Punctured tyre

Page 1 / 2
a18a, Jan 28, 4:37am
My tyre got punctured today, but because I fail and didn't have a jack in the car with me, I continued driving to the nearest garage so I could use their jack to put my space saver on. I pulled the old tyre off the wheel to find the inside full of rubber (I'm kicking myself now for driving it on the flatty) Anyway here's a photo of it: http://i53.tinypic.com/28mh6kn.jpg Could this tyre have its puncture repaired, or is it now useless!

vpholdie, Jan 28, 4:47am
it is no good the chords are exposed. not repairable.

a18a, Jan 28, 4:50am
Bugga. It was new just a couple months ago too grrr.

johnf_456, Jan 28, 4:54am
You have just coated yourself a new tyre now at the minimum. No one to ring. Couldn't get any motorists to help u.

But yip that tyre is stuffed now, would of been a cheap fix depending on original puncture. What is the rim like, also don't drive like if nothing happened with a spare saver if you didn't know.

a18a, Jan 28, 5:00am
I put a couple matching wheels on the front of the car when I got home (it was a front tyre that went flat). The rim 'appears' to be fine, though to me, that just means it's still round & doesn't have any obvious gouges taken out of it lol.

johnf_456, Jan 28, 5:12am
Oh yup get it looked at properly to be safe.

jono2912, Jan 28, 7:08am
You're lucky, could of been a shitload worse.

neville48, Jan 29, 2:21am
that tyre will be good in a retaining wall. thats the problem with low profile tyres,in general if yur zoomin along the highway at 100k by the time you feel a puncture the tyre is retaining wall bound. the feel is hard to pick up on.damn

intrade, Jan 29, 3:03am
use some strings to repair it your self and see if it bulges within the next 100km . if it dos you can bin it if its dont then you just have to check it every now and then again.
http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/SCA-Tyre-Repair-Plugs-5-Pack.aspx!pid=130235#Description

carkitter, Jan 29, 3:06am
+1
That's caused by excess heat plus the friction of excessive flexing of the sidewall. The sidewall rubber will be heat damaged too.

If your tires are 6+psi underinflated tyre wear increases by 60%.

intrade, Jan 29, 3:13am
cords are in the side of the tyre if they are damaged the tyre wil bulge there.

carkitter, Jan 29, 3:16am
The use of those has been discouraged now for nearly 20yrs. Beaurepaires For Tyres stopped using them on car tyres in 1992. The MTA wrote an article in their Radiator magazine discouraging their use in 1995. Fair Go criticised their use in the late 90's. Yet dumb-ass Patch distributors still sell them and dodgy mechanics still use them as it means you don't need to remove the tyre from the rim, a practice widely criticised in the industry as DANGEROUS. Supercheap Auto in their ignorance have retailed them since they first opened stores in NZ.

Just in case I've not made myself clear, DO NOT USE PUSH-IN PLUGS TO REPAIR PUNCTURES ON CAR TYRES. They can be used on vehicles that don't travel on the road such as front end loaders and tractors, etc.

carkitter, Jan 29, 3:28am
A car tyre is a container of air. The container gains it's shape and strength from Polyester belts made from woven cords. the area under the tread is reinforced by extra belts made from woven steel cords. All this is covered by the familiar rubber layers we know so well. The rubber layer on the inside is known as the inner liner and is quite thin. It's main purpose is to key the air away form the cords where air and moisture can penetrate between the layers and cause them to delaminate (separate). This creates a large lump and/or twist in the tyre which in turn creates a vibration when driving. In severe cases, chunks of the tread may fall off the tyre - happens to truck retreads all the time, littering the motorways. You may have seen it.

intrade, Jan 29, 3:29am
carkitter I have driven 4 years on a plug like that with a tyre just like poster 1 it looked like a retread on the outside.
I did have however other not repaird tyres delaminate on me especiall brigtstone . that was far more dangerous when you got a bulge just like that.2 bridgsone
I do not recommend you sell the car with a tyre you repaired your self as per above its technically not legal to use strings.

scuba, Jan 29, 4:08am
chords are the strings on the harp you will be playing if you try to repair and then drive on that tyre.lol

20498, Jan 29, 7:46am
Im a tyre technician at firestone and yes they do still sell dog turds (string repairs) which we use on a daily basis for off road vehicles only so dont be bagging Patch distributors just because they sell them its only the dumb-arses that use them on road vehicles that deserve to be bagged!

mr40cal, Jan 29, 7:55am
so a truck tyre loosing its tread is caused by a string repair!

carkitter, Jan 29, 9:00am
When I first worked at BFT we used string repairs, then Head Office banned them. Then I went to work for a car dealer as a mechanic and they used them but I refused to. The Service Manager wasn't impressed and said "Why would Patch sell them to us if they shouldn't be used!" About 18 months later the MTA article came out and I showed it to the Service Manager and he was livid with the Patch distributor and demanded he take them away, credit us their cost and supply proper mushroom plugs. I then had no problem doing puncture repairs. Fast forward 3yrs and 3 Service Managers later, and our newly employed foreman was offered string plugs by the Patch distributor and took them. I tried to explain what went before but was confronted with "Why would Patch sell them to us if they shouldn't be used!" I give up. Uninformed, misguided people will continue to use them regardless.

gtrmotorsport, Jan 29, 8:25pm
String type puncture repairs are actually a wof fail as they are concidered too dangerous for road use. they are in the VIRM

mr40cal, Jan 31, 8:32am
so what were you suggesting causes all the truck tyre blow outs then! - thought you were talking about string repairs! no!

carkitter, Jan 31, 8:48am
I type my posts in plain English, learn to read. What's your beef, really!

incar., Jan 31, 9:52am
I fitted these for over 15 years and didn't have any issues at all, this all came about because some dick head put one thru the side wall, tyre blew out which caused injury or death, I carry these for my personal use or as a temporary fix till I put a mushroom in.

mr40cal, Jan 31, 10:02am
no beef, just wondering what causes the large lump and or twist in the tyre which you say happens all the time in truck tyres - you say it creates a lump - what please is it! in englsih please ;)

carkitter, Jan 31, 11:20am
.AIR AND MOISTURE can penetrate between the layers and cause them to delaminate (separate). This creates a large lump.

carkitter, Jan 31, 11:28am
Thereby invalidating your WOF and your insurance cover.