi_s_ate, Jan 17, 5:30am
Part of the cost of owning a performance car such as your AMG is that good tyres are critical. Note that cheaper doesnt mean they will last as long as your more expensive ones.
There are some great tyre review sites so if you decide on a certain type, google a review before making up your mind.

vpholdie, Jan 17, 9:07am
the question is what do you need/want from a tyre and how you drive your car! try adrenalin re001 from bridgestone great tyre goodf mileage

lasertech, Jan 17, 9:15am
Why not ask the professionals, how can you expect to get the 'right' advice on here. We deal with these cars all day everyday.
All manufacturers make a range of tyres of differing qualities. Hankooks make some very very good tyres, and so do kumoh. Goodyear make some very good ones, but they also make average ones.
The RE001 is NOT the right tyre for that mercedes.

Sidewall is too soft.
You should look at the goodyear F1 asymetric, continental sport contact 2, pirelli rosso (pretty low mileage on that car) or michelin pilot sport 2. If you dont want to spend the money on the right tyres, then look at the hankook K107, exceptional value for money. I have them on one of my cars now, and have used them before.

pat56, Jan 17, 10:56am
Just sceptical about tyre dealer recommendations. Suspect they push the brand/model they get the best margin on. For instance someone recommended the RE001, they were Bridgestone dealers. I will say that although it's an AMG I rarely give it the curry. Too mean to pay speeding fines let alone get demerits.

lasertech, Jan 17, 8:50pm
Bridgestone delaers have been rather brainwashed into selling the RE001 and yes they do have greater margin in those. If you were to use bridgestone on the car you should use the RE050a.

ct9a, Jan 18, 4:20am
use a pirelli or toyo .

Hankook and Kumho are crap ,just run of the mill tyres in my opinion

pat56, Jan 18, 4:26am
Hankook K107 ($280) & Fulda Exelero ($310) both got good reviews.

rod525, Jan 18, 4:30am
Yep RE050 would be my choice, wouldn't touch Hancook or Khumo either.

vr4_legnum, Jan 18, 4:48am
I have run Fuida Exelero on my wagon and i had a good run out of them. They are awesome tyre. One of the better tyres that i have on my cars. I would go with them if it was me.

Hankook is shit so stay away from them (we only sell them if people really want them)

RE050 is really over price and people who we have seen with them on Holdens never not got good kms out of them. One guy bought a new ve wagon and he got less then 15,000kms out of pair. We put on GT Radial HPX and he loves them and does about 3x times kms and and way cheaper then the RE050. He just bought a other new ve wagon and he make holden put on set of GT Radials

sw20, Jan 18, 6:22am
Hyper have a deal on Eagle F1's at the moment, however the closest size is 245/40R18 for $339 a tyre.Less than 3% difference on the speedo.

mr40cal, Jan 18, 8:36am
what a fucking muppet - can you hear yourself - kumho and hankook are shit! based on what! one or two sets you may have seen, and if you say bridgestone give crap mileage does that mean they are crap too
GT Radial are are poor mans tyre - people who wank on how great they are typically have average tyre knowledge - industry is full of bulgy ball know alls
as to the question Toyo C1S would suit your car fine, high quality, quiet, great handling - asymetric - good price
GT Radial - ha - its time to plan the music, its time to . . . turn out the lights

vr4_legnum, Jan 18, 10:07am
seen alot of poor mileage done out of bridgestone tyres.
Some hankook tyres are ok but i dont recommended them for people who want a performance tyre, they good for city driving.
I know that GT Radial is not the best tyre out here but they better then the crap that hankook make. and il had a great run with mine and alot of our customers have great kms out of them.

pat56, Jan 18, 10:27am
Hey guys, calm down. Appreciate your input & it's interesting to get different takes on various brands. Don't spit the dummy over it. Cheers.

lasertech, Jan 18, 9:12pm
See my point exactly, people are spouting off about one time experiences, rubbishing brands completely, not looking at what the car is they are going on , and not speaking from many years experience. Do not run the wrong size tyre on the car, you have the traction , stability and other safety systems to consider to which the car is calibrated to.

bmwnz, Jan 18, 9:20pm
My car still has the original Kumhos on the back and the dealer put a couple of Firehawk TZ100 on the front when I bought it. I know its all personal preference, but when they wear out, I'll be fitting Toyo Proxes all round. I really rate them.

kwkbrk, Jan 19, 12:07am
I`ve just put a couple of Michelin Pilot Preceda`s on the back of my V8 Benz. They are great. Smooth, quiet, and hook up well. They replaced a couple of Federal SS 595`s, which are also a damn good tyre. Trouble is I haven`t got the bill yet so I don`t know what they`re worth, but not expecting them to be excessively expensive.
The Preceda was designed by Michelin for Oz / NZ road conditions.

pandai, Jan 19, 12:13am
On the phone to the tyre shop earlier, I was told that prices are about to increase, due to price increases in oil and steel, and the weather affecting rubber plantations.Now is the time to buy!

The MXV8's on my car at the moment will be a bit expensive to replace at $300ea, thinking about the Toyo TEO Plus instead - anyone used these!

sw20, Jan 19, 4:17am
I got a super sharp price on my last set of Michelin PP2's. $270each fitted. That was 195/50R15s.

sw20, Jan 19, 4:18am
Oh that made me LOL too. Are you calling NZ/OZ Asian!
http://www.michelin.co.nz/tyre/patterndetail/PassengerCar/PilotPrecedaPP2