Mazda 626 using oil. Hi i have a mazda 626 year 2000 which is using oil we have done an oil change and use 2050 oil compression

rhonda211, Dec 12, 6:56am
Hi, I have a mazda 626 year 2000 which is using oil. We have done an oil change, and use 20/50 oil. compression test was all at 175 psi, and there are no oil puddles on ground and no blowing no smoke.

neo_psy, Dec 12, 6:59am
How many Ks does it have!

mugenb20b, Dec 12, 7:06am
They are not suppose to run 20w-50 oil. 10w-30 or 10w-40.

rhonda211, Dec 12, 7:07am
It has done 190 000 k's

unbeatabull, Dec 12, 7:10am
20w50 is way to thick for a 2000. We get get taxis up around 5-600,000k's and we still put 5w30 in them.

How much is it using! It could be dripping into the undertray if it has one and not be enough to soak through to leave drips on the ground. Would have to put it up on the hoist to see.

If theres no puddles on the ground, it can only be going two other places, out the exhaust, or mixing in with the Coolant.

lugee, Dec 12, 7:19am
Could also be leaking above the exhaust manifold and then burning off before it can drip down. Would only account for a small leak though.

rhonda211, Dec 12, 7:24am
It is not mixing with the coolant, and not coming out the exhaust. I am at a lose as to what the cause is. Ever heard of a PCV valve, and could this be the cause.

dent, Dec 12, 7:41am
how much is it going through

unbeatabull, Dec 12, 7:42am
You would smell it if its burning on the exhaust.

The PCV ventilates gas from the Crankcase into the Cylinder head, You would see a visible leak IF it was leaking, and it would make your car run differently.

Working on those cars/engines quite a bit (Ford Telstar, same bits/diff car) most common sources of oil loss on them are from the Rocker Cover, Sump and Crank Seals.

How much oil is it using/losing!

crzyhrse, Dec 12, 7:48am
20W/50. that's a hell of a thick oil to use in a car of that age.

crzyhrse, Dec 12, 7:56am
BTW the PCV won't promote oil use unless it's blocked, not leaking. And even then it'd have to be coming out the exhaust or leaking onto the ground. The PCV is for drawing combustable gases from the crankcase using manifold vacuum to burn them.

It hasn't been stated how much the engine is actually using and over what period - it may be miniscule.

When is the oil level being checked! It should be checked COLD on a level surface.

rhonda211, Dec 12, 6:43pm
I am checking it every couple of months. Did oil change end of july, and just put in 1 1/2 litres. Checked again in Sep and topped up. Put around 1/2 litre in every two to three months. Am using 20/50 as a mechanic suggested using thicker oil to help reduce oil comsumption.

rhonda211, Dec 12, 6:44pm
x1
I am checking it cold and on a level surface every time.

r15, Dec 12, 6:50pm
when did you begin using golden syrup for oil in this engine any why!

eg did it use heaps of oil on the correct grade!or rattle!or !

crzyhrse, Dec 12, 8:33pm
1½L is a lot to put in. You sure about that!

You should definitely move away from that tar you're using at the moment.10W/40 would be what I'd run in something of that vintage.

What brand of oil are you using!

unbeatabull, Dec 12, 9:39pm
We use 15w40 in them at work, well in the telstars anyway, which are same engine. 10w40 or 10w30 would be fine though as thats what they had when new.

Is it auto or manual!

phillip.weston, Dec 12, 10:08pm
Why is everyone so concerned about 20W50! it's what I would use in an engine which is done high kms and is burning oil. The FS engine which is in there has its roots in the early 90s, if not related to the 80s F series engines. It's not a complicated modern engine here guys.

Strange that it's not smoking though - have come across a few Mazdas which consume oil but they had obvious smoking out the exhaust, usually due to a cracked piston or damaged ring land.

drew2009, Dec 12, 11:56pm
sounds like it must be rooted if it uses that much oil on 20w-50.
something is seriously wrong here.

franc123, Dec 13, 7:20am
Oh for goodness sake we are talking half a litre every few months!Under normal daily useage its hardly justification for taking any serious action, my pick is that the guide seals are starting to get a bit tired, which would no doubt be indicated by a bit of ash fouling of the spark plugs.15W/40 would be the preferable grade of oil but 20W/50 is not going to kill it, might get the lifters rattling a bit briefly while it warms up but thats all.If it does happen to slow the consumption down a bit then so much the better.

crzyhrse, Dec 13, 7:27am
1½L every 4 months.

snoopy221, Dec 13, 7:36am
compression test was all at 175 psi
Either pull it apart and put some rings on the pistons-or keep putting 20 50 in it.