Smoke and excessive oil leakage

reggienz, Dec 17, 8:34am
Isuzu 2.8 turbo. (4JB1) Was running perfectly till about a week ago. Now it smokes excessivly on start up now and again, and Yesterday developed a massive oil leakage. I did a 400 Km round trip and used 5 litres of oil which is now on the road and sprayed all round the engine bay. All sorts of things are running through my mind but Im hoping to find a blocked relief valve, allowing oil into the turbo, but cant explain the leakage which seems to be on both sides of the engine, starting from approximately No1 area. Front of engine is clean. Described it best I can, any suggestions most welcome, and Yes Im expecting the broken rings theory as well.

NZTools, Dec 17, 8:37am
Check that the crankcase breather isnt blocked. Also, the oil had to come from somewhere. Try and find the sorce of the leak

franc123, Dec 17, 8:52am
If its leaking oil that badly it cant be that difficult to track down, after a thorough steam cleaning it seems to be coming from a number of sources yes you would have to suspect either breather problems or an excessive amount of blowby that the breather system can't cope with.Does it start easy and idle smooth!

msigg, Dec 17, 9:51am
Is the oil filler cap on the motor.

mugenb20b, Dec 17, 7:29pm
You wouldn't lose much oil if it wasn't there.

NZTools, Dec 17, 10:31pm
Wanna bet! Even leaving the dipstick out a couple of inches makes a hell of a mess on a long drive.

reggienz, Dec 18, 12:21am
Thanks for the input so far. yes I checked the cap and the dipstick. Thanks franc123, It does and always has started first turn and always idles smoothly.
This morning I took the intercooler off and the only place there was any oil blowing was the exhaust side of the turbo where it goes thru a valve and into the intercooler. Im just wondering if one of the hose clips may have been a bit loose or a split in one of the hoses, which I didnt find anyway. Next question. Should ther be oil blowing thru the turbo from the intake! Doesnt seem to be excessive blowby if I take off the oil cap, so Im ruling out blow by as the cause of the problem.