Galaxy of Cars 2011 @ MOTAT

vjregal770, Feb 6, 12:16am
Anyone here go! What was your take on it (particularly those who arrived as individuals, not club members)!

I spoke to a fair few who were less than impressed with having to park their car/s half a bloody mile away, only to walk in and see things like late-model Dunnydoors with Chinese mags on them on display.

sunwest, Feb 6, 12:43am
Was going to go but didn't want to spend a hundy on gas. So how was it!

vjregal770, Feb 6, 1:51am
It was shit.

There were a lot people I spoke to who were very unimpressed with having to park MILES away at the back of a huge field with the general public parking, despite having brought their classic/s for the obvious purpose of participating in the show. And had to pay to get in for the privilege.

Then you get in only to see pieces of crap like a 1988 Corona, or a 2004 Berlina with a set of el cheapo Chinese mags on show!

If I want to see utter shit like that, I'll just go to any carpark for free.

Also, parking way out in the "refugee camp" the field is on a steep hill, so the outside section of it is on a fairly considerable bank. Turning onto the flat meant a decent chance of catching the rear quarter on the ground if you weren't careful, especially if your car had a lot of rear overhang.

The swapmeet was great - if you wanted accessories for your tea-set.

I very much doubt I'll return.

socram, Feb 6, 2:11am
Thanks for that.

Glad I didn't go.Can't go to everything at this time of the year, so knowing what is worth going to and what isn't, relies on members' feedback.

Ellerslie next weelend always varies by about 20% but you do get used to seeing many of the same cars, year after year.I'd rather see an unrestored old Riley that I haven't seen before than a mint Corolla and I don't care who wins the concours either.

Unfortunately, a lot of the clubs don't now support it, as they don't stand a chance of winning - which misses the point.It's a car show first and a concours second - in my book anyway.

vjregal770, Feb 6, 2:20am
I agree.

There seems to growing mentality that you're second-class if - horrors! - you're not in a club.

Ellerslie used to have a show 'n shine which was good for variety, but that's long gone now, so all you see is the SAME cars from the SAME clubs parked in very nearly the SAME place every year.

It's getting real boring, real quick. Now it looks like Galaxy is heading down a similar path.

I should also mention that there were a few big gaps in the display area which must've been for (club members') cars that never even arrived.

jeffqv, Feb 6, 3:38am
Isn't Ellerslie next weekend!

socram, Feb 6, 3:42am
Someone will confirm this I am sure, but didn't the rules change for the concours whereby they couldn't just enter the same cars year after year!

Often the public or non club area is the most fascinating area of all and they need to encourage variety out there. Some of the larger clubs have far too many similar cars there but I suppose that is the perk of winning the event.

For anyone who has been to the Goodwood Revival, there is separate parking for pre 1966 cars which is just mind boggling.Even on the Friday, the low key day, the car park for pre 1966 had well over a thousand cars, with many real rarities. Two Gordon Keebles (out of 99), several genuine Austin Healey 100S (55 made), Triumph Italia, Brough Superior motorbikes, vintage motor coaches etc - and that was just one corner of the field! I didn't have time to really explore.

tuttyclan, Feb 6, 4:36am
Craig I went,looked around for your car but did not see it.
Did you not even get to display your car.
I took along my HA Viva as my F Victor needs some work done for a WOF.

johnf_456, Feb 6, 5:28am
Others in the household here went, it was crap from what I'm told.

vjregal770, Feb 6, 7:07am
Hey Robin, you never saw my car because, like a lot of others, we were made to park in an adjacent field (if you follow the road to the right, it's about 100m down the hill).

I did see your car there, but by that time I'd pretty much had enough of the place.

amber.gumdrop, Feb 6, 7:09am
yep went yes it sucked. Nuff said

sunwest, Feb 6, 8:09am
Sweet im glad i didn't waste the gas. Cheers.

tractor9, Feb 6, 9:17am
I took my car, joined in with the car club I belong to. Thought it was pretty good. However I do agree it could have been better. The early years of Galaxy of Cars was better because normal drivers and not weekend or once a year outing cars went, their owners were down to earth types and not the pretentious twats like at the Concourse and who are now creeping into this show. The swapmeet had more cups and saucers and brassware than car parts this year. The toilets were few and far between - about 10 portaloos that I counted and a few toilets in the aircraft pavilion is really not enough for a show like this with all the bullshit flying around. And for goodness sake get some one on the gate who has a personality and not someone who has some power trip with authority who waves his arms about yelling NO, YOU CAN'T DO THIS/THAT, GO TO THE BACK OF DOWN HERE AND PUT THIS ON YOUR.palava. Maybe they need a bigger venue now that the aircraft area has been developed so thatmore VJ Regals and the like can be parked for all to enjoy rather than languishing in a carpark miles away.

phillip.weston, Feb 6, 9:36am
I went today, and I think I enjoyed it more than Kumeu. I think maybe if you guys had arrived earlier, or had got yourselves organised into a club stand before hand you wouldn't have had issues. There was all sorts on display today, from vintage Ford Model Ts right through to the above mentioned late model Commodores (and there were some damn nice ones at that too).

Who are you or your friends to say what does or does not belong to such an event! It's not like Kumeu or Beach Hop when something post 1970s-ish, or not American/Australian is frowned apon.

vjregal770, Feb 6, 9:47am
Yep. "Ellerslie Syndrome" has made its presence felt at GoC, but at leastwith Ellerslie, you got to know what was changing ie, when they got rid of the show 'n shine.

I would still rather have the most pretentious of owners with their trailer queens than the late-models Commodores and crap I saw today. Bllody hell, I could've saved the gas and just gone to Davie Motors and wandered around there!

vjregal770, Feb 6, 9:59am
I got there at 9.10. No different to any other year for me. Never been an issue in the past.

I choose not to be in a club. Why is that suddenly a crime! I'm a car enthusiast, I brought it out to display like I've done ever year there since 2004. But now, all of a sudden, I'm denied entry simply because I'm not in a club. That's BS.

I'm not trying to dictate what can go in or not, but it's a bit grating to see stuff like that there when YOURS has been given the heave-ho. I'm not the only one here who thinks this.

Your comments re. Kumeu/Hop are wrong. Although small in number, UK/European and even a few 70s-era Japanese turn up to Kumeu, and post-1972 cars can apply to register for the Hop. And if 2010 was anything to go by, a lot of post-72s have no problem.

The veteran/vintage display at GoC was the one bright spot for me. That's always been a highlight. I spent a while talking to the very pleasant owners of 2 gorgeous Packards early on.

phillip.weston, Mar 19, 10:59am
I think most of the club stands were full, which is why there wasn't much room for single cars. We were there about 9am also and seemed to be plenty of room until about 11am where we were completely boxed in.

As this was my first year going to GoC, I couldn't really imagine it being even better than it was. I too did think some cars were perhaps out of place, like the 88 Corona for instance.

I think it's basically first in first served, and with being in a club stand you are pretty much gauranteed entry!

I did see the Packards and thought they were very gorgeous also. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera on me at the time I wandered passed them.