Goods and service license

drift975, Jan 20, 7:31am
Is it very hard any one that has had fines had any trouble

peacebird15, Jan 20, 7:36am
Long long long exam, to expensive and most of the time doesnt in the slightest relate to how the vehicle is going to be operated. Stinks all round

richard198, Jan 20, 8:21am
25 years ago, all you had to do was submit an annual budget!

mrcat1, Jan 20, 8:37am
Sucker, all i have had to do for both off mine is just apply for them. I got my first one when they were changing from that system to a new system, i just applied and got it, didn't even had to do a exam or anything.
When i got my other was not that long ago when they put the price from something like $30 up to $440, as i had "Grandfather Rights", as i had held my first one for so long they just gave me that one in my company name as well.

pieman33h, Jan 20, 8:48am
i got mine have had fines and other driving convictions, never was questioned on it, i have a mate who couldnt get one because of a road user charges conviction tho so i guess it depends on the type of offending.

big.b-lil.c, Jan 20, 9:11pm
got mine years ago. i did sit a test but it was easy, cant remember what it cost but not a lot then. in the past i had had two speeding tickets and had no trouble getting it. i recall they wont give you one if you have unpaid fines. if they turn you down there is a review process, i think its through the court's

richard198, Jan 20, 9:15pm
I didn't sit any test! It took me ten minutes to write down my budget!

NZTools, Jan 20, 10:37pm
I sat mine 20 odd years ago, and it involved a 3 hour open book exam on transport law and knowledge. Basicly an exercise in how fast you could write.

drift975, Jan 21, 3:23am
Cool iv had fines but about 10 yrs ago and can't even remember what they are so do yas no what I would puton the form

mrcat1, Jan 21, 8:57am
I didn't even have to do that, you used to have to apply thru the court and had to turn up with a judge and go thru everything, budget,income, work sources etc.

richard198, Jan 21, 10:31am
We didn't have to go near a court or provide work sources etc. We just handed in the budget with a form to the office!
Sounds like you had to do a lot more than we did in 1987!
Shame.

mrcat1, Jan 21, 10:37am
No all i had to do was fill out a form and i had a GSL, no budget, no exam nothing, your shame.

richard198, Jan 21, 9:05pm
So who had to go to court then etc.!

mrcat1, Jan 22, 7:38am
Just prior to me getting my first GSL that was the system, i got my GSL when they were changing from the old system to the current one where there is exams and the like. The old system you had to have budgets done by an accountant, work organised and letters to that effect, all sorts really and then go in front of a judge to get your GSL because in those days trucks were limited to 100 miles because the government was protecting the railways, there was no such thing back then off line haul, Auckland to Wellington.The gentleman that had the most influence in the change was the late great Selwyn Scott of Scotts Transport of Tahuna, he had all sorts of stories about how the government, railways,police and ministry of transport was trying to stop trucking long distances in NZ. He ended up in court on a few times by the police and what was then the ministry of transport, they even had photos of his trucks and yard in Tahuna taken by Air Force Andover planes produced in court, them jumping the fences at night and lifting covers and marking loads and then the next day Police following the same truck and pulling it up and checking for the marked loads outside of his allowed distance, the fact that he knew they were doing that, he would have 2 truck & trailers in the shed and they would swap full loads from one unit to the other and have the police confused. I was a good friend of Selwyns and it's a shame he never wrote a book on what actually happened in those days, I didn't know him back then but did in later years, and some of the stories and things he had to do to keep going against the government of the day was something.

richard198, Jan 22, 9:36am
It seems that you've missed a bit in your history lesson. If the "old" system involved courts and the "new" system involves exams then you're missing the system in place during 1987 when I did neither!
As I said, just a budget, no courts, no exam, just submitted the budget.
Acceptance was more or less a formality.

mrcat1, Jan 22, 10:07am
I did mine at the same time as you, 1987-88. BUT i didnt have to do a budget, all i had to do was apply and i had it as you said just a formality. And then when i got my second one just a little while back when they changed the pricing off getting them, i once again applied and got my second one because i had " grandfather" rights as they called it from when i got my first in 87-88, it was again another formality, i just applied and got it, even though if someone new applied at the same time they would have to go thru the whole system with exams etc. Do you get it now!

richard198, Jan 22, 7:25pm
I think you finally get it!
You were suggesting that I had to jump through all these other hoops but now you know the same rules apply to me as they do to you . Well done.

cid246, Jan 22, 11:55pm
I did mine in 2009 had to do three hour test, they also go over all your records traffic and criminal and make a decision if you should be in charge of a transport fleet.
I had fines from when i was younger and lost my license for demerits so they declined me. After appealing the decision and having to write several letters to them i got approved.

mrcat1, Jan 23, 5:23am
No, it wasn't what i was meaning actually.And no i had different rules than you sorry, i didn't need to do any budget like i have already said a few times, but hey, it does take allsorts to make the world go round.