Queues, Why don't drivers drive like they walk.

Page 2 / 2
goslow, Jan 31, 7:35pm
Well, I guess we can all see who the arrogant 'me first' people are around here. Here's a good little article, simply written so it's easy to comprehend for those with learning difficulties (only if you have time and don't have to shoot off and ruin another motorists day.)

http://www.skaggmo.com/bottleneck.htm

Have a good day, and let's show a little patience and consideration out there.

goslow, Jan 31, 8:16pm
For those with a little patience, try this. (follow the various links in the article, too)

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/11/neither-a-sidezoomer-nor-a-lineupper-be/

elect70, Feb 1, 2:55am
Im sure pysco anlyists have written many a thesis on driver behavior , even the most mild mannered can getfired up behind the wheel .

craigsmith, Feb 1, 3:30am
Sorry goslow, that article is shite. It misses the point. If there's a problem with the way people merge, disrupting flow, then the issue lies directly there - it's not the road's fault for being there. Merging can cause a problems wherever it occurs.

And keeping 50'+ between every car! Is he fucking insane! Traffic jams are caused by there simply being inadequate amounts of road space for the vehicles on them - what the hell do you think will happen if everyone deliberately drives "slower than the flow" and keeps 50' of [wasted] space in front of them!

trogedon, Feb 1, 5:06am
I worked at a school where the Principal (good guy normally) would push in big time. He lived in the North Shore and the school was in South Auckland (Mangere. I know ??

cadifan, Feb 1, 9:47am
If those driving on Auckland's roads who weren't born here phunked off back to their little one horse no job towns the roads here would be a dream to drive around. It's only because of those people (the ones who rubbish the shit out of Auckland and Aucklanders) need Auckland so bad because they can't find jobs in their own sh!t holes, that cause the traffic problem. Just remember, you need Auckland, Auckland doesn't need you!

chris_051, Feb 1, 10:23am
You are incorrect and out of touch with reality. In a perfect world with constant speeds, two second + following distances and corteous drivers your senarios would work. Unfortunately they don't in the real world. I travel North Shore-Manukau for work and see it every day. Have you ever noticed on passing lanes (north of wgtn a good example), if they aren't closed off the whole lot bottle necks at the merge, bring traffic to a stand still. I'd much rather closed off lanes with traffic moving at a constant 50kmh. I think the kapiti, horowhenua council plan for all the influx of Aucklanders traveling thru the area during holiday times and close off the passing lane. Good move.

craigsmith, Feb 1, 11:10am
It's only brought to a standstill to compensate for the increased flow the dual lanes introduced farther back. It evens out. I agree that poor merging causes problems though. That doesn't change the argument in general. if there is road there and it's free it should be used. Period.

cuda.340, Feb 2, 3:52am
it's called "merge like a zip" for a reason. a zip has 2 equal lines it interlink with. dickheads that try & stop the lines from being equal are the problem like 'goslow'. merging is the problem, not the ones who drive down the empty lane next to the sheep.

chris_051, Feb 2, 7:45am
you just put an end to your own arguement - merging is the problem - caused by those inconsiderant wankers who drive down the empty passing lane bringing a constant single lane flow to a stand still.

fordcrzy, Feb 2, 7:55am
what cracks me up is that the majority of people in this post think we should drive the way we walk.

ok so what would happen to you on the footpath if someone walking faster than you came up behind! would you move over to let them past or would you step side to sideblocking them and say something like "the faster you jog the bigger the mess"! i would think thats the fastest way to get your head punched in.
drive like you walk and move the hell over!

fordcrzy, Mar 2, 2:53am
thats EXACTLY CORRECT!