Petrol v diesil

Page 1 / 2
dave170, Jan 20, 11:59pm
looking at ethier a hilux or a terrono. my question is which is cheaper too run petrol 4x4 or a diesil 4x4 3 ltr ,taking in to account ruc,redgos,and services.has anyone worked it out.

vtecintegra, Jan 21, 12:00am
Depends on how much and what type of driving you do.There isn't a simple answer.

dave170, Jan 21, 12:02am
normal use not 4x4ing

hamishcookie, Jan 21, 12:10am
Why you need a 4x4 then!

twink19, Jan 21, 1:15am
Terrano would be costly to run, if you dont need 4x4 get Falcon or Holden wagon, way cheaper

thejazzpianoma, Jan 21, 1:57am
You can get a pretty good idea using my webpage
www.dieselvspetrol.webs.com

All you need is the fuel economy rating for the vehicles (grab them off google) you want to compare. I have been lazy and not updated the fuel price but you will still get an accurate enough result to make a decision from.

skunk5, Jan 21, 2:01am
hilux vs terrono

Hilux wins!

yendor, Jan 21, 2:02am
Just get a normal car.

wrong2, Jan 21, 2:03am
non-turbo 3.0 toyota are thirsty

turbo helps a little , but when towing the 4 cylinder guzzels gas

mrfxit, Jan 21, 2:31am
Don't notice any real difference from empty to heavy loads in my 2.4T diesel Hilux

Neither pickup or economy.
Braking is a little harder with 2T and trailer but nothing major

mrfxit, Jan 21, 2:34am
ruc = can't avoid (well not legally BUT . & some km's can be claimed back for off road use)
rego's = can't avoid
services = garage workshop or DIY

Garage = $$$$$$$ $$ $$ $$
DIY = $$ $$

militaris, Jan 21, 2:54am
Maybe they need 4wd a small proportion of the time, but most of the trip would be done on road hence the preference for fuel efficiency during normal use.

For example, I often drive 45km on the road where a normal car would be fine, but the last 2km would on the beach where the car would struggle.

chutneyman, Jan 21, 2:59am
I think you would be better spending your money on some spelling lessons !Petrol by far, unless you like that constant vibrations !

fishfun, Jan 21, 6:18am
you are right thankyou
but what i am wanting to know is which is better petrol or diesel

dave170, Jan 21, 6:21am
oops sorry the above to messages is from me.was on my partners account

mugenb20b, Jan 21, 9:54am
What vibrations!

sydney3, Jan 21, 10:27am
get a surf with a 1kz engine.you will not be disappointed.this toyota will give only GOOD vibrations !

rover79, Jan 21, 10:33am
I worked this out some time ago.
My nissan atlas does 10 to 11 km per litre, 2.7 diesel. road user charge is 4c a km.
working on 10km at 4c a km = .40c add that to the diesel per litre and it works out to basicaly the same price as petrol.

morrisman1, Jan 21, 10:05pm
but remember that the petrol one will use at least 30% more fuel in a vehicle like that, especially if you load it up.

The larger the vehicle the more viable diesel becomes

rover79, Jan 21, 11:35pm
Agree there, but the guy is wanting for normal use, no 4x4ing.

mrfxit, Jan 22, 12:45am
Still applies regardles of the intended usage.

Example:(estimated on a reguler basis but not exact)
$20 fuel,
Hamilton to Huntly return (north end town to south end city & back)

2ltr 4cyl Nissan Bluebird = single return trip
2ltr 4cyl Mitsubishi v6 = single return trip
2.4 4cyl Hilux Surf = two return trips

mrfxit, Jan 22, 1:00am
Can't remember what the KM's are but it's 4.7 cents per km added to the diesels fuel cost.
Don't make the mistake of rounding it up to 5 cents per km because over a distance of 4000kms, it add's another $23 to the ruc cost.

BUT . thats not such a bad idea because if you stick to the 5 cent idea, then it's also covering you for a chunk of the maintenance work (presuming you do it your self) (4000km ruc = $187. = 4.7 cents rounded up to 5 cents = $200 = $23 extra

mottly, Jan 22, 1:20am
we are looking at chucking some of our diesel work vehicles out and replacing with petrol ones - with ruc and the higher rego's plus the boost in fuel costs - petrol works out alot cheaper now.

mrfxit, Jan 22, 3:52am
Depends on IF . you are using them as a workhorse to their full abilitys or just as a runabout/transport for the staff.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 22, 4:09am
What are your work vehicles!