Shock absorber rubber washers

ryans, Dec 10, 9:56am
I installed some Koni shocks on my XC the other week, torqued them up to specs and noticed tonight that the bottom washers on both sides have split. Is this going to be a WOF fail! It's the outside of the washer that has split, so it's more of a cosmetic failure.

ryans, Dec 12, 5:36am
I found a WOF pdf and it sounds like it may not be a fail, as the shocks have to leak to be a fail, but I would appreciate any comments from someone who would know.

mugenb20b, Dec 12, 6:25am
If they leak excessively, yes a fail. As for the washer, well, if spotted by the inspector, it's also a fail. Shocks need to be "captive" as such. Any signs of weakened suspension location or mounting points = fail.

crzyhrse, Dec 12, 6:36am

ryans, Dec 12, 7:50am
Thanks.
It's annoying, I was following the book exactly and was thinking as I was doing it "This seems really stupid".

mugenb20b, Dec 12, 8:32am
Ah.so the washer is OK, but the rubber inslulator ring is cracked. Again, it can fail depending on the severity of the damage.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 12, 8:32am
Why not chase up the Koni agent, as you have installed them by the book they should help you out and replace whats necessary for free.

ryans, Dec 12, 9:27am
Yeah, I sent them an email, I followed "Falcon/Fairlane XA, XB, XC" by Max Ellery, so I explained it to the company, asking them if I can buy new insulators. I'll leave it up to them to offer me new insulators for free, or if I have to pay, because the book was probably wrong.