VW passat VS Audi A4

carkitter, Jan 28, 6:30am
Much prefer Audi styling myself. What year Audi/VW!

phillip.weston, Jan 28, 6:42am
I think the 2001 onwards A4 is a much better looker, it tends to look more expensive than it really is.

alltorque350, Jan 28, 6:44am
Aren't they pretty much the same car with different bumpers! I could be wrong.They are a low pressure turbo so don't expect huge performance.

_peas, Jan 28, 7:21am
I have just been idly looking at a new wagon and was eyeing up these.Until I saw that the output was a measly 110kw.You get more out of a N/a 2.0l.The torque might arrive a little earlier. but seems a littl on the light side of the power stakes. esp for a wagon.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 28, 7:56am
The output of the 1.8T can vary a lot depending on application and model. There is also the V6 2.8 and 3.0 but one of the hotter versions of the 1.8T will push one along very nicely.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 28, 7:57am
You will be lucky to find a manual Passat. The disadvantage of the Audi is that body is a bit behind the times on safety etc.
The A6 from 1997 onwards however is the first of the truly modern designs with better safety etc. Personally I prefer the A6 every time its much better value and a LOT more car.

That said it is quite big so depends on whether that bothers you.

jsbike, Jan 28, 7:58am
my euro mate told me the same, his a3 had a red "T" on the back, the silver "T" was something like 20kw down on what his was.

lasertech, Jan 28, 8:50am
They run the same base motor, 150 bhp, but depending on the year they went from a K03 to a K03s turbo and increased factory bhp to 180. We work on them all the time and they can easily produce 200 bhp from the 150 standard car with chipping etc. Notorious for boost leaks and the cars will vary hugely in performance from one to another, dont ask me why they just do. If you can get to 2001 models you will get the newer versions of both and they are worth the extra

jsbike, Jan 28, 10:05am
yeah I was rather surprised how energetic it was in the A3, even in tip-tronic form it was faster than my 2L turbo manual cefiro lol

zak1998, Jan 28, 10:18am
Just buy a RS4 Audi you will love it.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 28, 9:55pm
Sorry Kaz but that's the most ridiculous statement I have heard in a long time.

carkitter, Jan 28, 10:22pm
Top Gear found that in their viewer survey. The Golf rated less satisfactory than the 16 other models based on it's platform and range of engines, likely because it was the starting point for all the others.

RS4 Audi is great to drive but expensive even for older models. The turbo Audis are quick but suffer from turbo lag and the diesels more so. I like the V6 models myself, though thirsty they won't have any turbo issues crop up with high mileage.

phillip.weston, Feb 15, 1:01pm
scotty I've driven both the MkIV Golf with 110kW 1.8T and an '03 A4 with 150kW 1.8T - yes both are good with low down punch but I'm sorry my 12 year older 200,000kms Galant VR-4 puts them to shame in terms of power and torque, and even reliability. In the two years/15,000kms I've had my E39A, I haven't had to do a thing other than oil changes while the A4 gave us constant trouble with coil packs, sensors, one way valves etc and it had only just cracked 100,000kms.

This is talking from personal experience of course.