02 VW Passat - any good?

chicane8, Jul 5, 3:45am
Seen an 02 Passat at a good price. I know little about them; its 2.8V6, 4WD,leather, etc, 109k's. Anything to beware of! I've read a couple of overseas reviews but would appreciate any local info. Thanks.

cjohnw, Jul 5, 3:45am
Oh no!

gypsypom, Jul 5, 3:54am
dog and lemon guide says [not recommended] reliability {dodgy] safety [good] try Toyota Camry

jasongroves, Jul 5, 4:07am
Dog and Lemon Guide is.well.stupid.
Its a good guide to buying Corollas and Camrys though;)

doug207, Jul 5, 4:11am
I think they mention the Mazda 6 also. Anything RWD will kill you, cambelts snap whenever the engine turns, unless it's a Toyota, everything is unsafe, even if there are no ratings. Useless, biased piece of trash.

Wait for Jazzpianoman in regards to the Passat, I think he'll have some knowledge to share

supertech1, Jul 5, 6:32am
perfer a Merc V6 over the Audi 2.8 Yuckys!

rovercitroen, Jul 5, 9:24am
I drove a 2003 Passat V5 that had only done 30,000 odd kms recently. Very underwhelmed. Lots of rattles, more tyre noise than I expected. maybe it was the one I drove. Mate has had 1999 Passat for years. He's liked it but reliability has not been particularly good. Having said that he has just bought a 2008 Passat that drives very nicely. NZ new car. Aircon just crapped out and VW NZ and Continental Cars paid most of the $2800 repair even though the car is out of warranty.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 2, 9:17am
Excellent car with an excellent engine.

That motor is solid and reliable and not too thirsty. You need to check the waterpump has been replaced with an updated one as suggested above and do test the air conditioning. There is a valve that is hard to access that can cause the expensive air con problems as its hard to get to. If you use the air con regularly it should remain O.K for you.

They are a lovely vehicle and plenty of car for the money. Very reliable, parts are cheap and easily available, not much goes wrong with them at all. Highly recommended.

BTW, Qualitat is a good place for genuine parts at a good price.