Isuzu MU 1998+

aj254, Jan 7, 3:40am
one of my options when I upgrade but I don't know much about them, having been more of a toyota guy, do they have any reliability issues, what's their fuel economy like! (would be looking at getting a diesel one) andsuggestions for alternatives would be good!

NZTools, Jan 7, 3:45am
the 3.0L diesel is a literaly a hand grenade with the pin removed. The older (pre 98) 3.1L diesel is near on bullet proof.

mugenb20b, Jan 7, 4:48am
2.0 litre petrol, 4 cylinder, Suzuki Vitara 5 door, 2001+

aj254, Jan 7, 4:52am
Suzuki's one of the options but I'd prefer the 2L hdi diesel one, although there aren't many around.

mugenb20b, Jan 7, 4:59am
Yes, the diesel is a great performer, but I would be a bit worried about the cost of engine parts should anything major go wrong. Keep well away from 3.0 litre DOHC Isuzu diesel engines (4JX1). They are also used in Wizards and Bighorns. A bit of a shame as they have lots of usable power and torque.
How about a 3.0 litre intercooled turbo diesel Hilux Surf or Prado!

aj254, Jan 7, 6:55am
Yeah they're good wagons but the mu's are cheaper so I thoughtI'd ask if anyone knew about them.
Sounds like there might be a good reason for that!
What problems are they prone to!

nihilist, Jan 7, 10:07pm
Ive owned two MUs and all ive ever had to fix was a leaking steering cylinder on one of them and that was just a kitset and cost me a couple of hundred dollars for my local garage to do.
Not the most comfortable seats to travel long distances (No lumbar support) in but in saying that i cir-cum navigated the entire south Island one week and it cost next to nothing in diesel costs.
I wouldn't hesitate getting another one in the future.

mugenb20b, Jan 7, 11:34pm
^^^^^^^^ What the hell is that! And what year MU are you talking about!

mugenb20b, Jan 7, 11:39pm
They have a problem with injector seals leaking, and injectors are controlled by oil pressure, even I'm not quite sure how they work. Anyway, a lot of them have been recalled and repaired, and how long they last after that is anyone's guess.

nihilist, Jan 8, 12:05am
Power steering cylinder thingy

mugenb20b, Jan 8, 12:10am
Power steering pump or box!