Any Idea's ! Isuzu Big horn battery

warmbloodluva, Jan 23, 6:28am
Hi just a thought not sure if it is the Altenator or ballast resistor ! the ABS light comes on then the other engine lights and they flash off and on for a minute then the car cuts out and the battery is dead flat the shorting out of those gauges does that mean it is the ballast resistor or the Altenator or some thing else any Idea's please !

dent, Jan 23, 6:33am
when its running check the voltage. Should be around 13.8 to 14.4volts. If its around 12volts your alternators not charging.

bigfatmat1, Jan 23, 6:34am
Your car does not have a ballast resistor.
common for alternator and charge relay faults alternators can be rather expensive on your vehicle

warmbloodluva, Jan 23, 7:07am
oh no I was hoping it wasn't the Alternator :0( soooo over it just paid $4K to get the motor rebuilt $600 on tyres $300 on breaks and Rotors etc this car needs to drive off a cliff :0(

bigfatmat1, Jan 23, 7:30am
expect another $500- 1000 for alternator

mechnificent, Jan 23, 7:33am
It sounds like a short in the wiring to me. If it started then it should go for ages before the battery goes flat enough to kill the motor.

warmbloodluva, Jan 23, 7:49am
yeah I am hoping it is a short should the motor still run once it is started ! it runs then some of the light flick on and off and then all gauges come on stay on then it cuts out !

bigfatmat1, Jan 23, 7:56am
is this after ya jump start it !

mechnificent, Jan 23, 8:01am
Like Matt asked. do you start it with the regular battery, how long does it go for before it dies, are you sure the battery is dead when it does die or could it just be a bad connection somewhere.

Matt is your man really. he's the sparky.

warmbloodluva, Jan 23, 8:02am
yeah if you jump start it the car will run for about 2 or 3 mins then all the lights start playing up

warmbloodluva, Jan 23, 8:03am
Oh matt be handy if you where closer :0) I bought a new Battery as we where 2 hrs from home byt the time we got home it was doing the lights flashing on etc and when I put the charger on the battery it was flat

bigfatmat1, Jan 23, 8:14am
sounds like alternator trip to a auto sparky a genuine hitachi alt is around $600 just for alt you can get cheaper aftermarket sub quality units the charge relay will need to be replaced and they take about 1hr and a half to remove and refit. you can rebuild them alot of the time its not worth it as the shafts and splines for vacuume pump. wear out and the parts are expensive

elvis58, Jan 23, 8:53am
I had a RS legacy a few years back with the same symptoms you describe, it's alternator required diodes and rectifier replaced, no longer have receipts or car but i think that was all. The abs light came up first followed by all the others not long after, they flashed just before the cars died altogether.I hope the diode part is right, it was a while ago now.

warmbloodluva, Jan 23, 9:12am
och thanks for your help will tyr get on to a sparky tomorrow you will prob. hear me crying if it is the altenator LOL so over fixing this lemon :0(

warmbloodluva, Jan 25, 4:49pm
that sounds identical to what mine is doing !