Jazz - Passat 1.8T or 2.8 V6

boardrider, Apr 19, 3:26am
Jazz,

Thanks for your comments regarding my question about the two Audi A6's I was looking at.

I'm now looking at either a 1.8T or 2.8 V6 Passat B5/5.5 wagon. Apart from Cambelts/tensioners and waterpumps, what else should I be looking for when buying one.

I spoke to my local VW service agent (I used to have a Corrado until it got written off), and he said the 1.8T's are gutless wagons.

I'm in Christchurch BTW.

vtecintegra, Apr 19, 3:42am
Will leave reliability to others but I thought from a driving perspective the 1.8T copes pretty well - its set up for torque rather than power.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 19, 3:54am
Try and go B5.5 if you can, there are a few things updated not just the looks and for your price range you should be able to get a nice one with some patience and careful looking. That said don't rule out a nice B5.

Aside from the waterpump/cambelt stuff just make sure the air conditioning is working properly. There is a valve that can cause trouble and its a bit pricy to pull the dash apart to get to it for replacement. Make sure you use the air conditioning regularly once you have one to help keep everything in nice working order.

Other than that just do all the normal checks you would on a car. The ignition packs can give trouble but you would generally notice something amiss when test driving if one needed replacement.

I would also suggest you drive the 1.8T yourself and make up your own mind. They are not what I would call gutless. The 1.8T also has a couple of different output ratings depending on which model, spec and year you are talking about.

Personally I really like both engines and wouldn't hesitate to buy either. Which is best for you, is probably easiest for you to decide after driving both in my opinion. Given you are mostly cruising the V6 is going to be quite forgiving economy wise so there is not massive advantage going for the 1.8T in that regard. They are both nice to work on etc, the cambelt service will cost a little more on the V6 but then having a Turbo you may find the 1.8T costs you in the Turbo department one day. So swings and roundabouts in a way.

If it was me in your shoes I would probably be erring toward the V6 but I would still consider a good 1.8T as well.

Best of luck with your search, always good to hear how you are getting on.

vag.central, Apr 19, 4:04am
Have seen some w8's go cheap, aslong as the cam adjusters have been done they should be ok, 1.8t can have sludeging issues. Do you want a 4motion! As I dont think you will find a 1.8t 4motion

boardrider, Apr 19, 5:00am
Cheers for your comments. The sludging tends to occur on cars that haven't had regular oil changes.

I'm also considering a V5 as well as there is quite a nice 2004 B5.5 as well. Any thoughts on the V5!

As for money I'm looking between 6.5k - 8k.

vag.central, Apr 19, 8:56am
The v5 should be a 20v, 170kw, they go quite well and sound awesome

vag.central, Apr 19, 8:57am
The v5 is basically a vr6 with one less cylinder

vtecintegra, Apr 19, 9:09am
170HP, ~125KW

vag.central, Apr 19, 9:47am
sorry typo 125kw

thejazzpianoma, Apr 20, 12:31am
The thing with the B5.5 is there really is no "lemon engine" they are all really good units. The V5 of course is chain driven so that may or may not appeal. Personally though I don't go out of my way to get a chain driven engine.

johnf_456, Apr 20, 8:43am
v6 personally, they don't use that much extra fuel

boardrider, Apr 20, 10:37am
Ok, I'll keep on looking.

boardrider, Apr 25, 10:13pm
Jazz, I've settled for a Passat 1.9Tdi Sedan - 5 Speed manual. It's a bit of a you turn because I had a Audi A4 Tdi and Seat Ibiza Tdi when I was in the UK

thejazzpianoma, Apr 25, 10:30pm
Nice! Those are a bit of a rare and desirable beast over here. Sounds a good choice to me and if you decide you don't like it resale should be good!
Happy motoring!

boardrider, May 2, 9:46am
Drove it home yesterday night , 53.5mpg average (picton to chch).

thejazzpianoma, Jan 6, 11:05am
Nice!