How Heavy On Normal Passenger License?

Page 1 / 2
smac, Oct 19, 9:47pm
As above, just fine as long as not over 4500kg laden. Here's the full definitions fof classes:
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/1999/0100/latest/DLM282246.html#DLM282246 and gross weight versus glw:
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1998/0110/latest/DLM433619.html#DLM433619

angel_25, Oct 20, 1:02am
1 of the work trucks we use is a Ex chemi courier truck, its only a smallish truck with lift in the back,handy thing to have but never bothered to check the GVM and got rolled coming over bridge street bridge 2months ago and got a $400 fine as i don't have a class2, the GVM is 5500kg, didn't matter that the truck weighed just over 3000kg on his scales at the time.

smac, Oct 20, 1:18am
Getting a ticket for it doesn't mean it was correctly issued.it might just mean you should have defended it but didn't.
However in saying that, those rules did change recently, so it would all depend on how the dates stack up. Previously NZTA were issuing exemptions for those little borderline trucks, but if the truck didn't have the exemption then the ticket would stick. I think now the rules changed the exemptions have gone.

johnf_456, Oct 20, 1:24am
Bit of an old thread dredge crzyhrse

zephyrheaven, Sep 5, 6:31am
Is it 3500Kg!

morrisman1, Sep 5, 6:38am
went up to 4500kg recently didnt it! It was to accommodate the drivers of road maggots

mugenb20b, Sep 5, 6:44am
4.5 tonne.

stevo2, Sep 5, 6:45am
Road Maggots hahahahaha

zephyrheaven, Sep 5, 6:46am
Wicked - camper time!

dr.doolittle, Sep 5, 6:46am
What's a " road maggots"! ta.

zephyrheaven, Sep 5, 6:46am
I resemble that comment!

zephyrheaven, Sep 5, 6:57am
Hmmm GVM is 5500Kg while Tare is 3610Kg - does that mean no good!

short_n_fiesty, Sep 5, 7:19am
road maggots = those god forsaken slow moving camper vans

next-to-normal, Sep 5, 7:24am
thought it was 6000 for motorized caravans

don_logan, Sep 5, 7:26am
Class 1 ??

don_logan, Sep 5, 7:30am
I'm guessing it will depend if your conversion and the stuff you haul around will be more than a ton

zephyrheaven, Sep 5, 8:57am
Nah, just want a Toyota Coaster eventually for a camper for us & the kids - we will outgrow the VX Landcruiser + Topagee in the next few years Id say

Cheers all

kingfisher21, Sep 5, 9:08am
Correct, you'll need an HT to drive that.

zephyrheaven, Sep 5, 9:15am
Bugger that then

nathanmac, Sep 5, 11:16am
Not finished growing the clan yet.! Miss 2 has cured us of wanting any more growth in that area.At least you're only looking for a Coaster and not an ex Bluff Motors Bedford.

I have an idea your cuzinlaw down here with a Nissan Villain drives it on a passenger licence, I'll ask him what the guts of the matter is.

gorgie14b, Sep 5, 11:23am
Wrong, 'm afraid, although this is a common misconception. Gross laden weight refers to the gross laden weight of vehcile - in this case 5500kg, not the tare weight. LTSA rules state that it is the GLW as stated on certificate of loading that determines what class you're able to use. It also clearly states, make sure yyou don't use the tare weight!
Source of this can be found here.
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/11/driver-licence-classes.html

Simple solution is to do a class 2 license. Can be done quite quickly and easily, and then allows you do drive a vehicle with a gross laden weight up to 18,000kg. Thats what I did.

zephyrheaven, Sep 5, 6:48pm
How many millions do NZTA charge & how much paper war is involved gorgie14b!

Also Nathan, we have finished at 2 ourselves ha ha - I dont know when I will have time to restore my Mk3 sedan , the PA Vauxhall or ever put the Mk3 ute back together but having something else to worry about (bus) seems worthy

*Crzyhrse - pies!! Well - yes

kingfisher21, Sep 6, 12:33am
WRONG! doesn't matter what the tare is, if the GVM is over 4500kg you need an HT.

skinhead88, Sep 6, 5:11am
youll need a class 2 license and theyre so easy to get, any muppet with less than half a brain could do it, will take you 2 days to do learners and full.

zephyrheaven, Sep 6, 5:12am
My Snap On man was in today, hey they gave him one - so it must be like Sanitarium giving them out with Weetbix! Ha ha (sorry Tony)