Rat rod advice

Page 1 / 2
bigjerry, Jan 31, 11:21pm
Rat rods, love em. Have a wee side project, not your typical rat, its a sedan for a start. So does anyone have good advice for the rat look. its always good to talk these things over. I know i have a good looking engine bay, nice rusty headers, a dirty twin manifold. What are some cool tips for body etc! even add ons!

1fordluva, Feb 1, 12:01am
Skulls and matt black.farken big skulls bigjerry massively long gearstick or shifter with another farken big skull on it lol

afer_daily, Feb 1, 12:12am
plus some graphics / like ed roths aka big daddy .

bigjerry, Feb 1, 2:20am
fordluva, you can never have too many skulls mate, hell yeah, as for you prawn, you ruined my surprise for the wifes car, i was gonna instal neons this weekend haha. your a strange fish in a crazy sea mate

lookoutas, Feb 1, 5:42am
Looks like someone didn't know whether they were building a boot or a car!
And biker will get you for not posting the link.

bendean, Feb 1, 6:02am
no guards or wheel arches faded matt paint and old school sign writing

the_chooky, Feb 1, 6:07am
Sandblast it back to bare metal, spray it with spirit of salt, leave it outside for 3 weeks,then spray it with fisholene to preserve the rust.

trademerob, Feb 1, 6:10am
monsta tacho yea make the car so much faster.eh! If you dont know when to change you should not even have a car.

woody1946, Feb 1, 6:14am

rob_man, Feb 1, 6:14am
There's a Model A roadster parked in the Western Springs carpark most speedway nights that's straight out of 1961. Crossplies on V8 rims, flathead with no bonnet, 32 grille, no rear guards, matt black and a dirty old bench seat.

bigjerry, Feb 1, 7:55am
yeah im keen on the signwriting, nice and faded, something obscure.

whqqsh, Feb 1, 8:02am
I thought rat-rods were slinging together whatever you had & making a budget rod. now its become a 'what does everyone else thinks is cool' & to a set formula. No wonder I hate rat rods

lookoutas, Feb 1, 9:39am
Shit! that was meant to be BOAT

i-n-horz, Feb 1, 10:53am
You can pick any flavour you want BJ from the rust look to cracked,chipped and faded paint,sign written with whatever but the one thing you've got be sure of is to give'er the chop.you know keep it slung low.
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=wU1wlPIHDm0

roys351, Feb 1, 11:07am
very nice but there is no way i could get in or out of that

bigjerry, Feb 2, 12:29am
yeah but its goota look cool mate, im just lookin for tips, there will be a few on here who have built rats and only a fool ignores advice from those who have been there, you hate rat rods! wierd.

i-n-horz, Feb 2, 3:41am
That's what happens FP when you can't afford a rego for the bikes.you get up to no good ;)

whqqsh, Feb 2, 3:50am
not weird, just able to make up my own mind as to what I like & not follow a trend as well as a rusty trail of shite. Cant understand why someone would take all the time to build a car & then plan to make it look as shitty as possible. the guy who bought a new boot lid & poured battery acid over it to make it look rust & old must take the cake. if you want it looking old then age it by driving it shitloads

woki, Feb 2, 9:19am
Sand all the paint off and wash with salt water . Lots of dents but nothing deeper than 25mm on structural parts as is a wof failure . plastic dog poos lined up on the dash . If has any chrome fittings ensure they arent hanging straight . That should keep you busy for a while !

bigjerry, Feb 2, 10:07am
nope. you dont UNDERSTAND rat rods, they dont look shitty, they are meant to look worn, munster, you know like they been in a desert. albeit there is a fine line between cool and crap. Oh and following a trend! hardly common man stuff

i-n-horz, Feb 2, 10:10am
Some may look like pieces of sh!t but they're actually built to some high specs including the power-plant the rest is merely for show or cosmetic,recreating a vehicle from days past with added features and creating them quickly.
Sure there are some slapped together suicide sacks of sh!t out there which goes for anything else such as motorcycles,rods,street cars etc.
Stripping paint of a new lid to create the old rusted look is what you do if you can't get hold of an orignal piece,to get this effect naturally would take a life time and some folk don't like to wait too long for their toy to be roll'n.
Love'm or hate'm you can pretty much say their here to stay and like rock 'n' roll it will never die.

drog, Feb 2, 10:36pm
I've seen it too! Awesome.

drog, Feb 2, 10:39pm
My motor-mechanic uncle reckoned the best performance tweak was a weaker throttle return spring. Just sayin.

drog, Feb 3, 2:36am
My wifes first car was a D series Bambina. She got the speedo off the clock down the Greenhithe bridge. Best car ever, she reckons.

dr.doolittle, Feb 3, 2:50am
I know of someone (Unassuming kind of guy) with a Ford model B4(!) pick-up. Flathead V8, auto box, dropped front spindles, trident mags (slightly rusty), ORIGINAL paint & interior.
He's in his late 40's I'd say & has had the car since he was 16. (I think he built some of it then)
This would have to be one of the coolest cars I've seen. Nothing re-manufactured, just oozes cool.

Forgot to mention, all legal too, reg, wof.