Corolla brakes

hondalova, Feb 2, 10:59am
hey, i own a very tidy 1990 corolla EE90, it goes alright for a 1300. the brakes arnt 2 flash. i was wondering if anyone out there would know if ventilated front brake discs and calipers from a fxgt corolla would fit! at the moment my car has solid discs and 1/4 worn pads.

doug207, Feb 2, 11:02am
Have you considered uprated pads and higher quality brake fluid!

hondalova, Feb 2, 11:08am
Hi, i have new fluid all round and i think lucas pads.

carkitter, Feb 2, 11:10am
I have the same thing from a year earlier. My car is low mileage and last year I replaced the original genuine front pads with an aftermarket pair from a reputable supplier I have used since 1994. The aftermarket pads are crap! They stop okay around town but overheat when stopping from higher speeds. At the bottom of Piha or Kare Kare hill I'm using the handbrake as well. I had no fade issues with genuine pads but be aware they retail about $90 a pair (aftermarkets start at $25 a pair).

I've been thinking about doing a brake upgrade too actually, but I would rather go for a Celica 4-wheel disc setup if it'll fit.

hondalova, Feb 2, 11:18am
oh ok. the rear brakes dont do much of the braking so leaving the rear brakes as they are will be fine, wont gain much in rear brake performance. the celica (sillycar) is 5stud so wont fit the corolla. that is why i thought of the high spec corolla for brake upgrade.

carkitter, Mar 3, 10:40am
If your upgrading the front brakes, I'd upgrade the rear drums too. Drum brakes have always been a pretty average design.

I intend to change the wheels and tyres anyway so Celica brakes, hubs and suspension may still be an option. Yes, I'm gonna go a little crazy with my Corolla, think sleeper.