Any tips for windscreen removal!

Page 2 / 2
jasongroves, Dec 9, 10:16am
Yeah just practising on the cracked one.
Found a guy wrecking one locally and said I could have the screen for $50 of I removed it myself.
Am more than a little worried about paying for it, then cracking in while removing.

mrbigstuffs, Dec 9, 10:16am
i bought a windscreen removal tool from supercheap for $10 bucks bout six months ago. same as the one in your link. removed 2 screens with it so far.

jasongroves, Dec 9, 10:20am
Sounds good.
I looked on the Supercheap website and couldn't find one.
Might have to just pop in:)

jasongroves, Dec 9, 10:24am
I see Sulco have them for less than $40, so looking better all the time:)

snoopy221, Dec 9, 10:26am

mrbigstuffs, Dec 9, 10:27am
yeah it was in a section where the no name tools and bits and bobs were (cheapies) .When he said it was $10 i gave him the money and couldnt wait to get out of there incase it was a mistake haha.

jasongroves, Dec 9, 10:31am
Thanks snoop, have just requested a quote online:)

jasongroves, Dec 9, 10:32am
Even if I buy a new screen, I think I might buy the tool:)

snoopy221, Dec 9, 10:44am
Yeah haven't researched or priced screens for a while but they are one of the cheapest for new screens -or used ta be.

ema1, Dec 9, 11:56am
Yea the wire I have some here still is a cutter type and I got some from a local auto wrecker place actually, they use it all the time, good stuff and it is a gold kind of color and it's tough as old boots.
If you break the wire as can happen you could be forcing things a bit much, good warning though!

petermcg, Dec 10, 12:36am
Time and sweat,,, and some blood, some times you can get the stanly knife around the inside, DO NOT HAVE ANY SCREWDRIVERS within 50 feet of the car while you are doing it.

elect70, Dec 10, 1:43am
Glass firms will usually remove &replace for about ton folding .

lissa25, Dec 10, 8:02am
Poke wire thru rubber and connect to jump starter, wire gets hot and cuts like knife through butter, takes 2 minutes tops. Still need someone on each side pulling with insulated pliers, make sure to pull hot wire hard against glass so it can't damage any trim. And before anyone poo poo's this idea, try it, it works! I have personally done it 4 times with great success.

jasongroves, Dec 17, 10:51pm
Spoke to a panel beater at work last weekend and he was back in yesterday.
Dropped in a box of windshield wire:)
Explained how to use to correctly without causing damage, so should make life a lot easier.
If anyone is interested, its produced by CRL (crlaurence.com), cat. # WW4 and supplied in NZ by www.glasscorp.co.nz , product # AT004.
Will post back once I've tried it out.

ema1, Dec 18, 4:41am
Yep that's the stuff I use.
It's good too.