Which car club for motorsports license?

geedubu, Nov 2, 5:04am
Completion of my track car is approaching (I hope) and I need to sign up for a club to get first basic motorsport license with least hassle.Which one is recommended for Auckland resident (car is modified Morris Minor track only for pre-65, club, trackdays & AES tarmac racing etc)

socram, Nov 2, 5:46am
MGCC! Honestly, or Auckland Car Club. You don't really need a licence for track days, but they might want some proof that car is OK as it won't have a WoF, so suggest you apply to MSNZ for a logbook too. (ignore any requests for a CoD, you don't really need it.Might pay to get the car checked by a decent scrutineer.(Andy Culpin of RaceFX is now based at Hampton Downs.)
National Race Licence is about $140pa.

twink19, Nov 2, 6:20am
if you need some one closer, let me know only to happy to have a look

geedubu, Nov 2, 7:35pm
OK thanks for that.Already have a logbook which came with the car; last scrutineered in 2004 though.Thanks Twink, I'll get back when the car turns up, which I hope will not be too long.

kcf, Nov 2, 8:11pm
Go to a couple of meetings by the local to you clubs, and see what one seems like a group of like minded people.

socram, Jan 23, 5:10pm
Swat up on your flag signals.You'll need a face to face with a local examiner to get your race licence.I'd strongly advise that you get a fair bit of track time in to settle the car down and learn your way around from the driving seat, before attempting a full blooded race.Having some idea of your lap times will be of value when deciding what series you are racing in.

No idea of the lap times for pre-65s.

AES starts at 1:25 at Pukekohe down to 1:13;1:13 down 1 to 1:05 for Arrow Wheels.(Add 10 secs for HD)Track days at Pukekohe might be cheaper than HD, but the amount of track time always depends on whether or not anyone is running either single seaters or bikes.Without them, you'll get more track time.

Auckland Car Club have a fair few events and also invites to others, but with a National race licence, you can enter any national meeting.

Check out thewww.motorsportentry.com website for local race regs as most race entries are now electronic but you need to register your car and yourself as driver, first.

You will also need to buy or hire a transponder for most local races.Hire is normally about $30 a race meeting.