Isuzu mu 2.8 turbo.diesel

bubbles244, Nov 10, 4:45am
remove the egr related eqipment and blank it off.

how ever, turbo's can spool and not make boost if the impeller has been chewed off on the housing. and a overly noisy turbo means worn.

bigmacca, Nov 10, 5:01am
my 3.1 turbo was spooling but not producing enuf boost.we found that the impeller shaft was binding so not spinning fast enuf.just brought a new one and all good.also removed all egr gear.big difference.

bigmacca, Nov 10, 6:05am
there is a bloke on trademe ,not sure his name ,but he sells modified 2.8 injector pumps.i have heard he has most of the answers to sorting2.8 engines.cheers.

mugenb20b, Nov 11, 4:48am
enough

mugenb20b, Nov 11, 4:51am
I agree with other posters, but, I would start by checking the air filter and exhaust system. Make sure there are no kinks in it and that muffler's haven't fallen apart internally and blocking themselves.

bigmacca, Nov 11, 5:08am
also check the fuel filter as may be partially blocked,but from my own experience i would be focusing on the turbo as they dont have a great rep.

mugenb20b, Nov 11, 5:26am
BS!

bigmacca, Nov 11, 5:36am
hey mugenb20b have you tried to buy a 2.8 or 3.1 turbo recently!i have and they are worth gold.you know why!because so many of them have failed and as soon as a half decent turbo comes up its snapped up.anyway getting off topic.sorry the-lada-dude.

mugenb20b, Nov 11, 5:43am
Good question. I've never had to buy turbo yet. I've had 3 Isuzus with 4JB1 motors with 250 to 300k on the clock, but they were always well serviced, maybe I was lucky. Sorry, I don't actually know how much they're worth. Not saying it doesn't happen, but if not treated right, turbos will fail.

bigmacca, Nov 11, 5:57am
all good.i went 2000kms over on a service and it cost me the turbo.wont do that again.just paid 700 for my turbo.i have been on a few of the aussie 4wd forums and they all recommend lots of servicing and get rid of the egr gear.was told they will boost as high as 20psi but of course need lots of supporting mods.10psi is enough for me

mugenb20b, Nov 11, 7:22am
Yep, I set most of my ones to 10 psi as well. On my last Isuzu MU, I fitted a turbo, intercooler and radiator fan from a 3.1 motor, and had a three inch, freeflow exhaust system from the turbo back, running 12 psi. Was a huge power improvement, but the engine sounded a bit like a tractor.

zephyrheaven, Nov 11, 7:25am
Just rebuilt one top to bottom @ work - bill was $11K incl taking it in & out / new pistons liners the whole shebang - I begged the guy not to let me do it & even took him to a few car yards to to show him whole trucks 1/4 the price of his rebuild
Meh - he is happy

mugenb20b, Nov 11, 7:28am
You are kidding me. 11k and the guy's happy! I hope he paid the bill. You can get a complete rebuild kit for a N14 Cummins truck engine for half of that.

zephyrheaven, Feb 18, 5:00pm
Yes sir you can indeed - I outworked the entire job because I didnt want a bar of any part of it failing on this particular person - all we did in the end was haul it out & refit it - Think my end was about 8 hours incl some teardown / ordering / shopping for parts etc etc