Need Advice ASAP

lisa921, Dec 16, 6:39am
Going on long trip tomorrow morning and just checked my cars oil and I need some. I've only had the car 6 months so haven't done it yet.

2002 Honda Odyssey 2.3l

Anyone know which kind to put in!

intrade, Dec 16, 6:45am
well its a newer car so put expensive oil in it and make sure to put it on the right place , like are you sure you mesured the engine oil! and not the automatic transmission fluid!

lisa921, Dec 16, 6:47am
Yes I know my way around a motor and what is what. oil is the big dipstick transmission is the little one. God would die if I was low on transmission fluid don't wanna screw the gearbox.

intrade, Dec 16, 6:50am
any semy or fully synthetic oil will be ok for that 1 liter is from the minimum mark to maximum mark so dont overfill it as most cars dont like to be overfilled. I would buy a 1 liter bottle for 20$ higher grade oil always mixes with lower grade no problem.

neo_psy, Dec 16, 6:51am
What intrade said.
Then maybe do an oil and filter.

snoopy221, Dec 16, 6:52am
Need Advice
mmkay advice would be to purchase an oil pack. Car is coming up 10 years old-and probably hasn't had an oil change in the six months ya had it.
nd more importantly (time of the year and all) seems to be heading on a LONG.TRIP.
This can lead to it **using oil as it burns the condenstion ou.
so expect top up now and during/after trip then change and filter.
not warehouse but a cheap repco/supercheap 15/20 40/50 oil pack///

lisa921, Dec 16, 6:52am
My internet research tels me 5w20 so I guess I go with the expensive version of that :)

mugenb20b, Dec 16, 6:55am
10w-30 or 10w-40.

lisa921, Dec 16, 6:55am
Sweet thanks! That's the kind of advice my dad would give me :)

May even attempt (with supervision) to do oil change myself.

vtecintegra, Dec 16, 6:59am
Yeah 5w20 sounds too thin - that is what they recommended in the States but I think that had more to do with economy figures.

franc123, Dec 16, 7:01am
Not to mention perishingly low air temperatures and snow in certain parts of the country.A 10 or 15W/40 will be fine.

mugenb20b, Dec 16, 7:08am
You'll need a good jack and axle stands or ramps. Sump plug size should be 17mm (replace its sealing washer every oil change). Oil filter is Z79X (Ryco brand) make sure the old oil filter's rubber sealing ring is not stuck to the engine before you fit a new one, and the engine should hold at least 4 litres of oil, some hold 5. Wear gloves and watch out for the hot exhaust pipe. Good skill to learn to do your own oil change, will save you money as long as you do everything right and not leave anything loose.

m16d, Dec 16, 7:08am
If you havn't checked you oil for 6 months, then it doesn't matter what you stick in it.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 16, 7:12am
Great instructions Mugenb20b,
Just to add my 2c when Mugenb says watch out for hot exhaust pipe thats because you want to change the oil when the engine is properly warm.

mugenb20b, Dec 16, 7:16am
I forgot to add that oil level should be checked on level ground, not leaning at 40 degrees to one side.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 16, 7:18am
Good point!
Its actually quite hard coming up with all the things you do without even thinking after having done it so many times!

Edit:
I thought of a couple more things. Before you put the filter on, wipe the rubber on the new filter with some of the new oil. To tighten the filter turn it about 3/4 of a turn after you feel the rubber make contact. To double check this should be nearly as tight as you can turn it by hand.

Edit. more things!
When you think you are done and the oil is at the right level, start and run the car for 30 seconds then check it again. This pumps the oil into the oil filter and will give you a final level.

crzyhrse, Dec 16, 8:36am
The last guy that owned it thought "I'm selling it in a year - I'll stop wasting money on oil changes".