Anyone bought the Ford Racing Laps

52many, Dec 16, 7:17am
In Auckland off the Yazoom site! We are going to be in Auckland mid January and just wondering how the booking part of it all works! I would hate to spend so much money only to miss out.because there are no slots left in the dates we require.

52many, Dec 16, 7:51am
Anyone done the laps to offer opinions!

h.e, Dec 16, 7:58am
i done holden racing experience,2 hot laps then i drove for 4-5 laps,great fun highly recommend it,wouldnt do it again only because of the expense

52many, Dec 16, 8:13am
How much did it cost you h.e! Being able to drive would be awesome!

ninja_man, Dec 16, 8:16am
i did it around 1 month ago, cost $150 for 3 laps

52many, Dec 16, 8:31am
Ok ninja_man did you have fun! Was it what you expected less or more!

ninja_man, Dec 16, 8:42am
yes it was a fantastic experience, worth the money (wouldnt pay the normal price of $500 though). Although i only got 2 laps due to a mechanical failure with the car, but now i get another 3 laps after christmas haha

rednsr, Dec 16, 8:42am
Its not very fun. I have done a number of different types of hot lap and its not worth the money imho

ninja_man, Dec 16, 8:44am
But for me, iv been in v8's, turbo roatries and a silvia drift car around pukekohe so i guess it wasnt more than i expected, However if you have never been in a proper fast car before then you will LOVE it.

tats63, Dec 16, 5:58pm
I had a go with Formula Challenge in April (birthday treat) You can drive v8s or Formula Challenge single seaters. I absolutely loved it (and I'm normally a two wheel man) Driving (or riding) fast on the road cannot compare, this is full on, no holds barred with expert tips. If you've got a hint of petrol head in you go for it - you'll love it.

h.e, Dec 17, 2:09am
the wife bought it for my 40th think it was $500,beware if you crash it you own it,car i drove they had just got back cost some poor customer $20k,apparently went a bit wide couple of tyres on the grass and it turned pear shaped

brokebloke1, Dec 17, 3:47am
sorry to disapoint you but thats not the case, the cost covers the excess if you do crash, Canterbury motorsport club here in chch run it, if you did have to pay for damage then you wont get many people racing the cars.
On the Gold coast you can race a Holden of Ford for 10 laps price is $500 and you get to drive with a camera filming your reactions, this is well worth the money as you are driving a ex detuned V8 supercar, where over here you are drivinga ex BNT V8.

lisah8, Dec 17, 5:27am
Sorry to disappoint but you are not right.Insurance companies won't insure race cars or hotlaps cars, and in the few cases that they do the cover is only for when professional drivers are behind the wheel, not joe public.

h.e, Dec 18, 12:51am
sorry but no insurance in racing fella,had to sign a waiver to the effect of its all my fault,i will pay if i crash, i wont sue if injured

brokebloke1, Dec 18, 2:36am
no where Did I mention Insurance companys, yes it is true they wont insure race cars but the excess is paid to the school who is promoting the venue.only if you crash

lisah8, Dec 18, 4:17am
Excess from where!

I can assure you that race car driving experiences in NZ are run on a 'break it you pay for it' system - simply because they can't get insurance.

Maybe Canterbury motor sport charge a bit more to cover any crashes, but that's not the norm.

rug_nz, Dec 18, 4:49am
Incorrect, I just booked my driving experience at Taupo for next year.
This is in their FAQ.
"What happens if I damage a car!
You are liable for any damge to the car while you are driving. We do offer an indemnity waiver fee which will reduce the excess that you would have to pay. For example - the Drive a V8 racecar experience, a fee of $50 will limit your liability to an excess of $300 for any one incident."

lisah8, Dec 18, 4:53am
How is what I said incorrect!

The cost you have paid for the driving experience doesn't cover crashes (which is what I was saying), they have given you the option of paying more in case you crash.

rug_nz, Dec 18, 4:55am
Sorry had to change that as I was a little wrong.
They must have insurance.

lisah8, Dec 18, 5:01am
The first line clearly says you are liable to pay for any damage, the fee you can pay ($50) will just reduce the excess you have to pay.

As I said above, insurance companies won't insure race cars on race tracks, even more so if someone who doesn't own the car is driving it.

rug_nz, Dec 18, 5:07am
So if I pay $50 and crash, pay $300 excess, the company is copping the rest!
With them using the word "excess" it makes it sound like they have insurance to cover the rest!

lisah8, Dec 18, 5:09am
Let's say you crash and write off the car, I very much doubt you are only going to have to pay $300.

They won't have insurance as insurance companies won't insurance race cars on race tracks.

darryl, Dec 19, 8:21am
I did the laps at Hampton Downs.

I was offered no excess and if I crashed I had to pay all repair costs, or .
I paid a $50 fee to limit my liability to $400 for any damage.

And it was great fun too