Regular vs Premium Petrol

Page 2 / 4
sd8888, Jan 19, 7:54am
Harsh. I earn really good money but use my discount coupons from the super market nothing hard up about saving money to spend on other things :)

clark20, Jan 19, 7:59am
Yep, carbon build up can raise compression enough to need higher octane, however high mileage can also mean oil burn, and that oil reduces the octane of the fuel when introduced in the combustion chamber.

jasongroves, Jan 19, 8:06am
Isnt there 3 ratings! Anti knock index, which according to that Wiki article is 'average of the RON and the MON' rating.

jasongroves, Jan 19, 8:10am
If their fuel had a higher MON value, it would also have a higher RON value;)
They also have access to 100 RON of course.

cjdnzl, Jan 19, 10:36am
I need the car since a heart attack 5 years ago, can't walk more than a few hundred metres, and slow at that.That's why I wanted the best bang for the buck, as I said earlier.

johnf_456, Jan 19, 10:57am
Well if you cannot afford to run it on what its designed for you need a cheaper alternative pretty simple! There is better bangs for your back out there for cheap cars, either that or manage money better. Cause the reality is if you neglect the car it will not look after you especially been if you cannot walk anywhere to get help etc. Think about it , might be negative but very true.

Having a car and skimping on its needs is a disaster waiting to happen.

townie55, Jan 19, 11:16am
Is anyone else here of the opinion that I may be damaging my engines by using a top octane pump gas!

jasongroves, Jan 19, 11:21am
Still waiting for an explanation on 'lower sparking points'.lol

jasongroves, Jan 19, 11:21am
Best bang for buck is using the fuel the engine was designed for.

townie55, Jan 19, 11:23am
Hmm, I don't think they'll be back.

johnf_456, Jan 19, 11:24am
^^ SO is why is this even a question for some people would of thought is pretty common sense. What next diesel in a petrol to save cash!

townie55, Jan 19, 11:28am
Hey John, is that a new spin on 'bigger bang for your buck'.

subarist, Jan 19, 9:17pm
There are two types of petrol commonly sold in Japan, Regular and Premium (known as 'high octane').The Japanese standard (JIS) for Regular is a minimum of 89 RON with most brands averaging 90-91 RON. For Premium it is a minimum of 96 RON and most brands retail an average of 98-100 RON.Somes brands also sell petrol with a minimum of 100 RON.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 19, 10:22pm
Poster, this is a topic that has been done to death in here which is probably something you don't realise.

Thats a contributing factor to some of the more hostile responses.

Best bang for buck is definitely what the car was designed for.

What I would suggest is next time you change your vehicle take some time and do some asking and research. There are some properly amazing vehicles out there for economy but they are not hybrids, they are not necessarily"Small" and they are not what the average car dealer pedals you.

They are cars like the MK5 Golf, 2.0 petrol engine thats plenty quick yet it will do as good as 4.7l/100km on a trip. Its not the only one, newer VW/Audi's with FSI and TSI engines with the DSG gearbox do lead the pack in petrol and Diesels.

But other manufacturers like Fiat, Alfa and some other Euro brands are right up there as well, and surprisingly good value to buy as well.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 19, 10:23pm
*Facepalm*

smac, Jan 20, 12:32am
Point to remember though, before going to extreme lengths to save fuel or even buying a car based solely on it's consumption: fuel is a (small) fraction of total cost of ownership. I think that fact gets people in trouble and they don't understand why they're broke.

vtecintegra, Jan 20, 12:33am
On the plus side fuel economy panic makes larger, more comfortable cars excellent buying for the rest of us.

cjdnzl, Jan 20, 1:07am
Thanks for your caring attitude.I never said I couldn't afford it, that is your assumption.I said I wanted the best bang for the buck.I can afford the buck, so what's wrong about wanting the best bang, so to speak!As for cheaper cars, the car is worth about $4,000 max.I've had it for five years.Hanging on to it is the cheapest option; if I sell and buy another in todays car sales climate I'll end up worse off than at present.And I never said I neglect the vehicle either.Where do you get these ideas, except from a habitually critical outlook that you apparently come on here to air!

im_andrew, Jan 20, 1:16am
What a cock!

johnf_456, Jan 20, 1:23am
You simply run what the car is designed to run, well you are trying to skimp reading between the lines so yes to me you are having difficulty paying the costs to run it. As for asking, the right answer is always what is recommended. People that have little or no money normally neglect the car as a result, pretty straight forward you would think. But if thats not the case here then dis regard it, has it is the case 90% of the time. Must of stuck a nerve eh, but either way no issues if you do maintain the car and run it on the proper stuff its the cheapest option by far.

I will read what is presented to me in front of me, since you said you were on low income.

johnf_456, Jan 20, 1:24am
Another one that does not like the truth, face it cars cost money to keep them reliable and easier on your pocket vs spending no money on them. Then expecting a good return. Practical straight forward advice, if you fail to maintain the car then yes surely someone like you would know what would happen. Might be hurtful but the truth is always hurtful.

im_andrew, Jan 20, 1:26am
Nah man I dont bother with maintainence, I run my cars on swamp water and argue with WOF inspectors when they say the cords showing on my tires is a fail.

johnf_456, Jan 20, 1:28am
Sounds like the typical new zealander!

wellyguynz, Jan 20, 8:01am
so what is the difference bettween the fuels do they burn at a different rate !

mechnificent, Jan 20, 8:40am
One's yellow and the other is a nice pink colour.