DRIVER'S LICENSE ERROR

shackie, Jan 30, 3:24am
Have had my driver's license for 18 odd years, when the licenses changed from the paper form onto the credit card type license my license catergory went from full license to restricted.Didn't realise this until i got a renewal after the 10 year period, When i asked at the vehicle testing station they said i would have to resit the restricted drive part of the license.Does anyone know who i can write to about this so i can once agin have my FULL LICENSE!

trouser, Jan 30, 3:45am
What classes do you have on the 'new' license!

If you have a class 1 (car) full and a class 6 (mbike) restricted then the colour and the box at the top are restricted but you still have full class 1.

ola_bitchola1, Jan 30, 3:47am
surely you would have realised since it says restricted on the license

xs1100, Jan 30, 7:24am
been there done that unless you have some sort of proof eg your old license or something else guess what you are buggered took you long enough to realise tho

scuba, Jan 30, 7:40am
did they have restricted licenses 18 years ago!

It should show date you first passed licence

smac, Jan 30, 9:19am
Unless you still have the paper licence I don't like your chances considering they gave you a card with 'restricted' written all over it last time and you didn't question it.

Basically you have to take it up with directly with NZTA (forget the agent) - the only likely chance you have will be if you can come up with a 3rd party like say a bank, finance company, or insurance company etc who has sighted your licence, and get them to vouch for you. If you've had auto insurance they should have your licence type and issue date on record.

sw20, Jan 30, 9:36am
The paper licences were phased out 12 years ago.

pixie_autumn, Jan 30, 11:26pm
Im so glad im not you what a pain in the butt to have to go through all that hu ha again good luck.

zirconium, Jan 31, 2:21am
4a on my licence says "05-03-1980" - which is the date it was first issued. What DOES yours say!:D

jcwholesale, Jan 31, 2:44am
4a on my licence reads 08/10/1976 which is the year I got it

stevel_knievel, Jan 31, 3:04am
IIRC the requirement for a test to pass from full to restricted wasn't introduced until around the same time photo licenses were, prior to that it was just waiting 18 months.

vtecintegra, Jan 31, 4:17am
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/photo/about.html says:
4a
The date your licence was issued (if your licence was issued after 16
January 2006, this shows when you first got your licence rather than the
card issue date).

smac, Jan 31, 4:36am
That makes no sense what so ever.

On the same logic, if I thought the speed limit should be 90, I won't adhere to the 100 limit.
You don't renew for your own reasons, but don't try and say it's a protest about a lack of retest and an eye machine.

smac, Jan 31, 5:39am
Nah I know that, I'm very happy to exchange opinions, but trying to convince someone on the interweb that they're wrong is the best way to look like an ejit :P

I agree with the idea of a re-test at least as far as it should be investigated i.e. at least look at what the rest of the world is doing in this respect. However I do think SOME requirements at renewal are better than none.

zirconium, Jan 31, 10:01pm
A very '70s sentiment. That was my school motto, and imo in hindsight it is absolute rubbish. Headonistic.

stevel_knievel, Feb 25, 10:45am
Ain't nothing wrong with a little hedonism from time to time.