Ballpark for engine recondition!

henderson_guy, Dec 6, 4:45am
Just sorta tossing up ideas now, the old girl is up to around 320,000 and the bearings are getting a bit noisey on it. I realise the price will vary between different mechanics and reconditioners, but what sort of ballpark would I be looking at! It's a L200 with the Astron 2.6 engine.

brokebloke1, Dec 6, 4:58am
I did one of these back in 2009 rebuilt it myself, parts are very hard to find but they can be had, cost me in parts and machining just on $1200.
Labour would be about $800- $1300 depending where you go.
If I was to do it again id go with a 3.8 commodore conversion very popular over in Aussie.

1ollie, Dec 6, 5:00am
Depends on if you do any work like take motor out, strip it etc or if you drop it off for complete job at a workshop! If you drop of the motor at a shop and theres not to much wrong $1500-$2500 or $2500-$4000 at a shop for complete job I would say.

twink19, Dec 6, 5:11am
go for the V6 even with cert will be a better optiom

henderson_guy, Dec 6, 5:15am
Considered the 3.8 V6 some time ago - problem with that is, the rest of the driveline would probably need looked at too.I can take the motor out myself, but getting it there could present a problem.

brokebloke1, Dec 6, 5:17am
go and buy a complete VN commy and transfer every thing saw it done heaps of time in ozzy looks very professiall

henderson_guy, Dec 6, 5:19am
Very hard to find a 5spd, there's plenty of wrecked commies for sale. And no i don't NEED manual, but I dislike autos and would rather not own another one.

m16d, Dec 6, 5:22am
Jeese. just buy a new jap import. move on.

henderson_guy, Dec 6, 5:23am
With what I put my ute through, it would be broken in 5 minutes!

brokebloke1, Dec 6, 5:30am
those old 2.6 are tougher than the more modern utes

paul271, Dec 6, 7:33am
Perfect for a V6 swap, we did one at the end of last year, went really well. One of the easier engine conversions I.ve done too. Just sold the ute a week ago, wish I hadnt tho!

r15, Dec 6, 7:36am
put some thick oil in it, sell it, get another one with low kms.

that way u end up with a low km motor, and low km body

it's not like its a rare vehicle / the only one you can find =)

henderson_guy, Dec 6, 8:17am
It's not, but I can either get this one recon'd, or spend a bit more and upgrade. I got this one cheap though, and although I had to spend a bit on it to sort out some issues, it's been bloody good to me and if I get another used ute, who knows what issues I'll be inheriting.

mbmadman, Dec 7, 5:51am
Get a Toyota Landcruiser. We have a 1983 and still has original motor and done 800,000 kms. Still going strong as hell

mellisa2000, Dec 7, 9:46am
3-4k, ball park, 2500+ even if you DIY, by the time you do a radiator clean/replace/Gaskets/oil pump/Water pump/timing chain or belt kit etc. For just a quick rebuild, say 5-600 for rings/brgs/oil pump kit. Plus about 200 for gaskets, etc and another 500 for "Just in case" stuff.
Not cheap either way, but if you like it, and it does your job, go for it.
Just remember the rest of the drive train will be well worn too, so do the clutch and Slave/master cyls. while you are there.
It goes on and on.
Good luck. Fish

henderson_guy, Dec 7, 9:59am
Radiator was re-cored about 18 months ago. Water pump is external and was replaced less than 6 months ago. New clutch kit - about 12 months ago. Also, it's a cable clutch, so no slave cylinder to worry about. Timing chain, definitely. I had the gaskets replaced when I bought the ute, about 5 years ago, but if the head comes off they will definitely be replaced. As far as the engine itself goes, it's not too bad but the bearings are definitelynoisier than I would like. I'll talk to my mechanic about it, maybe the best option will be to just pull it down and replace what's worn.

mk3zephyr, Dec 7, 6:21pm
have to laugh at the term "Ballpark" dont you. Just yet another so called "power" term invented by our mates the Yanks to make themselves feel better

dave653, Dec 8, 12:25am
Ohhh, c'monmate, do it yerself!
It's pretty big job
You'll be right, just don't call Jonesy!

phillip.weston, Dec 8, 12:50am
maybe just prop the motor up, remove the sump and replace bearings in situ, providing the crank is not scratched. In the meantime I would switch to 20W50 or 20W60 oil. It could even be your chain tensioners worn giving a similar noise at that kms.

phillip.weston, Dec 8, 12:54am
also if you are considering spending $2-3k on the engine, I would say you would be better off putting that $2-3k aside and combine that with the ~$2k you'll probably get for the ute as-is and put it towards a mid-late 90s Triton with 2.4 MPI 16V.

henderson_guy, Dec 8, 3:47am
It's been on Fuchs 20w50 for a while now. the ute is a '97 as it is, so if I upgrade it will be something post-2000